High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Someone needs to explain this Bifrost upgrading thing for stupid people, like me.

So there is 2 different upgrades, usb and analog.

If I put Bifrost to my pc with usb cable will I "need" to upgrade only that usb thing or also analog?

I tried to ask straight from Schiit too but...
    From what I understand from those questions and answers from bottom of this message I would need to upgrade both?
    Its still not so clear answer even from them, I ask do I upgrade 1 or both? They answer I need only upgrade usb CARD? What usb card??
    Then next answer is "works with all inputs".

Can someone just explain with some simple english what is the difference with those 2 upgrades.

Q: Im not sure what those upgrades do to Bifrost, yea I read faq but I still dont understand.
    If I use these with PC -> usb cable -> Bifrost -> rca cable -> Asgard -> HD650 will I need both upgrades or just 1?

A: You would only need the USB card.

Q: So is usb upgrade if I use it with usb and analog upgrade if I use something else than usb?

A: The analog upgrade is an updated analog output section and works will all inputs.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The usb upgrade is for if your planning on using the usb input if not then you can simply plug the Xonar D2 into the bifrost uber thru optical. The analog upgrade is what turns the unit into the uber model.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015
  3. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    So am still triple checking, if I dont pick that "usb input upgrade" I cant plug Bifrost straight to pc with usb?

If so then I guess I have to get that pretty expensive double upgrade Bifrost.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You need to buy the usb version for usb connection, you should be able to use the optical on your soundcard or on board audio optical and connect it from there. Save you a $100 usd. Bifrost uber with no usb is my recommondation. I bought the bought the b stock usb uber and it was only $50 than the non usb a stock. $469 vs $419. $100 difference I would opt out of usb.

5. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Yea I was checking about optical.
    I have no clue really about that, never used :D
    Had to even check if my pc have it and it did.

So how does S/PDIF work then, do I have to enable my on board audio from bios for it to work or does it somehow go "straight" to somewhere?

I would really like to take that version then without USB if there is no downsides on it.
    Was checking from google if there was anything about what is better USB or optical but found people saying USB is better and some people say optical was better so dunno.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=104&cp_id=10423&cs_id=1042301&p_id=2671&seq=1&format=2
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10229&cs_id=1022901&p_id=1419&seq=1&format=2
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021814&p_id=5346&seq=1&format=2
    This is all you need to set up the asgard 2, bifrost uber to your sound card s/pdif, though you might want to get a higher quality optical cable to get 192khz to work 100%.
    To connect your onboard sound you would not need the first adapter that I linked.

7. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Well, I don't know if you can get it for that price, but I just got a KORG DS-DAC-100M and It's farking brilliant. Does DSD streaming and 24 bit 192 kHz. It also allows you to unlock their Audiogate software, which is awesome :)

[​IMG]

http://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/ds_dac_100m/

8. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Very nice, RagDoll :)

9. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Not a high end purchase, but a fun one, gonna read up about modding it. Anyway, I'd gotten this Fostec T50RP for a whopping 74USD! The price was simply too good to pass up....:D
    [​IMG]

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Any idea on which mods your gonna do to it? I heard of some mods people have done. But I not the modder type when it comes to headphones. The only mod I did was install a big 230mm Case fan to the outside of my cooler master Storm Enforcer case since it was too big to fit in the inside.

11. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Reading up on it, but I'm not going to mod it right off the bat, gonna see what tools and help that are available locally. I've just gotten about 2.7TB of DSD64 tracks and am quite 'busy' listening to them.....hence, the lazy rut I'm in at the moment.

12. LNCPapa

LNCPapa Master Guru

GPU:
    2xEVGA 1080 Ti FTW3
    Enjoying the music is the most important part of this hobby.

13. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Does anyone know what kind of control does Magni 2 give for sensitive headphones? Sound Blaster Zx is so damn loud that even the line out is just barely usable (with ACM). I'd like to have proper volume control and I'm pretty sure that using the ACM isn't optimal way to do it.

14. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The magni 2 has a gain switch on the rear of the unit to set the headphone out gain. Which is for setting the gain to supply power to different headphones besides the volume knob on the front of the unit. Low gain for high sensitive headphone and high for Low Sensitive headphones and Planars.

15. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Magna 2 also comes in uber too.

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Uber will drive your magni 2 out to you with a bottle of wine, a cigar and some cheese so you can sit back and enjoy music with the cigar in one hand and a glass of wine in the other.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  17. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Would I still have to use ridiculously low volume settings in Windows to avoid massive volume change when I turn the knob 1 deg? I fear that it could make things even worse (even in low gain mode) considering that I can't really use my headphones when hooked directly to the card.

18. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The thing with the sound blaster z hp out is the amp that they used on the card supply volume based on the turn of the volume. With the magni2 you wont have that problem and then at-least in the future when you move away from the HD595's you be set with a headphone amp for more hungry headphones.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    Having a blast with my new set up maybe I'll take a couple pics.

20. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Yep...it is all about the music.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.