Oculus Rift graphics quality, any concerns?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by MikeG, May 11, 2015.

1. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    I'm hoping the Oculus Rift release in the months ahead will give gamers close to the IQ of some of the high end games we're playing now. So I started reading comments made by the lucky few who have used the 3rd iteration or phase of the Rift in development. And I was taken aback by this comment about being able to see a pixel grid. WTH? Why would any of us put up with having to see a faint pixel grid in our games? Anyway here is the quote and the link for the article it came from.

Source

http://www.wareable.com/oculus-rift/oculus-rift-review

I can understand in the last part of the quote that he's trying to smooth over existence of the viewable pixel grid. But what of the fate of this pixel grid? Has anyone heard if it will ship out with the headset or what's going on with it? Btw the resolution he's referring to I believe is 960 x 1080 in each eye which sounds good but still that pixel grid thing doesn't sound so good.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've given up on the Oculus. I was really excited for it but they are taking too long with it. If Valve and HTC never announced their VR headset the Oculus would probably still not have a release date.

My money is on the Valve headset. It's going to be more expensive but I feel that will be the one to beat.

3. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    the grid is the unlit space between the pixels, if youre immersed you dont really notice, but it will be there and even Cresent Bay has it, to a lesser extent than DK2 as CB is 2x1080p screens as is Hive.

For me the improvements over my DK2 that i would like to see and in order of priority:
    1. Higher resolution
    2. Higher refresh so that with low persistence mode becomes brighter
    3. Less/No screen door affect( the grid you mention )

Im currently more interested in Valves solition, but lets see.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Oculus has quite more resources on project than Valve, but Valve managed to have bit higher resolution, did more experiments and reached superior tracking with more freedom of movement.

Oculus may get later advantage with wireless communication, that would be big win.
    But Valve can do same too.

Btw. 960x1080 per eye is not so good once you have viewing angle 110 degrees.

It is worse than LG 1080p passive 3D TV which many dislike for lower resolution, but now that lower resolution covers considerably larger area of your vision.

You can imagine that Valve's Vive with 1080x1200 per eye be quite better here (25% more pixels per eye).

Both have limited refresh rate close to 90Hz for now.
    But what will matter is use of technology like G/Freesync.

5. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    The pixel density on these head mounted displays is unfortunately very low when stretched across your entire field of view and will be until they hit around 8K resolution, which is many years off. They can fix the screen door effect to some extent but they won't reach the kind of pixel density that you get on a monitor for a long time yet. It can however be improved with better optics and AA modes.

As mentioned though, it really doesn't matter when the over all experience is immersive enough. You soon forget about the lower pixel count. Even DK2 is very useable in a few games.

6. ScoobyDooby

ScoobyDooby Guest

GPU:
    1080Ti & Acer X34
    I disagree with you here.

We have been playing around with the DK2 at my office, and I can't get over the low pixel density. it literally makes Elite Dangerous unplayable.

Sure its immersive still, since it takes your entire peripheral vision, but it still sucks bad.

I was seriously disappointed with it.. would never buy one for my personal use until ppi gets wayyyyy better.

7. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    problem is driving it, if it had a 4k screen theres no way you would be able to get 90FPS unless you used awful qualty which is junk for VR. Until SLI/Crossfire updates are released to render per eye and we get DX12 so its not bottlenecked then there only real option for a consumer version is a 1k per eye resolution.
    I agree with what you disagreed with, if you get immersed in the game you forget completely about the pixel density, youll be reminded of it now and then but the immersion beats it out.
    On Elite dangerous, with a DK2 youre better off using a green cockpit to get full 1080p resolution and same with the text ingame simply due to the fact that the DK2 is pentile and has twice as many pixels in green as it does for red/blue.

8. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    DK2 resolution is awful, no arguments there. I can still enjoy it though, especially in driving games where it's not so important.

I think if the Rift does have a 1440p screen, combined with whatever trickery they've used to fix the screen door effect, that'll strike an acceptable balance between pixel density and required GPU power.

It still won't be anywhere near a monitor but it'll be good enough for now.

9. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    I see Oculus as an evolving product, I think all these problems will be addressed as the technology becomes available, it's still early days, I think it's a mistake to think you can buy one headset and you're covered for life, the rift is like any other technology, you don't buy a GPU and then expect it to run the latest and greatest games forever, I still have my DK1, that's more down to the collector in me but I still get that immersive feeling in certain games despite the ridiculously low res.

