Guru3D.com Forums

Go Back   Guru3D.com Forums > Hardware > Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats
Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats A cracking SoundBlaster ? Got new Speakers ? Be heard in here !

Old
  (#876)
primetime^
Member Guru

Videocard: XFX Radeon HD 7970 3Gb
Processor: Xeon Hexa core @ 4200mhz
Mainboard: Asus P6T Delux v1
Memory: 12gb Patriot ddr3 1600
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Black Widow 850
Default 09-23-2014, 07:19 | posts: 126 | Location: SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkhan View Post
I'm using the same Sound Blaster Z and don't experience any issues whatosever.

I do, however, am looking for a new decent set of cans to make use of the 600 ohm amp on the headphone jack, if its any good that is.

So, what do you guys recommend will sound best with this sound card? Budget around 150$ maximum.
been quite happy with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ......they go on sale for under a 100 bucks from time to time and they also have many new versions to choose form on amazon....and also like you my z card gives me no issues at all 99% of the time.....every few months i might have to reboot from a glitch, but that about it...and all it takes to fix it

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by primetime^; 09-23-2014 at 07:25.

Old
  (#877)
nhlkoho
Ancient Guru

Videocard: EVGA GTX770 4GB FTW
Processor: i7 4770k
Mainboard: Asus Z87 Plus
Memory: Veng. Pro 16GB DDR3-1866
Soundcard: Soundblaster Z
PSU: EVGA 750G2
Default 09-23-2014, 22:27 | posts: 4,926 | Location: Washington DC

How good is this card with surround sound simulation? Thinking about buying a cheap headset to replace my old crusty Creative Fatality headset and don't want to spend a ton of money. The headset will only really be used 1-2 nights a week so I don't need anything fancy.

Old
  (#878)
applejack
Master Guru

Videocard: MSI GTX 780 Gaming OC
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4930K
Mainboard: GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4
Memory: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133mhz cl9
Soundcard: Creative Sound Blaster Z
PSU: Seasonic G-650
Default 09-24-2014, 00:27 | posts: 475 | Location: Israel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agentcalavera View Post
Ive been having this issue the last few weeks and it was fine beforehand.

When it boot/restart/wake my computer i get no sound. it appears to only happen when in stereo direct mode, it doesn't list a device in the audio device selection panel of the control panel. The only way to fix it is to go back to stereo then again to stereo direct, press the SBX Pro Studio button or temporarily enable Scout mode ( the last 2 seems ridiculous because Stereo Direct mode passes all that crap.

does anyone else have this issue/not see a deviced listed in the Z control panel when in direct mode?

Stereo Direct uses a different guid (or "device") in registry than the primary sbz guid which is used for all other modes.
when you switch to Stereo Direct, the primary guid changes its 'devicestate' value from 1 (enabled) to 4 (disabled). this is why you don't see the sound blaster z listed in the audio device selection from sbz control panel.
apparently this is normal behavior, it just uses a secondary (stereo direct) dedicated device. I haven't tried a restart in that mode though.

I don't know if its of any benefit, but you could simply set the 'devicestate' value in registry back to '1' (while in stereo direct mode), and it will be listed again in control panel \ audio device selection.
will this bring back sound ? I very much doubt it as obviously it should have worked regardless of you messing about in registry to select a purposely disabled device.

should you decide to verify yourself, the relevant devicestate value is located in registry under the following key:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{guid}
where guid is a unique bunch of numbers and letters associated with your device. you might have to search for your specific sound blaster z guid as there may be several guids under the "Render" key.

Last edited by applejack; 09-24-2014 at 05:03.

Old
  (#879)
dsbig
Maha Guru

Videocard: evga 780 classified
Processor: 3770k @ 4.3ghz
Mainboard: GA-Z77X-UD3H
Memory: 16gb 1920mhz
Soundcard: Soundblaster ZxR
PSU: Kingwin 850 watts
Default 09-24-2014, 17:50 | posts: 2,732 | Location: florida

no way to decode dolby digital on the input??

all I get is really high pitch sound.

come on it 2014.

Old
  (#880)
Jkhan
Maha Guru

Videocard: Nvidia Geforce GTX 760
Processor: Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.7
Mainboard: ASUS P7P55D
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Soundcard: Audigy 2 ZS Platinum Pro
PSU: Corsair VX550W
Default 09-25-2014, 10:53 | posts: 1,769 | Location: Lahore, Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime^ View Post
been quite happy with my Audio-Technica ATH-M50 ......they go on sale for under a 100 bucks from time to time and they also have many new versions to choose form on amazon....and also like you my z card gives me no issues at all 99% of the time.....every few months i might have to reboot from a glitch, but that about it...and all it takes to fix it

[IMG][/IMG]
I'm looking at the ATH-M50X option, because as I saw it in the MKBHD review, the coiled cable, plus the ability to remove the cable when the headphone is not in use will come in very handy, at least for me. Because its very dusty where I live, and dust is a major issue for me. I am, however, a bit confused by the Ohm impedance, its quite low. What exactly is the point of having a high impedance headphone ? Will it actually improve sound quality? Will I notice something different that other headphones with lower impedance won't?

I've also been checking out the DT770 Pro (again there are 2 options, 80 ohms vs 250 ohms). If anyone would be kind enough to explain the difference b/w the 2, and which one would be the preferred option, I'd be very much obliged.

Thanks.

Old
  (#881)
Agentcalavera

Videocard: BFG 7800GT
Processor: AMD athlon 64 3500+
Mainboard: Asus A8Nsli-deleux
Memory: 1Gig DDR 333
Soundcard: Audigy 2
PSU: Hyper PSU R
Default 09-27-2014, 10:36 | posts: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejack View Post
Stereo Direct uses a different guid (or "device") in registry than the primary sbz guid which is used for all other modes.
when you switch to Stereo Direct, the primary guid changes its 'devicestate' value from 1 (enabled) to 4 (disabled). this is why you don't see the sound blaster z listed in the audio device selection from sbz control panel.
apparently this is normal behavior, it just uses a secondary (stereo direct) dedicated device. I haven't tried a restart in that mode though.

I don't know if its of any benefit, but you could simply set the 'devicestate' value in registry back to '1' (while in stereo direct mode), and it will be listed again in control panel \ audio device selection.
will this bring back sound ? I very much doubt it as obviously it should have worked regardless of you messing about in registry to select a purposely disabled device.

should you decide to verify yourself, the relevant devicestate value is located in registry under the following key:

Code:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\MMDevices\Audio\Render\{guid}
where guid is a unique bunch of numbers and letters associated with your device. you might have to search for your specific sound blaster z guid as there may be several guids under the "Render" key.
Thank you. I did fiddle around with the registry but with no luck. such a peculiar thing, its like i have to remind the control panel that its in stereo direct mode. i play a song, i see volume in the mixer but i hear nothing unless i press the SBX pro Studio button.

Clueless.