ATI Mobility Radeon 5730 problem

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by AXG, Sep 26, 2011.

Tags:
  1. AXG

AXG Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730 1GB
    New to Guru3d and I keep having a weird problem which I believe is related to my GPU.

Basically certain games(the most recent being Dirt 3) shut my laptop down without warning. Right before the shut down the audio and video becomes extremely choppy and then a black screen for a few seconds before a complete shut down with out a restart.

I know most people will tell me that its a overheating issue but I can turn the laptop back on instantly so I don't think its that. Plus it doesn't happen with every game. It also happened on Fear 1 and briefly on WoW Cata until offical DX11 patches fixed the WoW thing for me.

The last time it happened I was using Catalyst 11.5b so fix the "red sun" problem in Dirt 3. Currently downloading a beta of 11.9.

Btw: This problem has persisted through several complete re-installs of Windows 7 and the time it takes to shut down varies from 5 minutes up to 30 minutes. The laptop is less than a year old and was never dropped.

Any advice would be highly appreciated :)

2. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5650m (550/800)
    If it's not with every game and you can still boot it up right after it's being turned off then I'm guessing the one that overheats was the GPU, not the CPU; booting up isn't exactly GPU taxing, and I imagine 5730 is a hot one.
    My 550MHz Mobility 5650 always makes the system fan whirring loudly whenever I'm playing GPU heavy games.

If a complete reinstall doesn't help with anything, then it's probably nothing wrong on the software side, don't you think?
    It's probably better to just backup your files, wipe the drive, reinstall Windows 7 up until the same problem shows up, and then send it for a repair while the warranty is still in effect.

3. AXG

AXG Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730 1GB
    Yeah I was hoping that it wasn't that because sending it in for repairs is always a real pain plus I only have one laptop so that's at least 2 weeks without it :/

but thanks for replying, at least now I know someone else besides me thinks I should send it in lol thank god for a 2 year warranty :D

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Def overheating, you can send it in for repair, which it may or may not be better or apply thermal paste yourself.

5. AXG

AXG Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730 1GB
    Yeah I guess I knew it all along but didn't want to admit it lol I wouldn't mind applying thermal paste myself but might as well send it in since there is still a good amount of time left on my warranty.

6. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Eh, I'd say just abuse the warranty until it voids. =b

Anyway, seems like a 5730 Mobility does run hotter (didn't really check it before, heh); it defaults to 650Hz.
    A 100Hz more than mine probably doesn't look much, but in the cramped world of laptops, it does.

7. AXG

AXG Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730 1GB

I think that's what I will do in relation to the warranty ;)

and I can completely understand how "only" 100Hz can add LOTS of degrees to the mix

ps: just checked, on idling its at 60C =140F which is pretty hot and I have seen it go up to 100C

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  8. rylen

rylen Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    WOW! I think that's pretty high, my OCed 5470 idles at 44C and at full load 75C Shader @ 880Mhz / mem @ 880Mhz, I know that your 5730 is more powerful than my 5470 but it shouldn't heat up like that,

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. AXG

AXG Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730 1GB
    yea its on fire lol

playing dirt 3 with the new version of catalyst(11.9) and it hangs around 87C-89C and the most was 94C so there is probably something wrong there lol

10. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    @rylen
    It's probably due to 5470 has 80 SPU (Stream Processing Unit), and 'us' (5650 & 5730) have 400 SPU. ;)

@AXG
    Sh!t, didn't realize you've edited your last post back then; that was damn hot. :p
    I still use this as a base.
    Mine idles at 55C @550MHz (closed room, no ventilation whatsoever); 52C if I turn my AC on (@25C).

11. AXG

AXG Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730 1GB
    Yeah so I guess there is something wrong then. :( The laptop is on a glass table and is slightly inclined in the back so there is theoretically enough air flow but I guess it must be a defect or something. (maybe as mentioned earlier the thermal paste needs to be changed)

12. rylen

rylen Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1060 6GB
    yes I know that a 5650 has more SPUs, my brother has the same card (5650) on his Acer 4745G and his idles at 48C to 50C and temp at 80C at full load (only 5C difference from my 5470).

13. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And a little correction on my temps; 57~58C on idle without AC, 55~56C with.

At full load (Deus Ex HR, 1280x720, FXAA High, all effects at Normal, 16x AF, Triple Buffering), tops out around 80~81C.
    Checked the temps after around 1 hour of playing on the last level in Panchaea, via MSI Afterburner's OSD.

Btw, what's the model of your MSI laptop?
    I use a cooler because my VAIO's exhaust is frakking small for the load I usually give it like extended gaming (I once clocked ~7 hours straight of Civ V heh) & extended program compiling (i.e big projects) with VS2010.

14. pmignault

pmignault Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730
    I have the exact same Laptop and I confirm that it's overheating and shuts down when playing resource intensive games. F*** You MSI!

15. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Start up Furmark and see if the laptop does the same thing. If so, then it is more then likely overheating (worse case GPU malfunction, although I'm pretty sure there would be more obvious signs if this were the case). Could start up HWMonitor to watch temps too (I hear 80C is the max on most GPU's?)

16. pmignault

pmignault Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730
    Here are my results.

IDLE
    [​IMG]

STRESSED
    [​IMG]

I did not bother letting the test shutdown my laptop, but it would have without a doubt.

17. k1net1cs

k1net1cs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    WTF that's over water's boiling point! o_O

Not necessarily.
    I've used the GPU on this laptop for folding and it easily hits 89~90C.
    I've let it finish one WU without a hitch.
    (though personally I won't leave it even half a day at that kind of temp.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  18. pmignault

pmignault Guest

GPU:
    ATI Mobility 5730
    It's hot enough to cook the Thanksgiving turkey if you plan to play Skyrim the entire day.

19. MDewy

MDewy Member

GPU:
    ATI HD 5650M Bios OCed
    My HD5650 runs @625 for the core and 900 for for the memory ... Max loaded Temp while putting my CPU/GPU @burning tests is like 75c and gaming temps are 60~72 depending on the game but mostly around the 65 area ... idling @ 40~45c ...

Your GPUs are abnormally overheating ... try to vacuum your vents but make sure that you can stop ur fan from spinning under the vacuum suction I use that thing women use to do their nails no idea what its name is but it does the trick :D