Ultimately the Rift is gonna have it's shortcomings but they have the resources to keep pushing forward and over time I think we're gonna see some amazing stuff.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    its like phone tech, it will start off relatively crap( by PC gaming standards and excluding the 'Wow im in the game" factor )

Its not going to be the holodeck, it has restrictions that need more and more people to buy into it, i.e. mobile manufacturers wont develop VR screens until theres a market so its a catch 22.

It is mega to use, the screen door is neglible when youre immersed.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    My big concern between the different VR's is the compatibility, which one will have the most compatible games? I haven't even heard what games will be compatible with Valve's Vive but OR already has several already.
    Unless all VR games will be guaranteed compatibility with any of them, I'm going to wait it out for a while. Resolution or anything else doesn't do me any good if an epic game I really want to play in VR isn't compatible with the one I chose.
    I just wish Fallout 4 was VR capable.

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    sony already has a 4k phone display, its a matter of time before they get rid of the screen door effect for good

13. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    1080x1200 per eye is the resolution of the coming Oculus Rift consumer version (CV1). That is well known now. The reason that the "screen door effect" (SDE) is AND will be an issue until 8K panels are viable is becsuse of the optics involved. It's like taking a magnifine glass up to your smart phone OR standing about 6 inches away ftom a 70" 1080p television. The way this generation of VR devices produce an image that pretty much fills your entire view is by magnifying the image from a 5" screen and blows it up to something that fills your vision. Think about it.... I have a 4K 70" Vizio P Series and even then from about 2 feet away you can see the SDE. I mentioned 8K earlier but the reality is that even a screen like that (8K = 32 million pixels!!!) the SDE may still be viewable. Regardless nyone expecting "photo-realism" from ANY of the 1st generation VR headsets is fooling themselves. VR is so amazing because it puts you into the game more then ever before. For instance... Playing Project Cars on my 4K Vizio looks far better then playing it on my DK2. However playing it on my DK2 makes me feel like I'm actually in the goddamn car! It's amazing! But... but, I will say that the resolution of the DK2 still has a ways to go before I would prefer it to my 4K set. Time will give of these advances, we just need to allow for the technology to evolve and these geniuses that produce these wonderful gadgets to do their thing.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  14. ThunderForce

ThunderForce Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 / 4 MB
    I would have liked the recommended spec be GTX 980 rather than 970. It's not as if the 980 is truly a highend card anyway, with 980 Ti and Titan X fitting that category.

15. JasmineJas

JasmineJas Guest

GPU:
    64-bit
    I see no reason for not being able connect Morpheus to PC. It is a USB and HDMI cables. Some tweaking with software and drivers, and morpheus will run as nice on my ps4 as on my pc.

16. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti
    I sold my Oculus Rift (CV1), the resolution is just too low i couldnt get used to it. Everything was too blurry wich brakes immersion completely for me.
    But like alot of people said, the controllers are so perfect! they aren't kidding, it's incredible in the hands and feels just perfect.

The price of the Vive Pro is just ridiculous, the WMR has the same resolution but has worse tracking but much cheaper.

I might check out WMR later and see if the tracking is indeed bad/unplayable. Perhaps i can get used to it.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^^I just did that, a year of the rift was enough, those god rays were just killing the whole thing for me at this point, so i picked up a Dell Visor from ebay for 160 Quid and i just love it, yes it has pro's and cons compared to the rift, but damn does no god rays and a high res look just awesome, yes the motion controller are not as good as the rift controllers but they do the job nicely, and yes the fov is less thsn the rift, but not enough that it annoys you.

And i have also noted that vr games run a hell of a lot better fps wise, euro truck sim 2 with the oculus was a pain at times, i had to use the rift tool to lock the fps to 45 and disable aws, but no more, the game runs fantastic on this headset straight from steam, and that tells me that i was right when i blamed the rift software for making my steam vr games run like sh#t.

18. Drake1234

Drake1234 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760 / 2GB
    Oculus Rift is an excellent helmet of virtual reality. But its price is very high. Oculus and HTC Vive don't have much difference in their parameters. Their characteristics and requirements for gaming are almost the same. A requirement is one - a gaming computer must be very powerful. Therefore, if you want to get a quality virtual world, you will have to pay a significant money. Personally, I prefer to play games in special virtual reality centers. For example, the club of virtual reality in Melbourne - https://virivr.com.au/. In such clubs, there are high-quality helmets of virtual reality and additional equipment.

19. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Ok Zuckerberg, we know it's you, the games up. :p

20. DustPilot

DustPilot Guest

GPU:
    intel hd 630
    I've given up on the Oculus as well....