Recording Overwatch with MSI Afterburner issues

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by specialfresh, Feb 15, 2017.

1. specialfresh

specialfresh Guest

GPU:
    Powercolor R9 390 8G OC
    Hi, this is my first time in this forum. Sorry if this topic has been asked before, or if I'm not doing this correctly. I did extensive searching and could not find a solution to my problem, if there even is one.

I like to use afterburner for video recording, it's excellent for this and I really enjoy the buffer feature which is absent in many other programs such as OBS or FRAPS (FRAPS is also very outdated, I'm not going to use that). My problem is that with Overwatch and only Overwatch, no matter what settings I fool around with my recordings always come out torn. The link below is what I am talking about.

drive.google.com/open?id=0B-53T-lXYORCYUlySnk3ZThqUUE

(Sorry that's on google drive, gfycat didn't work) You can see it starts out fine, then the video becomes a glitchy mess. It looks a lot worse on the original recording, GDrive doesn't look as bad for some reason. Sound is not affected.

I tried everything I could to fix this, such as lowering the recording framerate to 30 instead of 60, changing the method of compression, nothing works. I thought it could have been a DX11 issue, but I tested several other DX11 titles and they worked fine. What I am asking for is if there is someone that has experienced this issue, and if anyone has successfully recorded overwatch with Afterburner.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  2. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    I downloaded the file in order to properly view the corruption and I suggest everyone else interested also do that, since the google site video viewer doesn't properly show the problem.

I have this sort of corruption in Battlefield 1. It seems like the video has two different images from slightly different times alternating frame by frame. Corruption only appears some of the time. Has only started recently.

3. jiminycricket

jiminycricket Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Maybe an AMD issue. No problems here recording OW or any other game using AB w/NvENC plugin on Kepler and Maxwell GPUs.

4. gedo

gedo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700 XT 12GB
    So I finally enabled the OSD overlay for the recorded videos and investigated this further.

Turns out recording increased the CPU load considerably even though I'm encoding using Quick Sync. The sequences with the garbled video had a steady 100 % CPU load on all cores (Core i5: 4 cores, 4 threads) - this was happening maybe a bit less than half the total duration of the video, every now and then - usually during firefights when there's lots going on on the screen. Load increase compared to not recording was in the order of 20+ percentage points accross all cores.

Since the recording used to work fine with the same settings, I though something must have changed "by itself" on my system. Since I always manually update AMD drivers, the next suspect was Intel graphics drivers, which I hadn't updated myself for quite a while - maybe Windows 10 had updated them and messed them up?

So I reinstalled Intel graphics drivers (uninstall, run Display Driver Uninstaller in safe mode, install, restarts between all). This seems to have fixed the problem for me - loads are no longer keeping at 100 % and videos seem to work. I'll update after a week or so when I have more data - I have tried two recordings so far and both are fine.

EDIT: I now realize my solution may not apply to the OP, since I use Intel, but it may still be a driver problem.

EDIT2 with the greyed-out text: Didn't actually fix anything.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017