What do you want to see from the next Nvidia dual GPU?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Pete J, Mar 26, 2015.

?

What do you want to see from the next Nvidia dual GPU?

1. Energy efficient two slot air cooled design based on two 980s

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. Two full fat Titan Xs with a triple slot air cooler

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Two full fat Titan Xs with a two slot aio cooler

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    Hi peeps,

I know, I know - Titan X has just been released so it's perhaps a bit early to start talking about the Titan Z2 / GTX 990* but hell, we're enthusiasts, right?!

For me, I'd like to see two 980s put on one card with a minimum of 4GB per GPU in a dual slot, air cooled solution. My thinking behind this is that it would make a nice addition to my HTPC whilst being able to work within the confines of the 700W PSU I have in it.

I can also see two potential alternatives: the first being like the original Titan Z and putting on two full fat Titan X chips with an air cooled three slot cooler; the second being an AIO two slot model.

Anyway, vote in the poll and/or let us know your thoughts!

*My own made up names.

2. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    Pascal

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I don't post a vote as I think we won't get any of those. Probably two 970s on a card.

The most applicable would probably be a AIO two 980 sollution, as two Titan X chips would sound like a jet engine, never mind two or three slot design.

I'm not even sure a reasonably sized PCB could get two Titan Xs on there, all the space you need for the RAM, more power phases, and that big chip might probably make the PCB 35cm long :D

4. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    The most sensible and most popular would be an 8 GB dual 980 board. They would sell bucketloads.

Unfortunately I can't see it happening. Nvidia aren't interested in what customers want, only to push their new Titan is top pricing structure on the world.

5. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    If you think about some 2x 980+ dual card then you can add one more option to the poll:

- hope there will be some solution other then selling my body (parts) to get one

;)

edit:
    option one: Energy efficient two slot air cooled design based on two 980s... meh

Who cares about energy efficiency if you have enough money to buy such card... And not a single entusiast with enough healthy brain cells would use that monster with stock air cooler: WB (EK probably) all the way...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
  6. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    affordable price which meaning lower down the value since they like to cheat about the exact specification to end users.

7. Pete J

Pete J Master Guru

GPU:
    Some of those as well
    From what we've seen in the past, I would expect two 980s but operating at 970 speeds. In regards to the cooler, the Titan Z is supposed to be quite good, so I wouldn't dismiss it so readily. I agree with you on the size of the card if two Titan cores are put on though - massive!
    Energy efficiency would mean that a smaller PSU could be used and therefore it could fit into a mini-ITX case. And as I already mentioned, the Titan Z cooler (or 690 cooler for that matter) do a good job (also there's no room in my HTPC chassis for water cooling!).

8. Megabiv

Megabiv Guest

GPU:
    GTX980Ti SLI (h²o)
    NVIDIA bringing a reasonable price to top tier cards again. My 7950GX2 cost about the same price as a sing 980 does now. Its simply ludicrous pricing that in turn is making me hold onto my purchases far longer than I used to.

Most likely though it'd be a dual 980 with slightly lower clocks so its faster than a single 980 but slower than 980 sli. 6gb on each chip would allow them to sell it as a 12gb card :p

9. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I agree with you, the Titan coolers have been quite good on the cards we've seen. But it needs a full size dual slot design to cool one Titan... it would need at least a massive sized tripple slot cooler to take care of two of those chips, or am I wrong in that assumption? With the dual 980 I guess there is an option, but it would be limited in overclocking with it's thermal target unless put under water, I guess. And we love to overclock our stuff :)