New Gskill 10 driver gaming headphones.

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by goat1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Bat signal to Eslik.. You know your gonna try them.. :)

2. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
  3. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I more than likely WILL try this set. Sooner or later, someone has to build the ultimate true surround headphones, and maybe this set will end my never ending pursuit of the perfect multi speaker surround sound gaming headset. Psyko audio is still the ONLY company that almost had it done right. Too bad Psyko is no longer doing anything with the unique design they have patented. goat1 has me pegged alright. I have this "compulsion" that makes me want to try EVERY new 5.1 and 7.1 headset designed for gaming.

4. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Its all good dogg.. Nothing wrong with it. I love all the guys that say its a gimmick. Its a freaking gaming headset man! Game sound is much different than listening to flack! I love my Roccat Kave 5.1's with the vibration unit. I use them more than my DT 770's.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Sure thing.

I'd rather not have the audio I listen to sound bad, the only thing multi-driver headsets offer is arguable locational surround. It still sounds bad, literally everything else still sounds bad. The background music, the sound effects, the voice acting.

The DT770 are a good set of headphones for sure, but when they're your only comparison of good headphones Vs the multitude of gaming cans you've used, your opinion is formed on severely limited information. The vast majority of people call it a gimmick because that is what it is, you obtain bad sound quality in favour of questionable positional audio. Virtual surround on a suitable set of stereo headphones offers just as good with the added benefit of not sounding terrible.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I agree as I used to be like goat1 and used dozen of gaming headphones and 5.1 multi-driver headsets back in the day. Til I got tired of their poor audio quality and other issues which caused me to move to my first real headphones the AD700.

7. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I don't know why there are negatives with multi speaker surround audio quality. With a decent sound card, and tweaking the equalizer and other software settings, there's absolutely nothing wrong with them. Backround music and other sound effects sound great in my games as well as the added benefit of positional location and awareness with multi speaker surround. I've probably owned more multi speaker headphones than most members here. Some were better than others, but pretty much all of them were great for gaming. My all time favorites are Psyko Carbon 5.1 analog, Roccat Kave 5.1 analog and the Razer Tiamat 7.1 analog sets. Gaming, being the operative word. By the way, the worst set I own is the Asus Strix 7.1. Tried them for about one hour, then put them back in the box and under my desk. Just sayin...

8. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    I seem to remember you stating the Psyko Carbons sounded bad. I've used the Kave's in the past, no amount of tweaking can fix that level of bad. Bad sound is bad sound, tweaking cannot overcome physical limitations.

I've used multiple other physical surround headphones, they were all poor. I've also used a wide range stereo headphones, from the lower end to the higher end. Which stereo headphones have you had access to?

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    But the problem is you haven't had experience with a good pair of headphones with a sound blaster z's SBX surround setup correctly, or CMSS3D headphone. SBX surround work very well with the sound positional and imaging. I mainly used it for above and below sounds.

I have used plenty of 5.1 gaming headset's as well Gaming marketed headsets and from my experience non of those was good or perfect. At the time I didn't know and thought this sounded good. I didn't realize what I was missing til I got a pair of AD700s after jumping from 5.1 set to another do to them sounding bad. It's why now a days based on my own experience I won't go near 5.1 headset's, I also wont suggest them to friends or people because i know they can get more for their money, without having those flaws. They're isn't any thing more they can do with them any way, because of the way they are designed. The fact that your jumping from one to another shows that they not perfect.

In the future I suggest you at-least give a good pair of headphones a tray like the A900X and a used sound blaster Z and use SBX surround config correctly in games and windows audio set to 5.1 with the Z panel to headphones. This also applies to you too goat1 or at-least use C-media driver's so you have access to Dolby headphone and try it with DH1 or 2 modes with your DT770 pro's.

I still recall having very good results with the AKG K702 I had and a Asus Xonar STX's with Dolby headphone mode 1/2 in L4D2 as it worked that well while still sounding good at the same time. It was very immerse alot more then any 5.1 headsets that I ever had, it was config correctly like I mentioned such as setting windows audio to 5.1 as well the game if they have that setting and then the asus input to 5.1 with the output set to headphones and of course with DH on to either of those modes i don't recall which mode i used, just that it worked very well.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  10. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    The issue I had with Psyko, was the first model released. It had a flimsy and poorly designed headband and that's where the speakers are located. That flimsy design resulted in major sound leakage that my wife could hear while I was gaming, from another room. The Carbon model released fixed that problem. I use my PC mainly for gaming and I haven't used very many srereo headphones. I had the Sennheiser PC 350's and the PC 360's which I have old. I still have a set of Beyerdynamic MMX 300 that I use every now and then for music and movies. They're very good headphones, but they just don't deliver a true and immersive surround in games. In my humble opinion.

11. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Its a to each his own. I game with my DT770's and use SBX with my sound blaster. They sound good. I also like using my Kave's.. They do not sound terrible. In games,they sound pretty good. I like the vibration unit also. If ESlik likes his Carbon's.. Who are we to say they suck? Honestly,there are times I don't like the DT770's for games. The bass doesn't sound like deep bass. It almost sound like the bass is smeared. Or maybe its too accurate,who knows,but I don't like it. I normally just use my Z5500 5.1 speakers anyhow.

12. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Fair enough, I was sure I remembered you having a complaint about them. Guess that was it. The stereo headphones you've mentioned are a mixed bag, I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser but their mid/low end headsets aren't always the best. Beyer MMX300's are solid enough, but again very expensive for what amounts to a set of DT770's with a mic attached.

I'm someone that's used an extensive range of equipment, including the headphones I'm saying suck. The Kave's sound awful to my ears, just like they do to the vast majority of people I know.

PS: If the bass on your DT770's sounds worse than your Kave's, there's either something wrong with your equipment or you just prefer overinflated low quality bass. You're also proving my point in regard to your experience with stereo equipment.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Sounds like the sound blaster Z isn't doing the DT770 pro-80's if that model you have any justice as i seen it mention commonly to have either too much bass for some people or not enough, I haven't seen people mentioning it being smeared but those same people run it thru a external amp and not the sound card's amp. Only time i see people mentioning that the DT770 pro bass being messy is when they running it directly from a sound card that doesn't have a good amp design.

I use my HE-500 my self when I am gaming, with my external gear which I use with a sound blaster Z thru optical and SBX surround. The HE-500 it self sound really wonderful with games when I use them very life like,The bass sound great as well.

I do have speakers as well but I only use them when i am alone in the apt as I don't want people thinking I using a machine gun in my apt from gaming on the JBL 305's since it fills the room with sound and the way it performs.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  14. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I may have complained about the quality of the speakers in the original model. That too, was corrected with the Carbon release. Even though the original Psyko had a crap headband and so so drivers, the ability to pinpoint where sounds were coming from was awesome. No other surround headphones do it as well as Psyko. I sure wish I knew what the hell happened to them.