Dedicated folding machine

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by FannBlade, Jun 8, 2010.

1. FannBlade

FannBlade Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 + GTX 260
    Questions:
    I have enough parts on hand to build a folding machine using a GTX260 and a Intel 2.66 dual core.

I will be using GPU2 on this machine (although I'm using GPU3 beta on my 470). This will be for folding only 24/7.

1. XP or Win7? (if XP do I install all the service packs?)
    2. Antivirus program (Yes or NO)?
    3. Anything I can do to maximize scoring?
    4. What version should I install? (I usually use system tray)
    5. Should I fold both CPU and GPU?

system (if needed)
    p-45 chipset, 4 gig ram, one old 36gig raptor (sata),550watt PSU
    This will be an open air system (no case).

Also this is a factory OC'ed card can or should I go back to stock timing with Afterburner or should I use Riva Turner?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. PantherX

PantherX Folding@Home Team Leader

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    1) Your choice. No idea about SP

2) Yes (as you will be having internet connection 24/7) I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials as it is free and you can exclude the folder and the .exe files that F@H uses.

3) OC the CPU/GPU and make sure that the system is stable for F@H. You can use StressCPU 2.0, MemtestG80 1.1, InterlBurnTest and Furmark to check stability.

4) Console is easier to set-up.

5) GPU = GPU3 BETA Client (unless you want to reinstall the Client once the GPU2 Client gets phased out once the projects are over) CPU = SMP2 preferred if you can OC the system to 3.0

Personally, I am using MSI Afterburner and it hasn't given me any problems yet. Also the layout is very nice and easy-to-use

3. iancook221188

iancook221188 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 670 SLI / GTX 460 SLI
    sound cool FannBlade

to answer your questions

gpu2 should be good for now on the 260, they are trying to just seen the gpu3 work unit to the 400 series card because are not many work unit to go around but sometime down the line we will all go over to gpu3

1. it up to you on that one there is not a different on os xp/7
    2. i would just in case even tho i dont use it at the moment on my mane computer
    3/4/5 running clinet on both your cpu and gpu is fine but the cpu will have a bit of ppd lost like 5-10% but rember that if your runnig both you will get more ppd than running just one.
    smp for the cpu http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.29beta-win32-SMP-mpich.exe
    and gpu2 for the 260
    overclocking any of your components is up to you but,
    i will just say just from experience that you have the mainbord for overclocking i should no lol im using it right now quad @4ghz on air
    some people dont want to overclock there gpu but as long as you have got good cooling you will be fine usually it the shader clock that will get you more ppd but i give the core clock a bit as well to help and it does memory make no diffrents to folding you could put it down if you wanted to, same with the cpu good cooling and try not to put to much voltage through it you should not need much if any more to get to 3.6-4.0
    ived used most of the overclocking utilities evga prision, Afterburner there all good
    hope this helps
    if you need help overclocling the cpu there are many people hear to help
    haha PantherX got there as i posted it lol

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. Grillz9909

Grillz9909 Member

GPU:
    Sapphire HD 5770 1gb
    1. Use whatever you already have
    2. I wouldn't if it's just for folding and you by some miracle get a virus, you can just wipe it.
    3. Overclocking, and in w7 there are things you can do like turning off aero.
    4. Not sure
    5. I would test with only cpu or only gpu and then both. See what you get the most points with and use that!

5. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti
    Turning off Aero will not have any impact on the F@H Production. If you are experiencing desktop lagging, it is recommended to enable Aero.

6. FannBlade

FannBlade Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 470 + GTX 260
    Thanks for the info.
    I'll give them all a shot and see what works best.

7. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    linux anyone?

8. PantherX

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti