High End Audiophile thread

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Jan 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Damn, I guess I luck out, my HD555 had been with me for a good number of years, I see a small dent on it (guess I'd either dropped it or banged it against something sharp) but no sign of cracks whatsoever. Just examined it closely and it's good.......it was my very first audiophile grade (albeit entry level one) can so I'm keeping it for sentimental reasons.

Thanks, and you're right, it's one awesome can. From the brief session I'd had with it, I think it's transparent, has great soundstage, very good vocals, sparkly treble that is not harsh or edgy/peaky, and surprisingly good and natural (for want of a better word) sounding bass. I'm surprised I'd not jumped on a Grado before this, I quite like its signature sound.

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I heard about that happening to HD595's it also happen to their HD600-650 ones too. Its like the only way they can get you to buy new headphones. That the sole thing that stopped me from buying their HD600/650 back when I was eying them. As I wasn't looking forward to headphones falling a part, as i seen plenty of cracked headband HD600/650s on ebay, as well read horror stories about that happening to people.

You may have to use gorilla glue and glue the pieces back together if you can or if you know how, transplant the headphone drivers into another casing or 3D print your own if you know some one with a 3D printer. Try and see if sennheiser will let you RMA the 595's because that's a bad design flaw that shouldn't happen.

3. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It was common in older versions of those cans, the issue has since been fixed with newer revisions. I'd contact Sennheiser support about the 595's, they're usually spot on with getting things like this sorted out. You can even get in touch when out of warranty and they'll service your cans for a fairly small fee.

4. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Since the G Cushions pads on my GS1000i was in a bad state, I went and got a pair of replacement G Cushions. Now, my GS1000i looks and feels great...one thing I'd noted about the GS1000i, the bass is amazing. It goes deep enough and has a natural quality to it. I asked the folks at HeadFi about it and they basically said it boils down the speed, attack and definition of the bass.
    [​IMG]

5. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Are those original Grado G cushions or are those the zonk cushions.

Those look like the original Grado cushions to me.

I agree, they are nice cans...I had a set in my possession a little over a month ago, I had them for three days and I listened to them alot....a real fun headphone, head bobbin and feet tappin.

6. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    Spot on! Good eyes, I went to the local Grado reseller, ordered a pair in the morning, and they had it ready for pick-up in the late afternoon.
    [​IMG]

I'm spoiling my ears with this awesome can, so I'd decided to switch back to my Fidelio X1 for now......when I game and watch movies. For MP3's/DSD64/PCM music appreciation, it's the GS1000i....or, one of these in the pic below......yep, I'm spoilt (funny that speckcheck list 'spoilt' as an error) for choice.....
    [​IMG]

Despite Grado's being reputed for sparkly cans, I find my Audio technica ATH-AD2000 to be even brighter....which lends itself to great detail like the Grado. I do find the HD800, while having a reputed high frequency spike, sounds more refined in the treble department.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I send email regarding this issue. I'm not expecting anything really since these are over four years old but I must say that I would be slightly annoyed if this would split in two (sound wise these are flawless). I also notices that right side has a crack too...

That being said when warranty ends, liability for defects doesn't (or what ever is the correct term for virhevastuu).

HD 598 seems to be pricier now than HD 595's in the same shop where I originally bought them. My mother has HD 598's and I must say that I much prefer HD 595's. They sound very different IMO.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  8. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Soooo, I have returned that Aune T1 because it was faulty and I have been trying to plan what to get now.
    I also think I will change my HD600:s to HD650:s, there was 30day return so I might do it because I think maybe that 650 is better for me after all.

I have been checking all over internet what dac+amp to get now and I dont know.
    Would Schiit modi+asgard be good?
    Or should I go straight for more expencive Bifrost+asgard?
    Is there really any difference in sound between modi and bifrost or is it mostly some more in/outputs?

If those are not good, what I think is not possible but what else should I try to check?
    All I want is not terrible dac and good amp for HD650:s and that have audio out for speakers also.

9. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    If you can afford the asgard2 and bifrost go for it. You would be set for quite a while and the bifost is upgradeable too. Modi 2 uber and Magna 2 uber would be a good upgrade as well. All about what you can afford ie budget.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Go right for the Bifrost uber + asgard 2 and you be set as it is really good setup. Then you can sit back and relax and enjoy.

11. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Yeah I would like to get bifrost, why not!
    BUT it is much more expensive, and is it gonna be that big difference compared to Modi?

Modi+Asgard = 348$

Bifrost+Asgard = 668$

But then again, I read a lot from different places that HD650 scales good with better dac and amp etc so I dont know should I just bite once and spend bit more than I feel comfortable with and hope for the best.
    Really annoying to buy stuff like this when you cant test them.

1 more question: what is difference with bifrost and bifrost uber? I read from their website but it doesnt really tell me anything.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2015
  12. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    A bBifrost and a Valhalla 2 would be awesome......even a modi and valhalls 2

The Senn HD650 loves OTL amps.....it might not be the best all rounder for different cans, but it would be wonderful with the HD650

13. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MERC310 RX 7900 XTX
    The HD650 has been described as being a tad dark (some say it's dark outright), so wouldn't a tube amp make it darker? Granted, I've only heard talk of the HD650 as I've not had the pleasure of owning one myself....working on another blowout can purchase, my biggest yet! Hopefully, I'd end up with a Fostex TH900 AND an LCD-XC, worst case scenario.....one of them.

14. bballfreak6

bballfreak6 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4080
    congrats on your GS1000i mate! that's some sexy looking cans right there

glad you like them too, I still feel all happy and tingly inside when I listen to my MS Pro...

see if you can get your hands on a pair of Alessandro MS Pro-e (tweaked Grado RS1e) would love to hear your comparison between the 2 :p

15. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Sheit... It's either HD 598 spare parts (if they fit) or new headphones. It would cost 77,50€ but I'm not 100% sure if it's for complete head band change or just left side (right side is cracking too).

16. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The Bifrost uber has a upgraded analog board which improve the sound performance of the dac. I didn't own the stock bifrost, I went straight to the uber. I found the uber to be Neutral, transparent with a big sound stage while being able to hear every single instrument separately with ease that's the best way I can describe it.

I went straight to the uber because of people that had upgraded from the stock mentioning that it was a major improvement over the normal bifrost which made it worth it. All i know from the stock bifrost from people with the stock is that it was warm dac

I didn't realize you was in Fin and not the usa til i notice your location just now. I would get the bifrost uber and then decide on the amp that will pair well with your HD 650. But I seen alot of people enjoying their HD 650's with Asgard 2's while using the bifrost uber.

17. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The Fostex TH900 would be the perfect addition to your collection tbh.

Definitely, if you're buying an amp for HD650's from Schiit it should be the Valhalla tbh.

18. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    http://www.hifistudio.fi/fi/tuottee...t/teac-ud-301-d-a-muunnin-musta/4907034218721 (not that I know anything valuable about this, just an example)
    Or if you live close to some audio store, sure there are some d/a amp's to check out. Might even find something cheaper, it doesnt have to be Schiit.

19. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    Yeah its not easy to decide, lots of people say different things.
    But I have seen same in different places, many people have said asgard+bifrost is good with HD650, im just not sure if that upgrade is worth it to add more to already bit expensive dac+amp purchase.

And yeah I would like to go try different amps and dacs and stuff but there is not really any close. Closest is 1,5h drive with car.

20. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea its good to be able to listen to a setup your self but alot of times the gear that mentioned at not found locally. You don't have to get a bifrost uber and a Asgard 2, You can go with the Modni 2 and magni 2 amp if you want something that's more affordable. There also the Audio-GD unit's like the NFB 11 $300ish if you want a neutral sound signature or the NFB15 $239ish if you want a warmest sound signature both of the audio-gd units are all in one dac amp devices which does have a strong amp section to boot. It just the way to go to ordering either one of them may turn you off.

I have owned the Audio-GD NFB 15.32 which is a older model then the NFB15 2014 which did a good job. I just didn't like it sound signature it had which why i moved away from it.

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB112014/NFB112014EN.htm
    http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.