Counterfeit Intel Server NIC's

Discussion in 'Network questions and troubleshooting' started by Lavcat, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Recently I've purchased three Intel Server NIC's: an i350-T2 from newegg and two PRO/1000 MT Dual Server NIC's from two different amazon third party vendors.

The i350-T2 from newegg appears genuine, has a valid Intel Yottamark, and works.

The PRO/1000 MT Dual Server NIC's from amazon are a different story. Both NIC's are identified as Intel(R) PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter, VERSION:A85412-006, MM:884143, PCODE:pWLA8492MT.

However the cards are different lengths, and neither matches the physical dimensions listed on Intel's data sheet. One of the two cards does not even have the correct edge connector. It is only a 32-bit PCI bus, even though the box says it's PCI-X. (Once upon a time I used to manufacture PCI cards for a living).

And of course there is no Yottamark on either.

I called Intel and reported that I believed I had purchased counterfeit Intel parts. The Intel representative did not seem to care. He asked if they were not working? I replied I didn't know if they worked or not. He at least was able to confirm for me that the PRO/1000 MT should have a Yottamark.

Based on this I plan to ask amazon to take these cards back, as being counterfeit. I am not exactly pleased, but I did not want to accuse someone of selling counterfeit goods without evidence.

I've posted this here:

a. to vent.

b. to let others know about the problem.

c. to ask if anyone knows where I can buy a real PRO/1000 MT?

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
  3. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX

Thanks. I had seen this offer, but since the card is sold by a third party vendor rather than by newegg, how can I trust it is any more genuine than those sold by amazon third party vendors?

4. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    Did the cards come from Amazon or a third party store?

5. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Sorry, didn't see that part. I don't order from Newegg like I used to so I'm still getting used to them acting as a "middle man" like Amazon does. I generally avoid 3rd party resellers myself.

I can't find them on a reputable site. ServerSupply.com has them listed, but from the reviews I've read the site isn't legitimate and generally participates in fraudulent business practices. All of the positive reviews read like they've been planted to boost site ratings.

Update: Don't know how memory4less is to deal with...but they have it listed.
    Intel PRO/1000 MT Dual Port Server Adapter Mfr P/N PWLA8492MT

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  6. Lavcat

Lavcat Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7900 XTX
    Maybe I will give memory4less a call.

The two amazon cards I bought were sold from digitalcpu and ECHO MAN (fulfilled by amazon).

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    memory4less used to sell through Amazon. I've just never dealt with them directly.