Asynchronous Compute

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Carfax, Feb 25, 2016.

1. kevnb

kevnb Guest

GPU:
    Zotac 1070
    yes but there are so many assumptions being made its really just a discussion. I wouldnt be surprised if nvidias dx12 drivers see vast improvements once we have a few more dx12 games.

2. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    the latest nvidia driver improved ashes of the singularity performance by around 6%

async off 48.7fps crazy 1440p
    asyonc on 46.9 fps crazy 1440p

3. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    The improvements have been happening over the last half a year already. These are still no more than moving DX12 performance in GPU limited scenarios closer to what DX11 is showing there. Eventually all the difference in performance between two APIs should disappear as the main reason it's even present is because the DX12 driver isn't as advanced as DX11 one for now.

What were the previous driver results?

Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
    async off 46.3fps
    async on 43.7 fps
    same clocks

5. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Look how much NVidia made gains with DX11 close to its "end of life". There will always be improvements made.

I read somewhere on Beyond3d forums a confirmed report that Ashes detects NVidia hardware, even Pascal with Async off. So until the developer can make a reliable way for everyone to test I'd take everything with a grain of salt out there.

And it doesn't change the fact that "game" is heavily sponsored by AMD.

6. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    I have the same performance with AOST but the game have every day a new update.

7. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
  8. Aelders

Aelders Guest

GPU:
    980Ti G1 @ 1490|8000
  9. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    What gives Nvidia a big performance boost in Total war vs dx11. It seems to be AOTS gimped Nvidia cards?

10. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    If my memory is right, the Dev's said with AOTS they were not going to optimize per graphic platform, which goes against what dx12 strong point is all about.

It is also AMD game, so its to be expected to a degree.

11. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    TW is traditionally CPU limited. DX12 frees up CPU cycles which then can be used by the game.

12. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
  13. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    But AOTS s more cpu limited if i check MSI AB cpu cores usage and gpu usage.

14. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Depends on what is actually being limited by the CPU.

With AotS it seems to be the API/driver in DX11, and this can be seen from how faster NV is in DX11 than AMD. It basically means that NV cards are not CPU limited in AotS in DX11 because NV's DX11 driver is very good at splitting the workload between cores. Hence why NV doesn't get much boost from DX12 there.

With TWW it seems to be that the game itself is limited by CPU while the renderer isn't actually CPU limited in DX11. Thus if you free up the CPU resources used by DX11 renderer with the help of DX12 you're providing more CPU cycles to the game itself and this results in game increasing performance in DX12 even on NV cards.

Basically if you're API limited in DX11 then chances are that NV isn't actually API limited while AMD is. If you remove this limit by going DX12 AMD will get a speed boost but on NV the CPU will just go more idle with no benefit at all.

If your application is limited by the CPU then going from DX11 to DX12 will free up CPU cycles on all vendors and the application will be able to use them to go above the previous limit. Thus all h/w will get a performance boost.

That's my theory at least on why TWW is showing perf gains in DX12 on NV h/w as well as on AMD's.

15. Keesberenburg

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    But why is de performance in AOTS worse with dx12 and the CPU limeted is bigger. AMD gimpworks?

16. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Is it still worse? I haven't seen any recent benchmarks comparing the DX versions.

17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
  18. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
  19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti