no 3 or 4 way SLI for 1080

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by nateluthje, May 15, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Very f***ed. Was hoping to get 3 x 1080's. Wanted to game at 4K 60fps.

Current system: xeon x5690 @4.4ghz, 24Gb ddr3 1600mhz corsair ram.

My question is: Since I can only run 2 of these cards, can I game at 4K (ultra settings) or am I better to wait until the 1080Ti comes out. By the way I'm getting a ASUS 34" ROG g-sync 100hz monitor. This should make a difference if my frame rate drops to say 40-45? NOT really looking forward to waiting ANOTHER 10 months if this is the case!

Thanks for your comments.

Nate

2. lexer98

lexer98 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 - WC
    Multi-GPU in DX12 is a bit uncertain, SFR in papers is much better because doesn't suffer from latency problems like AFR on DX11, but right now the only DX12 game that support it is Ashes of Singurality and only for two gpus.
    A SLI of 980Ti can handle 4K@60 in a lot of games ! So a pair of 1080 will have no problem .... IF the game have good multi-gpu scaling

3. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    zok, that settles it then. Will get 2 x 1080, not waiting another 9-10 months for 1080ti. Since my monitor has g-sync, should play well at 45-50 fps anyhow.

thanks for your comments

Nate

4. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    No oracles here at Guru3d forums. We all have to wait for official benchmarks (and 3rd party designed cards and coolers), to see what the new 1080 will be cable of (and compare it to other cards like 980ti).

5. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I was going to wait until ASUS brought out their cards. Higher clock speeds and better cooler. Not looking to get reference cards

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    heard that 1080 is 30% faster than titan X. 2 x sli should be enough to game at 4K 50-60fps

7. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I honestly don't think there is a need for 3-4 way SLI on the 1080's.

What benchmark bragging rights? Even then people don't care as much about those these days. I think having a 2-way standard is just fine for gamers.

I mean..they could possibly change that later unless its a hardware limitation. I don't see the need to have 400 fps at 4K.

That's just absurd, and won't help anybody even in online fps. All that tearing..yuck.

8. Xuanzang

Xuanzang Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 7900 XTX
    I think 2x 1080 SLI will handle 4K gaming with no problem. 60++ fps

9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    If my two GTX 980's in SLI OC'd can handle Gsync @144hz, I'm more than certain you are right.

Just think, there is possibly a GTX 1080 Ti and a new TITAN on the way if they name it that again.

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

11. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    "Older SLi bridges can be fitted"=/= "More than 2-way SLi will work".

I don't believe it could be a hardware problem, more that NVIDIA won't be focusing on more than 2-card profile optimization from this point on, which makes sense. MultiGPU configurations are a fraction of a fraction, more than two GPU configurations are a fraction of that.

12. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah and also there are only a handful of users who run 3 and 4 way SLI any way on a daily basis. Also the only time that I see users run 3 and 4 way SLI is for benchkmarking purposes. And Nvida sees this. Also I think Nvidia should have stated that with the HB bridge only 2 way SLI is supported but if you wanted to run 3 and 4 cards then you will have to use the older style bridge.

14. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Thanks Fender178, from what I've been reading in my post, 2 x 1080 will be enough to game @4K 60+ fps. This is all i wanted anyway, not interested in topping the benchmark charts. (although it will be interesting to see what 2 x 1080 SLI gets in 3dMark)

15. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    No problem glad my input was helpful to you.

16. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    Yup 2 card should do just fine... not to mention the added bandwidth with the HB SLI bridge. I'm interested to see if the new SLI bridge offers any benefits really. Granted we've been using the same SLI bridges for years now... it wouldn't surprise me if that old bridge has been bandwidth saturated now for the 1-2 generations of cards causing some of the stuttering and micro-stuttering issues.

I'm hoping sites will test with the old bridge and the new one to see if it makes any noticeable difference!

17. Dazz

Dazz Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS STRIX RTX 2080
    I think 3-4 ways SLI is like 0.2% of the market so can't see them bothering more so since at times performance typically drops and the performance increase is pretty pathetic in most cases. A complete waste of money really.