Whats The very best dual Socket motherboard currently???

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by A M D BugBear, Feb 27, 2016.

1. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Hello, I was wondering whats the current if anyone knows, the very best dual socket motherboard that's out currently???

I was looking into the Asus dual socket lga-2011 V3 mobo, looks very nice but I was wondering if anyone knows about others, I have looked into supermicro and asrock but I am mostly ALL asus, always been asus for motherboard for years with the exception of EVGA x58 micro mobo I had awhile back.

Thanks a bunch.

2. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I'm looking to upgrade too in coming months,as right now I'm still on X58 Xeon platform,but I'm looking to get dual socket motherboard

I'm leaning towards to Tyan or Supermicro motherboards,I do like some Asus or Asrock motherboards,but all depends in my case on price and features,as right now friend running Tyan motherboard and have no issues

If you are looking at Asus dual CPU/socket motherboards threads over on overclock.net then you know why I don't want to go with their motherboards,as they have their own issues etc

Hard to recommend,but I would have look on few threads regarding the dual socket boards

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

3. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Thanks jura11 for responding, yes, my next build will be consist of two of one of the one I am using currently right now, going very heavy into folding@home, Rosetta@home, really looking into 3d Modelling programs, Gaming,etc.

Another quick question, Who's the photo in the avatar you are using?? Link please or name of person, curious, thanks.

4. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I'm currently heavy user of the 3D SW like 3DS MAX,Maya and Poser Pro and DAZ3D Studio and plus few render engines like V-RAY,Corona Render and Reality plus few others which I use,but above those are my most of used right now and in those SW my CPU is fast enough,but when I do render and mostly I do use CPU more and more as with GPU rendering,you are really need few of powerful GPU like Titan X if its CUDA and for OpenCL then I would say 390X is best GPU for money,I do like to use GPU but really unsure if this will be for me as I've right now Titan X and 780 which I use for rendering in CUDA renderers and I'm not very impressed and in Corona Render I can't use GPU for acceleration and few renderers doesn't support some features in GPU mode and getting new renderer like is Octane can and seems option for me if I get second Titan X,but really I don't want to be tied to CUDA only

And due above reasons I'm looking get dual socket/CPU motherboard like you,not sure if I would go with 2011 or 2011v3 motherboard where I can't put in later stage more GPU and will be not limited to single CPU etc,but as right now I will be waiting on the AMD "Zen" and will be looking forward what will bring us or I will be getting dual CPU motherboard too

This photo which I use as my avatar,I've rendered this in 3DS MAX few months back with V-RAY,exported as OBJ from Poser Pro

Link on DevianArt

http://jura78.deviantart.com/art/Like-a-Sit-with-AlfaseeD-110-1-527140433

[​IMG]

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

5. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    There is some E5/V3 cpu's that can overclock like one bad mofo such as the 16XX series however there one huge downfall here, only can do 1 cpu configuration, can not do multiple cpu's like the one I have, :(.

I was also looking into, awhile back, x79 mobos and some e5/v2 cpu's as some had good oc results, not all but some. That evga dual mobo classified is one bad mobo and man they go prettie expensive on ebay, found one awhile back for over 1000.00 u.s.d, I think this was just bare mobo, no cpu attached.

For 3d modelling, I was looking to blender, that looks prettie good, have you tried blender yet???

6. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Have look on this thread over on Overclock.net

http://www.overclock.net/t/1591590/xeon-hacking-and-overclocking-x79-x99-beyond-x58

I know some older Xeons(16xx) are unlocked and can be overclocked,some reports just minimal increase

Really depends on what are you looking to do there,I've saw few gaming benches where Xeon hasn't been slower than i7,but where Xeon always wins is in multithreaded apps like is rendering or in content creation etc

This EVGA dual socket motherboards always have been very expensive,like older X58,they're selling like £500 which I've found cheapest with one socket which hasn't working or again I found one in pristine condition and that cost £1000 which is a lot for old X58 motherboard,I saw only once X79 EVGA dual socket,I've asked that guy fir buy it now price,he never replied me,motherboard at the end has been sold beyond what I've been prepared to pay

Regarding 3D SW,Blender I've tried,but for love of god,I just hate that stupid UI there,this SW is great starting place and I've used Blender for while,but really I've been so frustrated with their UI and right now I'm using for modeling 3DS MAX,I've only student version there which is OK for my needs,same I've Maya which is student version or with Student licence and those are great for my needs

I would give try Blender if you are not tried already there,Blender have great features,plus Cycles which is great render engine and more and more people use Blender for content creation etc

There are lots of great tutorials for Blender and I would highly recommend have look on them and try Blender...

I've created few works with Blender in past and rendered that in 3DS MAX with Corona or other render engines or exported that to Poser Pro or DS.

