Does anyone actually like Quick Time Events?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Nichtswisser, Mar 26, 2013.

?

Do you like Quick Time Events?

1. Yes

15 vote(s)
    14.2%
  2. No

78 vote(s)
    73.6%
  3. Don't care

10 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. What are Quick Time Events?

3 vote(s)
    2.8%
  1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its a game,

at least it lets you do something not just monotone run jump shoot like a mindless zombie:devil:

lol i bought NinjaBlade strictly because of QTE, it can be crappy on keyboard but on controller its quite fun :)

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Yeah it could be worse. All games could be like Metal Gear Solid 4 where you have 5 minutes of gameplay and then a 2 hour cutscene.

3. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    QTEs can look spectacular but the problem is for me that I'm too busy watching out for the button prompts that I miss the action itself which defeats the whole point. Some QTEs are better than others but generally most are poorly done and no substitute for proper gameplay IMO.

4. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    The poll so far pretty much shows what I expected it to show. Majority seems to dislike them while some don't mind them and might even consider them a good thing as long as they are used in moderation and a way that makes sense.

For me personally, I rather do without them, yet as long as they are not done in abundance, I can deal with those damn QTEs by ignoring their existence most of the time. Some games I explicitly didn't buy because of an over abundance of QTEs and I would really wish developers would return to creating real gameplay instead of those lame pseudo-interactive movie sequences.

Yes, that's why I always wish when I encounter QTEs in a game that they would let me play the damn thing instead of hammering on screen prompted buttons like a retarded monkey. You could probably really train an average monkey to do it, it's this retarded. "Yes good monkey, now press the red button! Yeah, good boy! Here's you bandanna!"^^

5. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Ruins Gaming Completely

QTE's are insulting to encounter...period. You buy a game to play it...not watch it. Quick time events make playing games a childish experience with no need whatsoever to develop any skills with the controls.

Far Cry 3 is a perfect example of this BS. The QTE's have been renamed "takedowns". All you do is get within range of an enemy and a "Press F" appears on the screen. Press it and watch the exact same cutscene play for each time you use it. Then there's the "boss" levels (I use the term lightly) where you get to watch a stupid movie that you keep advancing forward by matching key and mouse button prompts (like playing Simon Says).

Personally I think this is a lazy programmer's solution to game development. The result is nothing short of making the customer feel ripped-off. I hope they get the message and stop with this crap completely. I for one will never buy a game that uses them ever again and I will check to see if they exist before buying any game from now on. Everyone should follow this simple approach and maybe the morons will get the message!

6. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    If a great game has some qte so be it for good or bad, a game you enjoy has qte or not, when I was a kid I used to complete dragon lair pissed with my eyes closed dancing to rick asthley fans.

Im not taking the piss but is tetris like quick time.

7. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution anyone?

8. Nichtswisser

Nichtswisser Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 670 DC2 4GB
    In Deux Ex at least those consumed energy and thus were used rather sparingly, at least by me. In FC3 as far as I heard, those can be spammed endlessly and being attacked by an animal also automatically triggers a QTE.

Didn't bought the game, watched a 20 minutes "Let's Play" and lost all interest. A mini map with blinking crap everywhere and constantly being annoyed by QTEs are sure ways to kill any possibility of immersion in a game.

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    QTE's are stupid, they turn a good or decent game into a damn button masher. They also make me quit playing a game if i keep missing the onscreen prompts.

10. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    Voted No.

An utterly, totally, entirely, ridiculously, completely and without qualification, pointless addition to games. This poll certainly shows that most people don't want them (at least the gurus here don't). So why the devs continue to think they're great and lumber us with them is beyond me.

I've got a feeling that one day, they'll look back and say "What the hell were we thinking?".

11. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Sums it up for me.

12. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    Dragon's Lair was not a game with QTE's...it was an arcade game designed to be played as a memory challenge. You were given the sequence of moves either initially or as you went along and had to execute them in exact order. They are nearly the same thing as QTE's but at least you knew that was all the game was when you started it.

In today's games these things are being used to replace control input by the player...effectively making the experience as challenging as a game of "Find your foot"!

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I agree totally and they don't even work properly with a kb/m.

14. resante

resante Member

GPU:
    Evga GTX670
    Hated QTE since Shenmue and they killed RE6.

15. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Does ahh....does ahem....sexual intercourse count.

Sorry, yeah nah, cant stand them personally. waste of time...even though they're quick.

16. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Voted no except for ME3 because in that game pressing/not pressing the button had an outcome.