Geforce 6600 GT High idle Temp?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Jameshuden, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 8800 GTS 320MB
    I am running a BFG 6600 GT and I just edited the bios to enable the Temperature monitor and It worked but what I want to know Is should this card be running at 68C to 70C idle? and 120C to 125C under full load?
    I have been reading other post of people running 55C to 60C Idle and 70C to 80C under full load. I am running the 77.77 drivers, stock cooling and It Is not overclocked Is this normal?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2005
  2. bopchie612

bopchie612 Guest

ya thats a lil warm might want to cleant it out probaly covered in dust

3. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    Well I pulled the card. Cleaned the fan and I have a fan mounted on the lower part of my side panel and It Is blowing directly on the video card and I still can not get the temp to go down but maybe a degree or two. Now I am running 68C to 70C Idle..
    Also the temp In side my case Is a cool 26C and my CPU runs at a cool 42C. What can I do?? Is the temp bug In the 77.77 drivers?

4. MB1_618

MB1_618 Member

GPU:
    2Gigabyte 6600GT GV-NX66T128D
    6600GT overheating

I Had exactly the same problem with my two Gigabyte 6600GTs SLI ,almost the same temperatures. I solve this with buying two Zalman VF700Cu VGA coolers and some Artic Silver 5 Thermal compound +Thermal Material Remouver & Surface Purifer.

Link to Reviews:http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-272-1.htm
    http://www.hardwarexl.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=214&Itemid=41&lang=en

Zalman:http://www.zalman.co.kr/

Artic Silver:http://www.arcticsilver.com/

My problem apear suddenly after 4 mouths of use .No dust,no vent failure nothing,

Now my temps. are 47-50C (idle) 60-63C (load) now is summer,but in winter i aspect 2-3C degree drop.
    Now are one mounth in use.

Warnning for 6600 AGP versions the cooler dont fit properly !

Link:http://www.zalman.co.kr/product/cooler/VF700_6600GT_eng.html

Alernative:http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=62

Sorry for Bad English!

5. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    make sure the HSF is in proper contact with the GPU, check if a thermal compound is in between the HSF and the GPU core.

6. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    Fist off how do I check the thermal compound on the card? I have never pulled a video card apart before and I don't want to mess It up.. Also for some reason the Idle Temp has went up to around 75C. How can I cool this card down until I can buy a new fan for It??

Last edited: Sep 10, 2005
  7. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    What could be causing this card to run such a high Idle Temp. I have 3 120mm fans In my system and one Is blowing right on the video card and I can not get It to run much lower than 70C.. Someone please help.. I don't want to burn this card up..

8. tytlyf

tytlyf Guest

GPU:
    eVga
    it's very easy to remove the stock heatsink. Takes a minute to do and it's harmless. I would go buy some arctic silver 5 so that when you take it off and clean that old junk paste they use, you can reseat the heatsink and your temps should drop significantly.
    Just look at how the heatsink is attached, and go from there. piece 'o cake

9. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    I will give It a try. thanks for your help. I will let you know If It works.. I have some arctic silver 5 that I used on my CPU so I will give It a try..

10. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    Well I was wrong I had some OCZ Ultra II. I removed the heat sink and fan unit and applied some OCZ Ultra II and my Idle temp Is now running at 60C to 62C. That Is almost a 15 degree drop In my Idle temp. I have not ran any games yet but I will see what happens under load later.

11. rebelflag

rebelflag Active Member

GPU:
    2X XFX GTX 260 Black Ed
    Let us know how it works under load. I have an evga 6600gt that is showing artifacts in 3DMark03 and 05. I have a feeling that it is heat related. The timings are all stock.

12. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    Well Its running 105C to 110C under full load at stock speed. I am not sure If that Is good or not. I was playing Earth 2160 In 1280 x 1024 res with all settings on high.

13. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    i think thats still pretty hot, mine runs around 77-85C(depending on the game) on stock speed/stock cooling, never gets beyond 100C, and i live on a tropical country with no airconditioning.... (then again, you have a BFG OC version which is overclocked at stock, you should check the heatsink mounting more).

14. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    Well I just played Madden and It ran between 70C and 80C and thats at 1600 x 1200 res with all settings on high so It might have to do with what game I am playing..

15. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2005

16. Jameshuden

Jameshuden Member Guru

GPU:
    I can't even get the demo to play..

17. drwngflies

drwngflies Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX260
    I had a Leadtek 6600Gt before this 6800, and it also ran hot:
    low 70's idle, and 90-95'C max
    I contacted nVidia, and they recommended a MAX temp of 90'C for all their chips, GPU, RAM, etc (samsung RAM)
    Installed Zalman VF700CU and dropped temps @ idle 12'C bringing it down to max of 75'C during Rthdbril, which is very taxxing on the Card, if run at larger resolutions.
    http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/index.html

18. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    odd, try using other drivers. I use this utility to heavily tax my card without consuming too much resources and to test artifacts.

19. rought

rought Master Guru

GPU:
    twin XFX 6800GT sli
    lap the bottom of the heat sink there not even close to being flat..
    I have that same card I use for a back up .. made big difference

20. Pelzimus

Pelzimus Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 970 4GB
    If that's what they recommend, then why the heck is that critical temperature treshold in forceware drivers bolted to 145 degrees and I can't change it?? Wouldn't the GPU be jammed/damaged already before reaching such temperatures...