My second N5 failed....

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by sykozis, Jun 30, 2014.

1. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Ok, so, my second Nexus5 has failed. Quite disappointed in the phone overall as it's now the second failure in the 7 months since I purchased the original. So, at this point, I'm not really interested in contacting LG about the issues. Here are my options....

Nexus4 (already own, it works but can be flaky)
    Nokia Lumia 521 (It's only about $130 after tax from T-Mo)
    Motorola Moto G Google Play Edition (it's cheap and not made by LG or Samsung)

Yes, I know. The Lumia 521 and Moto G are both downgrades from my N4....which is supposedly a downgrade from the N5.

I know the specs of each device already. I'm not worried about the cameras as I don't buy phones for their cameras. I'm familiar with WP7 but not WP8.....so, WP8 users, some input would be appreciated.

This is not an Android vs WP debate. Just looking for opinions in regards to the 3 phones listed above and, of course, WP8's progress compared to WP7 (only if you actually have experience with WP8).

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    WP8 is a huge leap from WP7, and if you join the dev preview you can update to WP8.1 which is a huge leap from WP8, supposed to be rolling out next month anyway if you prefer to wait

Ive had a Lumia 710 on WP7.5 and WP7.8

Then a Lumia 520 on WP8 and WP8.1

Now have a Lumia 625, again was on WP8, now on WP8.1

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Failed as in out right dead? I know a fair few people with the N5 all without problems but anyways have you checked the moto X out?

Great phone that's decently priced (over here at least) it's specs are similar to the n4 but with a almond screen and a good camera.Build quality is nice and it has some nice voice integration and good battery.

Moto G is nice n cheap but tbh it's quite a big downgrade from the n4 nether mind the n5

I've only used W7 phones so can't really comment on W8 apart from they look like they have fixed the issues I had with W7 phones.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Been a while since I had my WP7 phone, but I do remember when I bought my WP8 L520, thinking that just about everything I wished WP7 had, they had fixed/included in WP8

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    how much time are you planning to spend with them? if you only need a cheap phone for a while I would take the L521, if not, moto G, but if you already got the N4 then keep using it until it dies lol, or is it too painful to live with? in that case seems you have no luck with droids, I would try something new *cog cog, lumia 521

Last edited: Jun 30, 2014
  6. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The Moto G is probably the best budget phone on the market right now to be honest, although the 521 is a cracking bit of kit for how cheap it is. Sorry to hear you having these issues, my Nexus 5 has been a joy to use since I got it.

7. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    The Moto G is a brilliant phone, great battery, prefer it to my S3, got one for a family friend, only downside was the camera and lack of memory card, the 4g moto G adds micro sd and is dirt cheap still. Any reason you want the Google play edition. The stock moto G is basically running pure android anyway with a few tiny improvements.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Moto G at least has LTE. The N4 didn't, plus development is huge for the Moto G.

9. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The Moto X recommended by DesGaizu is not an option. It's not available from any carriers locally and is outside of my intended budget range. I don't need a "high-end" phone. I just need a phone that..."just works". From my experience, barring hardware failures...WP phones "just work".

I love Android 4.4.x on the N5, but having 2 fail in a 7 month period doesn't give much confidence. My N4 has taken a beating and for the most part works, but it is a bit flaky as a result. It has times where it will randomly turn itself off or restart. It also has times where it will randomly lag like hell for no reason at all. As vbetts points out, the N4 also lacks 4G and is painfully slow when relying on it's mobile data connection as it relies on T-Mo's 2G/Edge network.

My N4, as stated, is heavily abused....and unreliable for long-term use. T-Mo is my carrier of choice because it offers no contract service and a reasonable price for the service offered. My plan, for 2 smartphones, is only ~$85 a month. The next closer in price is Verizon at almost $140 a month, so I'll be sticking with T-Mo for the foreseeable future.

10. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    second N5 failed?? damn dont scare me like that! i bought a nexus 5 in the beginning of the year :S

11. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Can't sing the Moto G praises enough, best smart phone I have ever had. Nothing but the price is "Budget" about it.

12. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Yep.... I've had 2 fail already. Didn't even get 4 months out of them, combined. Got the first phone on March 12, 2014.....got the second one in the mail 3 weeks later. 2 weeks for the first phone, 11.5 weeks for the second phone.

13. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I appreciate the input guys. Ran down to T-Mo last night and attempted to play with the Lumia 521. Unfortunately, it's battery was dead. So, while I was waiting to take care of other business, I started playing around with the other phones on display. Well, my budget went out the window. Fortunately, I'm just a tight wad and my budget was only self-induced as I ended up walking out with a Galaxy S4.... It's not quite what my N5 was but still a nice phone.

