Asus Gtx 780 Ti DirectCuII - hot?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by litwicki22, Jul 4, 2014.

1. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

have a Asus GTX 780 Ti DirectCU II OC and its really hot. I'm getting the max 83C when playing Watch Dogs. Clocks are stock. Its summer here. I am using closed case Cooler Master Centurion 590 . Is this normal for that card? I am using stock auto fan settings which is max 72%.

2. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Sounds like bad airflow in your case. The DCUII is a direct contact cooler, so in no way should it be getting that hot unless you have a super crazy OC and bad airflow.

I have the Cooler Master Storm Stryker with 2 bottom fans blowing upwards, 1 top blowing out, 1 back blowing out, 2 front blowing in. Works like a charm.

I have Reference ASUS GTX 780's in SLI OC'd to 1150/7000 and I never see above 65C on my top card, and 54-56C on my bottom card in Watchdogs.

Luckily I saw it during the summer sale so I grabbed it. I was able to minimize the stutters also but taking the frame buffer up to 5 from 1 in the graphics options in game. I get minimal stuttering now...maybe 1-2 seconds when loading a new area.

Is your card in danger? No, but I'd look into a better method of airflow if you can. If you have open spots for fans, maybe think about getting some and setting them up for proper airflow. People underestimate bottom fans. Having them blow cool air in from a lower area really helps. Hot air rises after all, and if you have a top fan blowing out it, it's a great combination.

Also try setting a custom fan profile for 80% at 80C. See how that goes.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. murderklok

murderklok Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 780 Ti
    Well the temp is fine, that's where the auto fan will keep it, but the fan rpm seems high for that.

Definitely figure out the airflow situation. Do you have a fan intake for the GPU on the side panel? I would look into some good airflow fans like Noctuas.

4. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

But other person with the same card like me, have the same temps like me 82-83C, even with the other biggest case than my ( Corsair Graphite 600T ).

Is any sense changing case now? What if i buy new and i will be get the same temps?

Can somebody guaranteed when i buy new case i will be have lower temps?

This is my actually case:

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2709

Its too small?

[​IMG]

5. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    With new video cards and cpu's running hotter these days, the case and design is very important.

That case would be okay for a mid range system OC'd, but with high end components you really need a case that can dish it out fan wise.

You need some bottom fans blowing into the case pushing the hot air out through one big top fan, or a couple small top fans blowing out.

Also some front fans blowing into the case pushing hot air out towards a back case fan blowing out.

Time to think about a new case imo. Just make sure its a Full ATX, and not a Mid ATX.

Make sure it has places for fans the whole way around the case. Front, Bottom, Back, and Top.

Use every spot you can for a fan. Get some quality fans that push a good amount of air.

Cooler Master Storm Stryker is a great example of good airflow.

http://www.amazon.com/CM-Storm-Stry...4&sr=8-1&keywords=cooler+master+storm+stryker

2 front fans, 2 bottom, 1 top, 1 back. BOTTOM FANS ARE VERY IMPORTANT!!!! They blow cool air across your cards (Video,Sound,SSD,etc!) As you know hot air rises, so having bottom fans blowing cool air in from the bottom makes a HUGE difference.

Just look for something similar, you don't HAVE to buy this case, but I LOVE it!

It has filters for all the fans, so dust inside the case is very minimal. Just remember to clean the filters every 2 weeks to a month max.

Highly recommended! :)

Right now my i7 4790K is sitting 38C idle at 4.8ghz. I can take it to 5ghz fine, but I noticed my performance not being affected past 4.8ghz, so no point.

Top GTX 780 at 31C, Bottom at 26C idle. Can't stress enough how important a good case is these days.

Also I will not lie....a good Full ATX will cost you more, but it is well worth it. If you really want to aid a high end system, you have to invest in a good case also.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  6. litwicki22

litwicki22 Guest

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    YES! This is a great choice!

Radiator and fan compatibility compatibility:
    - Top: 3 x 120mm or 2 x 140mm
    - Front: 2 x 140mm or 2 x 120mm (2 x 140mm included)
    - Bottom: 2 x 120mm
    - Rear: 1 x 140mm or 120mm (140mm included)

Make sure you get those bottom fans mounted! Fill up those fan slots as follows.

2 Bottom fans blowing INTO the case
    2 Top fans blowing OUT of the case
    2 front fans blowing INTO the case
    1 back fan blowing OUT of the case

Do that and you will be set for optimum airflow. Also make sure you do good cable management so the cables are not blocking airflow too.

8. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    There is nothing wrong with those temps those are absolute fine, dont worry to much, my gtx 690 on heavy games such as metro last light or crysis 3 wil also reach temps off 84c gpu 1 and 78c gpu2 so no worries, and dont forget its summer after all.

While in borderlands 2 they never reach 74 both gpu,s.

So it all depends on the game.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
  9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Bro those temps are not fine for a single gpu. He has ONE GPU.

You have a 690. Dual GPU. Those temps are good for a dual GPU solution.

His current case only has 3 spots for fans....

It's horrible airflow.

Those temps are bad for a single GPU card....period. Especially on a DCUII cooler. That's a copper direct contact cooler, which means better cooling. But his card is getting way too hot due to bad airflow in his current case.

You can't compare a dual GPU's temps to a single GPU's temps.

Yours are normal, his are not.

I had the same issues he had until I upgraded to my current case with a better fan layout. His card is not in danger at those temps no, but they are not what they should be for a DCUII cooler. Like I said, case airflow is important for today's high end hardware.

My temps dropped over 10C throughout the WHOLE system! I mean CPU, GPUS....Ambient temps....everything.

This is why the newer cases are designed how they are, for higher end hardware to get that optimum airflow going.

10. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    I myself got an half x.

11. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah that's a good case. HAF X is good for airflow if you deck it out with fans.

12. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Hi

I have 2 of these cards in Sli, in a HAF-X case, the side fan duct had to be removed becuase the side p0anel would not close. But the top card never goes over 84 degrees C and the lower card max has been about 75 degrees C. I also have a good overclock on my cards, so on default speeds the temps would be lower.

13. angmar

angmar Guest

I don't own the card you have but im almost 100 percent positive that I read somewhere that due to laziness Directcu II that they put on the 780, 780 ti and r9 290x and 290 is not customized to fully cover the gpu and just a reused cooler that was made for the smaller die cards. die properly so it doesn't cool as well as it should...

14. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Odd that none of the reviews I have read mention this, and when they removed the heatsink it seems to cover the gpu. If you could post any links to this article that would be an interesting read.