Conflicting info about gsync

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Bigbeard1986, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    I am not quite sure how to use gsync - I recently got a new acer predator and a gtx1080.

In the control panel, I have gsync set to on, and I realized vsync was also on. When I would game, the fps on my 165hz monitor would cap to 164.5 fps.

Now, when I turned vsync off, the fps cap is removed, and the fps can hit 200 in games like battlefield - does this now mean gsync is not working above the 165fps range?

How am I really supposed to use this, if I want to stay in the gsync range (165hz/fps)?

2. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    So at 165fps+, vsync will be on, but this also introduces vsync input lag, correct? Would the best option then be to limit the fps?

I read you should cap your fps to a few less than the hz of your monitor. Is this just a few, or an actual percentage? Capping it at 161fps for the 165hz would be best?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  3. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    Yes you get a tiny bit of lag or at least I do at 144fps when vsync kicks in so I turn vsync off and limit my fps to 140 in afterburner , (i only have a few games that will go over 144fps anyway but the lag is noticable if you play games like cs go where pointer precision is a must , ive seen videos where pro gamers play at 300 fps but i cant stand it)

Id cap it just below 144 (or your max refresh) because it does have a tendancy to go over a little

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  4. Bigbeard1986

Bigbeard1986 Guest

GPU:
    16gb
    Why cant NVidia design gsync to be able to cap itself at the max rate, as opposed to relying on vsync? this defeats the purpose of having sync with no added input lag, as now if you get max fps, you end up using vsync. makes no sense.

Does limiting the fps with rivatuner add in any anomalies?

5. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    I suppose if they do that then anyone wanting higher fps will have to disable gsync every time.

Ive not noticed anything out of the ordinary limiting fps , i only really need it in cs go , bf4 and battlefront. Those games dont appear to behave any differantly when it hits the cap , but as i have got older i notice less :D

6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    If you have a 144 hz monitor is not a big deal, just turn up the settings enough that it drops below. Or do what I do and set a global fps limit in RTSS to 140 fps.

7. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    ^this.

8. archie123

archie123 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus 1080ti Extreme
    we already been through all this