I know several people or several content creator which only use Blender for their content creation

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

7. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

Wow, modding the microcode of the cpu going along further, modding the mobo bios, have you ever did such thing Jura?

If you ever done such thing, has it worked for you??

Also, I changed some turbo tdp related stuff within my bios, made squat diddly doo difference...

8. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I've tried some BIOS modding in past,but nothing on the X99 there,I don't have such motherboard and CPU,I know few friends which tried,but there has been little success

Great forum is BIOS MODS where people post their request there and I would recommend have look there and too on hardforum where people do have probably more experience with E5/E3 Xeon like we over here

I know people who have E5 Xeon on server motherboards and they sue their PC for rendering etc but usually they don't mod their BIOS for unlocking extra OC

I would probably go with highest clocked Xeon CPU and with more possible cores and HT,my plan is go with dual Xeon with 10-12 cores/20-24 HT cores and 64GB RAM,that's the plan which I'm planning

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

9. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Hello again, this is kind of off topic, quick question:

When stress testing my cpu, why is my multiplier going from x28 to low as 26.5 when my Cstate and intel speedstep is turned off??

Originally I thought the Bclck was set to high, was testing at 105.8, then went back to 105.5, was doing the same thing but not as bad, does this mean that the Bclck is still set to high, is that whats causing the issue???

I know I tested the 105.5 for almost an hr like over a week ago, not a problem, but what really caught my eye was the Bclk going up and down, even with all the power saving stuff is turned off.

I'll try to set the bclk to a lower value and see how it goes, strange.

My memory timings are prettie tight now, you think that could be the cause of the issue?

I do know that if your timings are to tight in general, sometimes the memory becomes missing within the bios.

UPDATE:

Ok, I thought the turbo tdp settings were causing it, nope.

The stress test program I used was Aida extreme 560.

Funny thing is that when doing Folding@home with ALL 12 cores + ALL Threads, the mulitplier still says @ x28, WTF???

Going to try prime95 and see if it does the same bologna.

And folding@home @ 100% usage uses alot of power, all my usage is flat out 100%

LOL Update again:

Soon as I click start on Prime95, Wham, multiplier goes down quick, but why at such low voltage and such, highest cpu Temp(C's) was in the low to mid 40's, jeez.

When the cpu throttles down, it goes to x27, and speed stays @ 2.83.

UPDATE AGAIN:

I lowered my bclk to 100 and with multiplier of 28, guess what happens this time, it throttles down to a much lower speed, this time to 2.699???

So it doesn't have a set throttling down target speed,etc, it just throttles down period.

Is it staying within the TDP range, is this why the reason why?

UPDATE:

Ok, I checked folding@home tdp with Throttlestop program, use over 120w tdp but for some reason it doesn't go into throttle mode.

The cpu seems to throttle if its over like 130w tdp'ish or so.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

11. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Hey jura11, you won't believe this, I am startin' a new thread on this as its totally off topic of our discussion here, please check my new post, thanks for your help within this thread.

12. Socio

Socio Member

The ASUS Z10PE D8 or D16 probably the top tier the Supermicro X10DAL-i or X10DAX run a close second.

13. kbdfan

kbdfan Guest

GPU:
    msi gtx 980 4G gaming
    I've had a good experience with Asus boards in the past, If they are too expensive, Supermicro is definitely a good alternative/

14. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli
    Jura11, which would you choose???

Z10PE-D16 WS or Z10PE-D8 WS

Which of the two is higher(Level)?? D16???

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  15. Socio

Socio Member

The difference between the D8 and the D16 is basically the D8 has 8 ram slots and 7 card slots the D16 has 16 ram slots and 6 card slots.

So you can load up to 1024GB of ram on a D16 which is double the capacity of the D8 but you lose a PCI-E slot.

Also the D16 seems to run about a $100 cheaper.

16. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

As above Socio said,both have pros and cons.
    I would choose board which will best suit you,in my case I'm going probably down the route of the Supermicro X10,I've sold my PC and now in coming weeks I will be buying parts for my build..

What are yours plans there,how much RAM are looking to run and how many GPU you are looking to run ?

And for what yours PC will be used etc,on this you need decide,my plans are to use PC for rendering and 3D work.

Hope this helps there

Thanks,Jura

17. A M D BugBear

GPU:
    4 GTX 970/4-Way Sli

How can you use a pci-e slot when the ram ain't going to touch anything or is there a con where all ram slots are used then one pci-e slot is nullified?

I am looking into the d8 because of more slots, this could be more useful if I am looking into raiding the intel 750 ssd's.

18. Socio

Socio Member

On the D16 to make room for the extra ram slots they removed a PCI-E slot.

You just have to decide if your application requires more ram or more card slots.