Performance Counter monitoring plugin

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by stangowner, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    2xMSI N550GTX-Ti Cy II OC
    Hi Guys,

I just posted the NVPerfCount64 plug-in. You can download it from the link in the first post.

First of all, I want to thank Jeff over at the Nvidia API team. He was an absolute pleasure to work with, *SPAM* as far back as the PDH limitations of PerfKit months ago. But more importantly, taking the time to allow me to leverage the same technology that PerfHUD is using in the 32 on 64 version of PerfKit, which is not currently part of the public SDK. This prevented me from needing to write my own IPC, which I'm sure would be difficult given the fact I am a C++ guru :D. This was a fun project though, and I have learned a lot.

Secondly, the API to get the counter description is not available in the 32-on-64 version yet (as of 6.62). So NVPerfCount64CLI will not list it, nor will it be available in the RivaTuner data source as it is in the 32 bit version. I'll add this if/when it becomes available in the mixed mode version of PerfKit.

Lastly, sorry for the delay (yes I'm talking to you Burebista :)). It has been months since the 32 bit version was available. I'm glad we finally made it though.

Let me know how you guys make out. I have only tested in on 7x64. I have Vista and XP avail, but have not tested it yet.

Please make sure you run NVPerfCount64CLI first to get the counter numbers so you can edit the NVPerfCount64.cfg file. There are examples there, but they are from my system with a GTX280 and will more than likely not match yours.

If you have any questions or problems, read some of the previous posts.......or reply here.

Thanks,
    Nick

2. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I just found a memory leak in this plug-in this morning. If you're already running it, let me know if you are seeing the same thing, increasing usage for RivaTuner.exe and PerfAPICOMServer.exe. Otherwise, you may want to hold off for a few until I track it down.

This does not seem to be a problem in NVPerfCount64CLI.exe, just the NVPerfCount64.dll plug-in for RivaTuner.

3. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Sorry about that......simple oversight on my part.

0.9.3 is available now and resolves the memory issue. Feel free to test it out now and let me know if you have any issues.

4. tswalker

tswalker Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTS
    been awhile since i've visited... just to let you know, i've still been using your plugin for RT and working like a charm :)

i have however started looking to move to using Rainmeter... much customizable for UX design, etc.. i will be attempting to use your plugin dll with it over the next few days or so and will let you know what i am able to do.

5. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Hi,

How exactly do you plan on exposing this data to Rainmeter? These dlls will not work directly with Rainmeter. I did not develop a RivaTuner plugin for Rainmeter as there seemed to already be one available (although I never tried it). I did make one for Afterburner, but Afterburner still does not support plugins so you can't use PerfCount or NVPerfCount with it.

Let me know which route you're choosing and how you make out.

- Nick

6. tswalker

tswalker Member

GPU:
    XFX 8600 GTS
    I'm not a programmer and didn't realize the DLL's would have to be recompiled for Rainmeter's use... bummer, i guess the whole 'dynamic' thing is uh, not so. :)

anyway, thanks for pointing out the existing plugin.

7. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    I don't use Rainmeter, but it may come with something stock that will do performance counters. I'd check into that first if you want.

8. Tommy

Tommy Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTS 250 1024MB
    Hi, can you tell me the name of the gadgets in your screenshot (post #90), and where I can find them? Thank You!

9. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    Hi,

I was using this gadget and RivaTuner running several plug-ins.
    http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/rivatuner-gpu-monitor-sidebar-gadget-2-3.html
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=292598

But as RivaTuner is no longer developed, current options include

1) using this gadget with MSI Afterburner
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=317912

and/or

2) using this gadget with HWiNFO
    http://www.hwinfo.com/forum/Thread-HWiNFOMonitor-2-0

Its all basically the same gadget, just different input sources.

Hope that help,
    Nick

10. Tommy

Tommy Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTS 250 1024MB
    Thank you!!
    I used Rivatuner years ago, now I'm a MSI Afterburner user. I will check your links. ;)

EDIT: what about the CPU monitor and Motherboard monitor?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015

11. stangowner

stangowner Guest

GPU:
    See the second option I mentioned.

12. quadrotony

quadrotony Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660
    any workaround?

i use SweetFX 1.5 in Elder Scrolls Online, and Rivatuner statistic server+AIDA64 to see the overlay

everytime i try turn off RivaTuner game crashed...

13. quadrotony

quadrotony Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX660
    /dead forum

14. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

It is very "smart" to jump into unrelated thread with your issues then surprise that your post is ignored. Learn to use search.