I decided to contact LG about my N5.... Waiting to hear back from them. If by some miracle they're willing to replace it, I'll just sell the replacement. If not, my long-time run with LG phones will come to an end and I'll mail them back a smashed Nexus5.

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Thought you didn't want a Sammy? You could have picked up the old HTC one M7 or the motoX for the same price iirc.

15. suture

suture Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1070 GTX
    Any clue why they failed? out of the blue? or they easily die with a small fall?

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Didn't want a Sammy, but up until today my wife's S3 had been working perfectly fine.

Unfortunately, neither the HTC One M7 or Moto X are available locally. The best options available locally were the Lumia 521, LG G2 and the S4. Ultimately, I couldn't go back to a smaller screen and the Lumia 521 having only a 4" screen just wasn't appealing once I was actually looking at the phone. That 1" doesn't seem like a big difference, until you place a phone with a 4" screen next to one with a 5" screen. The LG G2 lost out due to lack of immediately available accessories (no screen protectors in stock and I'm already hard on phones) and the poorly (for me) placed power and volume buttons. The S4 was the only phone left that, aside from the Touchwiz UI, had no real downside. So far, I've actually enjoyed the phone. Still learning how to use it though since it's so different from stock android.

The first phone just failed suddenly. It was working just fine when I set it down and 15 minutes later when I picked it up, it was dead. Tried turning it back on and nothing happened. Tried charging it and after a couple hours it still wouldn't turn back on.

The second phone was working just fine Saturday evening (June 21) when I left the first stop of my vacation travel. By the second stop (to sleep for the night) it had lost signal. We returned home at 2:45am Sunday (June 29) and the phone is still unable to get a signal or even detect the carrier network. The phone freezes constantly and gets quite hot. The phone neither gets a cellular signal or data signal. Works fine on wifi though....until it freezes.

In both cases, the phones appeared to work just fine on their prior usage and showed no indication of problems.

After the incidents with my N4, I was very careful with my N5. My N4 has survived several drops of 4+ feet onto a concrete floor with no obvious physical damage. It didn't finally show any signs of issues until I slipped on a patch of ice and landed on the phone. Aside from the aforementioned issues, my N4 is still fully functional and shows no signals of physical damage. Expecting the N5 to be a bit more fragile, it's been kept in a protective case since the night it was bought and has been handled very gently.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  17. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I've had two fail as well but not as catastrophically. One the headset speaker just stopped working, the second the power button got stuck inside the phone and it just boot looped. RMA'd through Google both times and received a new one -- didn't have to pay for shipping. It is a pain in the ass though

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I got an e-mail back from LG this morning. I'll be shipping my Nexus 5 back to them first chance I get. They seem to believe the issues is with the SIM card reader so hopefully it'll get fixed. I'm really liking the S4, but I miss the simplicity of my N4....

19. morbias

morbias Don TazeMeBro

GPU:
    -
    Hey man, get a protective case for your S4! Seriously, the bezel is so thin that any small drop will destroy the screen, and the digitizer and LCD are bonded together so it costs a lot to replace.

I've got an S4 too and I dropped it 2 feet onto a carpeted floor where it proceeded to bounce into an office chair. The bezel has a disproportionately massive ding in it yet somehow the screen did not shatter, seriously lucky; or, considering it was the day after I got the phone, seriously unlucky. But it made me go out and buy a case straight away, the phone isn't built to last - one drop and it's a goner.

I had to replace an S4 screen for a friend of mine last week too. First time it had been dropped and the entire screen completely shattered.

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Morbias is correct, the S4 is known to be fragile. I looked up a lot of S5 reviews before I got mine (due to it arriving so damn late here) and there were a lot of comparisons to the S4 and in all of them the S4 was as fragile as can be. Which is kind of scary considering the S5 isn't exactly something I would consider durable from what I saw despite it being "tougher" than what the reviewers expected.

Get a case and a screen protector as well to prevent any possible scratches. Even though it is Gorilla Glass it can still end up getting its anti-oil coating scratched. Instead of a typical plastic screen cover I bought a tempered glass one and I highly recommend them, no bubbles and they don't scratch very easily. A lot of them claim 9H hardness which is BS but they're tough enough that they're extremely difficult to scratch, and they'll offer some shatter protection for your real screen which a plastic one wouldn't.

For the record 9H hardness is equal to corundum's (sapphire/ruby) hardness, and I have a hard time believing random tiny Chinese companies selling cheap glass can temper them that well.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014