QAM Box for HDTV?

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Teko, May 3, 2012.

1. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    So yesterday I received my new 50" Toshiba LED-LCD TV (paid $913 shipped)
    http://us.toshiba.com/tv/led/50l5200u (brand new model)

TV is fine so far, but apparently this is so bottom of the barrel that it doesn't even include a built-in QAM tuner so I'm SOL as far as the free unscrambled HD channels go. I can't believe manufacturers are still producing TV's with out it, and if they decide to it would be nice to clearly state it in the specs. So here I am...in search of an external QAM tuner.

With that being said, I do have an HTPC, but would prefer not to get a card or USB device as I don't want to have to have my HTPC on for just watching TV, i built it just for movies --- plus its a refurb I don't want it running nearly 24/7. So I'm looking for a box + remote set that enables me to watch the ClearQAM & standard channels without having to swap between menu's or inputs...advice?

Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Decided to just order HD service from my cable company...so disregard

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    So you learned there is no such thing as Free unscrambled HD channels:)
    execpt OTA...

4. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Nope, what I learned is that my TV actually DOES have a built in QAM tuner. There are free unscambled HD channels guy. Your local channels should be provided in HD and can be picked up through your TV's QAM tuner for free directly through a plain cable line (the xxx.xx or xxx-xx channels). And by free I mean you can get these channels with a base/standard non-HD cable package.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I'm pretty sure they made it mandatory for TV manufactures to include them in all HDTV's a couple years back. They don't like to advertise it though.

The problem with doing that is that the cable provider likes to switch these channels around every so often. I gave up using the QAM tuner and just ordered HD service as well. One week the channels were there and the next they were gone. I had to do a full channel scan every week. Not worth the effort.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Free OTA, yes.......Free from comcast, No...

7. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    QAM & OTA are two different sources. And yes, unscrambled QAM channels are delivered by your cable provider. They are required to provide your local channels in HD at no additional charge & unscrambled.

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You can get them from Comcast. It's against the law for them not to provide them.
    The problem with Comcast is that they rotate the channels every few weeks to piss people off.

9. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    OK here Goes>...All my TVs have 1 coaxial input with a comcast/non HD box connected......Now you tell me...What channel do I put the..>non HD box on...To get the HD channel????

10. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    It differs for location/cable provider and as mentioned above cable providers often rotate the channels. Use this site to find what the channels should be for you http://www.silicondust.com/support/channels/ After entering your zip code and submitting, it'll show the Digital Antenna (OTA) channels by default, click the drop down box at the top to display your cable provider (QAM) channels

11. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Dude...Everyone has Free HDTV OTA.....You said hdtv is Free through All cable providers...Wrong...

12. Teko

Teko Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    Ummmm...I said "local HD channels (meaning the channels you would get OTA)" are. And while the channels do overlap from QAM & OTA, the QAM tuner usually (or here at least - i have Knology) picks up some other random HD channels that OTA doesn't. I'm done trying to explain, I've gotten a headache at this point lol.

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Knology^....Best cable Company Ever....I bought a house in a neighborhood that only has Comcast. and they sux...I had Knology for 7 years and they are Great...And yes...You are right!...They are unscrambled(no box required)...

14. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

Then Stop...........Go To Bed...........We will be Fine..:).