DSR filter impact (need more information).

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Raiga, Oct 24, 2014.

1. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    DSR filter's visual impact (need more information).

So I have been trying to dig information about Nvidia's DSR implementations.

Nvidia gave us this
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dsr/technology

and a few seconds of google time gave me this
    http://theinstructionlimit.com/gaussian-blur-revisited-part-two
    http://rastergrid.com/blog/2010/09/efficient-gaussian-blur-with-linear-sampling/

Note: I think Nvidia's 13-Tap filter, was sourced from within their older blur implementations for Depth of Field feature and a requirement for a faster algorithm to do downsampling (than bi-linear, which is not great).

So at 4x DSR (ie 4K down-sampled to 1080p), its bound to give the best results at 50-60% smoothness value (from Nvcpl) for a CRT display like visual perception?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  2. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    and in old games and emulators result in benefit DSR? example snes9x with opengl render and DSR 4k to 1080p image is more beautiful?

AND another doubt

in movies is possible using DSR for more detais? a movie 1080p is possible apply DSR and image is processed in 4k and show 1080p in monitor or only for gaming?
    if player using render opengl might also be applied DSR for movie to.

someone already tested it?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
  3. Raiga

Raiga Maha Guru

GPU:
    GPU
    Never use full screen downsampling to play real world captures video files/movies (because its destructive), best to use proper shader suites (try SVP).

4. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    You already have the emulator scaling the internal rendering resolution to your selected screen output. The rendering resolution will be an option there for the gfx plugin, usually in the form of original resolution factors x1/x2/x3/x4 etc. (original res being whatever the game was programed to render at on the console)

5. DeathAngel74

DeathAngel74 Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti FTW3 Hbrd
    I've tried ePSXe and VBA at 1440p and 2160p. I don't see a difference between the two. But 1440p sure looks better than native res(1080p). I didn't like dsr in the beginning, but 1440p+20%smoothness, works well, haven't tried 4k yet. Actually I tried it on Rise of the Dark Spark and it was too blurry.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    DSR x 1.7x on my pc is the equivlant to put AO on at lest in skyrim, which 99% usage with out AO and ir dsr 1.7x like 60-70% usage in skyrim