Windows Live Mail problem (Essentials)

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by Extraordinary, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I have 2 step verification enabled on my MSA, also have the Microsoft code generator app for my droid

Works perfectly on everything except Windows Live Mail

When I try to add my account, it asks me to enter my PIN whether I use an app password or my MSA password

[​IMG]

Except nothing generates a PIN, and even if it did, there is nowhere to enter one

If I disable 2 step, it signs in first time with my normal password and works as it should, except it only works as long as I have 2 step disabled, as soon as I enable it again, close and reopen the mail program, it errors out every time it tries to fetch the mail

So I am completely stuck with either having my account secured and not being able to use the mail program, or having my account unsecure and I can use it

Anyone got any ideas about this retarded problem?

I've shot MS an email, but nothing back so far

Disabling the Microsoft droid app from my account does nothing to change any of the above either, the issue seems to lie solely with 2 step

This never happened with 8.1, that would just tell me I had entered the wrong password unless I used an app password

2. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just installed Mozilla Thunderbird, logged in with an App Password with 2 step still enabled, everything works perfectly

So the problem seems to be with Windows Live Mail

Does anything Microsoft make work any more these days?

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It's probably deprecated now. I too use thunderbird but for my ISP's email account and the mail app for my outlook account. iirc even gfwl had issues with two step verification.

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Pretty sad that you can't use your MSA with MS software, but can with someone elses

Don't really like Thunderbird so far, feels just like a cheap browser

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well I have it in 3 pane vertical view with a lot of filters so it's just like outlook (the program) to me :p

6. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    It'll do until I sort out the WLMail issue lol

I`m not a fan of Outlook either, I own Office 2010 but never use Outlook, can't remember exactly what it was that I didn't like now, just remember lasting about a day before going back to WLM :)

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Blech .. outlook is horrible. I tried the 2016 preview and it isn't any better than much older versions. Very cumbersome to use.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea, far too many pointless settings for something that pulls in and creates emails...

I think I had a problem with the frequency it checked for emails too, I like my emails on 'Push' if possible, or at minimum, to check every 1 minute, so if I`m having a conversation with someone, they're not waiting 5 minutes each reply and I`m not waiting the same if I forget to manually check

And I like emails to be marked as 'read' the second I click on them, so if it's just boring rubbish, I can quickly click on each and they become 'read' - iirc with Outlook 2010, it wanted me to stay on each email for either 1 or 5 seconds before it was marked

Not terrible, but when you have 20 emails to go through, it's annoying having to wait on each

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Rather than starting a new thread, anyone know how to import my Outlook.com contacts into Thunderbird?

I followed instructions for exporting CSV and importing, but this is all I get

[​IMG]

Opening the CSV in Excel, I can see all the emails and details, but they don't import properly, there's only about 2-3 names in that whole list, no emails or anything else

10. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Been a while since I did it, but do recall having trouble importing outlook contacts into TB. CSV never seems to arrange contact data in organized form. But importing contacts from gmail worked (gmail also has option to import from outlook). I just added my gmail acct into TB and managed to get contacts on there properly. You may need an addon for it, gContactsync.

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah right nice workaround, thanks, I`ll give that a shot at some point

Really getting miffed with Microsoft atm, seems almost everything I try to do with my MSA has suddenly become buggy

Even Firefox refuses to remember that I've told it not to ask for verification on this PC, and it sends a request to my phone every time I try to log in

Microsoft eventually got back to me about my original WLMail issue, and gave me a link to one of their help sites, with my issue, but when I try to follow the link, it says I'm signed in with the wrong MSA for the issue I created, but I'm not, I'm signed in with the same email address I used to report the issue

12. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Have you ever had the misfortune of needing to speak to Microsoft support via email?

What a bunch of bell-ends

I described in detail my problem with WLMail and it asking for a PIN when 2 step is enabled

They replied saying they understand I have a problem accessing outlook.com and use this link to reset my password

I described again in more detail that the problem is with WLMail client ONLY, not my outlook account

They've just replied saying they now understand that I have a problem accessing my outlook account from a mobile device

WTF? I never even mentioned a mobile device apart from saying that the MS 2 step app doesn't receive a code when WLMail asks for a PIN

Are these jokers for real?

Blatantly not reading anything I'm saying, looking for keywords only and making a total guess, and it takes them about 3 days to reply to each message