amd 390x headache

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by dsbig, Mar 14, 2017.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    been having problems with my 390x when its idle and getting display driver has stopped responding.

mostly happens when web browsing.

also can not adjust clocks speed through msi burner, I can put +1 mhz and click apply and driver stops responding and system will bsod.

wattman I can adjust it and system wont bsod. but if I switch voltage control to manual, it bsod.

but it only does it when clocks are idle.

also in windows 7 its worse then windows 10. as system will always bsod, windows 10 will reset the driver most of the time.

now testing with clock blocker to keep clocks up, will see how that goes.
    I also have ulps disabled.
    to me I think the clock go to idle too fast.

because when using chrome and watching streaming. and multitasking.

with out clock blocker....
    core clock jumps between 300mhz and 500mhz
    mem jump back and forth 150mhz to 1500mhz.

wish amd would have option to disable low power state or have high performance option.

I had the same issue sometimes when I had a nvidia card. but it wasnt this bad though.

if this card is bad. there is nothing I can do. its the only card I have..and cant afford new one until next year.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Cant you just edit your bios and set desired clocks and voltages then flash it?

3. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    yeah thats true.

but I never liked messing with bios...

would have to read more into it.

4. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Are you 100% certain that the card is stable under normal clocks? Try uninstalling everything (including Afterburner), use DDU to completely remove the driver and install 17.3.1 again. Use it for a week or so normally without enabling Wattman and see if your hardware is stable.

5. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    the windows 7 install I tested in, was a clean install I did sunday. so everything is fresh.

in windows 10 ddu was used. the driver doesnt always stop responding. but screen would flicker with vertical lines.

but so far sense I used clock blocker to keep the clocks higher, it hasnt done it.

in windows 7 today, my system bsod 4 times until I ran clock blocker. then it stopped.