GTX750 Ti In PCIe 8x?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by OrdinaryOregano, Jun 4, 2014.

1. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    Hi there, my old PC's GPU died recently and I was looking for a replacement, now I don't use that older PC much but I was looking into GTX750 ti for decent enough performance but since the mobo is quite old I'm not sure it's compatible. I was looking into the card because the old GPU was just inserted into the slot and had no other power cables and 750 ti seems to be a similar case.

The motherboard is Asus M2N8-VMX and it has a PCIe 8x slot and as far as I'm aware modern cards are 16x at the very least.

Will it be compatible? Thanks.

2. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Yes, it will be fine.

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My GTX 680 runs at only 8x aswell and there is no performance drop.

Even a TITAN has no issues at 8x, it's not even 1 FPS difference vs 16x.

Only when using PCI-E Gen2 there is a noticable difference between 16x and 8x.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    I assume that means there's no 'physical' difference between x8 and x16 then, thanks guys.

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Electrical vs. Physical # lanes.

Graphics cards have x16 physical PCI-E connectors. Motherboards have at least one of those. However, depending on the chipset, number of devices connected to the PCI-E bus, etc... the slot might be run at a lower number of lanes electrically e.g. x8, x4, x2, x1.

Other devices use x1, x2, or x4 physical PCI-E slots, like soundcards, RAID cards, network cards, capture cards, TV tuners, etc... and those like to run at the same electrical number of lanes as their physical slot allows them to. They could run at less, and they also fit in larger slots.

Cards with physically larger slots may fit in smaller slots as long as those slots are not closed by plastic at the back.

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    About the same.

7. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The board you're using only has PCIE Gen 2. So 8X vs 16 is a pretty big difference. Thankfully, it probably won't be noticeable given the processor you're likely pairing it with.

8. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    youll be fine and i doubt you would notice the difference to a gen 3 16x slot. i doubt there is one, at least in 99% of all cases.

power wise as well, it should work just fine in a 8x lane, as it should only be the data connection that got halfed, not the power specification :)

you'll be fine!

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    you wont notice any difference with that gpu, whatever you use pci e 2.0 8x, pci e2.0 16x same with pci e 3.0.

10. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    So I bought the GPU but the monitor displays nothing, the monitor light just keeps blinking.

Just to test if the GPU was perhaps faulty, I went ahead and installed it in my newer PC and there was no display issue, it worked properly.

Now I'm unsure what the issue is and what I can do, it shouldn't have any incompatibility issues based on the general response here plus seeing that it fit into the slot perfectly. I'm at my wit's end now.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    update bios on that old MB.

12. OrdinaryOregano

OrdinaryOregano Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Gaming X
    The issue was with the RAM stick, removed one of them and the PC booted up fine, thanks.