Learn which one first, C# or Java?

Discussion in 'Programming/Html' started by The_Fool, Feb 17, 2012.

1. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    2xGIGABYTE Windforce 7950
    I'd like to start learning a more complicated programming language. I used QuickBASIC long ago and in the early 2000s I wrote a lot of programs for the TI-89 using their version of BASIC. During that time I also tried Visual Basic very briefly. I managed to create a simple program to send text messages to another host. Now, I know how to write simple scripts with Perl including regular expressions. I also read about classes, methods, references.

Eventually I'd like to create my own program that is capable of drawing fractals. It would also be cool to create my own screensavers. I may also try to get a programming degree down the road. I'd like to get started on a high level programming language and two possibilities are C# and Java. Which should I start on first? They both appear to be similar, yet different.

2. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    Java, if you want to use the skills for web development

C#, if you want to use the skills for GUI [bitmap graphics] [mostly windows] application development

C++, if you want to use the skills for 2D[3D ortho]/3D graphics development

C, if you want to use the skills for embedded [actual embedded, not 'apps'] development

All can do everything, and there are crossovers.
    But some are just more suited or more popular or more commonplace in certain environments.

-scheherazade

3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    C# all the way. Microsoft Visual Studio just is that much better than developer tools for Java.

4. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Well, I decided to start out with C#. I downloaded C# Express and some tutorials.

5. Xendance

Xendance Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 570
    Why not both?

6. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    It's my first time learning something like this language. I'm not in a rush.

7. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Hence, the really big multicorporations still prefer Java Enterprise? I'll take Eclipse over Visual Studio any day of the week.

8. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Hmm, it seems that Visual Studio C# Express isn't free like they say it is. Well, I guess it didn't cost money to download and install, but it becomes unusable after 30 days. How does Mono compare to this, which is open source?

9. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    MSV is not really cheap, perhaps they use Java because they do not only develop desktop applications.

Why you like Eclipse ? Have you used MVS and seen how good the debugger is in MVS ?

Eclipse, might not be the Eclipse which sucks, prolly the Android SDK. Only used Eclipse for that, not a pleasure to work with those.

What ? Are you sure that you downloaded express and are not wanting to try some trial ? I think that the Express was a free version. Mono, meh, not even close as good as MVS.

10. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Here is the About dialog. It shows what I downloaded and that it has 28 days left on it. I read some of the license agreement before installing and it also said there it's just a 30-day trial. After that, it won't work until I get a working product key. Sure, it's free, but for 30 days.
    [​IMG]

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Check that out. I really have the image stuck in my mind saying that it's free and doesnt have time limit...

12. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    I've used Eclipse to develop and maintain EJB solutions based on the JBOSS application server. The big corporations don't want their future to depend on Microsoft so for their main architecture they choose open source instead. Sun Microsystems (acquired by Oracle a few years ago) and IBM WebSphere are two giant pieces of the puzzle.

13. Zhyr

Zhyr Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SLI
    I've just finished my 2nd week of a diploma of software development.
    We're learning C#, objective C, and Java.
    My understanding is that since they're all C based languages, you should be able to pick up the others fairly easily.

14. TruMutton_200Hz

TruMutton_200Hz Guest

GPU:
    Iris Xe
    Java is not even a programming language. The term Java refers to a plethora of interrelated technologies and standards, otherwise known as Java Technology, whereas the Java Language is only a minuscule part of it. So minuscule in fact, the average Java developer typically writes more XML than actual Java code. Especially nowadays, because you can let NetBeans generate alot of the code for you. The code itself is so robust it just gets reused much more often than it gets rewritten. It boils down to adding only a few lines here and there and basically that's all there is to it. The rest of the workflow is mostly a mixture of various configuration tasks.

15. Janq

Janq New Member

You just have to register (which is 100% free) - after that its free forever.

Go to Help/Register Product, click on "Obtain registration key online" (you'll need a LiveID account), and follow the instructions. iirc you have to fill out a little survey to tell them how you'll be using it.

16. Zhyr

Zhyr Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX770 SLI
    TruMutton - Can't really disagree with you there.

17. Leafblower

Leafblower Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 760 SLI
    I found C# to be the easiest language to learn of any, so I so go with C#. From what I understand it is similar to Java so if you learn Java after C# it shouldn't be too hard.

18. The_Fool

The_Fool Maha Guru

GPU:
    Yep, I found it.

Yea, C# is much easier to learn than I thought it would be. I'm watching a bunch of video tutorials. It appears to be more strict about some things than Perl is, though.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2012
  19. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    C# is a fun language, plain and simple. MSFT really put some thought into it when they designed it. And it has a surprising amount of low-level capability too, if you know how to use it.

Also, there is very little reason to need to learn both C# and Java. Aside from the syntax, the languages are basically the same in capability. And since both stole the (horrid at times) C style syntax, moving from one to the other does not take a significant amount of times.

That being said, I prefer C#. Less headaches when you don't need to deal with all the JVM nonsense...

20. proliferazor

proliferazor Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 7950
    Yo I'm a little late to the party with this but here goes anyway.

3dbuzz.com is doing live classes now, they just started c# 101 class, its an introductory class to c# done over the internet live, you can ask questions and get answers immediately. Its a six week course. You only have to pay 35$ a month for member sponsorship and you get in all the courses, and access to lots of pre recorded classes. So over the 6 weeks you pay <53$ a course. That's an amazing deal. They assign homework and grade that homework as well. Another cool thing is that they record the classes so if you miss a class or have to leave early you can watch it (via stream) on your own time. At the end of the course you get a certificate of completion, if you did your homework!

They are also going to do c++ and blender introduction courses soon. And will move into more advanced classes afterwards, in the direction of 3D games and graphics programming.

I have attended the first c# class ( and several freebie ones before that ) it was really good though I am above a beginner so it was super easy to me.

Their main page is 3dbuzz.com
    But the info about the classes is on the forums 3dbuzz.com forums

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012