Manufacturers roll out firmware updates for GeForce GTX 1070 due to memory Issue

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 20, 2016.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Krimson

Krimson New Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 1070 amp editio
    flickering

gpu-z say my zotac have samsung chip but i have some flickering in mafia 3 is that memory issue too or its from the game ?

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is specifically for Micron VRAM cards. It's probably the game or driver in your case.

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung ICs do not have this issue. And knowing the game ... I'd place my money that being the root of your issue.

5. Krimson

Krimson New Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 1070 amp editio
    ok thx guys ;)

6. KayserKay

KayserKay Member

GPU:
    Palit Super JS GTX 1070
    For Palit GTX 1070 after Flash:

Board power Limit:
    Target: 195.0 W
    Limit: 225.0 W

...raised to Gamerock Power Limit!

Attention:
    And make sure you use Afterburner or Thundermaster (needs to run in background) for Manual Fan Control, cause Bios update disables Automatic Fan Control!!!

7. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    I have a gigabyte gaming G1 and GPUZ is showing that I have micron memory.

8. jadium

jadium Active Member

GPU:
    NVATI
    Hmmm interesting...i'm somehow sick of this kind of discovers, Hardware issues patched with a wonky software plug...(most of the time reducing the life expectancy of the product), With a 500€/$/£+ cards this is not acceptable anymore!!

Not sure now, I'm using an EVGA 1070 SC ACX 3.0, flagged on EVGA forum, but GPU-Z 12 see some Samsung GDDR5..., i don't want to open it to check the Chips... is GPUZ reliable enough?

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Its in the game....

10. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    So what does the new video card BIOS do? Loosen the timings on Micron memory? Pump more volt into it? Something else?

I'm guessing Micron GDDR5x memory on other Nvidia cards isn't affected by this problem either.

11. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    I have a evga 1070 sc acx (bought like a week and a half ago) and been having some issues running firestrike with oc. Anything other than default settings would stop the benchmark after 1st test. And had some strange artefacts on few not so demanding games. So i guess it might be what was causing it. Will try to check once i get back home...

12. BlueRay

BlueRay Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Here we go again. I hate those dirty discoveries months after a product's release. Sure this is not the 970 memory fiasco but still it's a dirty discovery hidden under the rug. Can NVIDIA stop this already with these expensive products?

13. Landcross

Landcross Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1
    Same. I also have a Gigabyte G1 with (according to GPU-z) Micron memory.

14. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX4080 OC
    I do not see the issue. It's not like they falsely advertised or something or the cards burst in flamea (*cough* samsung batteries *cough*) It is just a minor issue that can be sorted with a bsimple bios update.

15. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Isn't any card you buy such as the "superclocked" SC model already overclocked at factory nearly to as fast as it can go reliably?

If you are then trying to add even more overclocking to it, then of course the GPU overclock and any benchmark run will fail. Doubt it is anything to do with the memory.

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    The situations is a different one here. With the 970 Nvidia knew exactly what they were doing, with bad RAM batches it's actually not Nvidia's topic at all, they never even touch a card's VRAM. It's the board partner's issue. Anybody feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here.

Sorry to say this, but complain about the manufaturers for using (cheaper?) not as good RAM chips, not the GPU designer that just supplies the graphics chip.

17. SirDremor

SirDremor Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1050
    It is not a "dirty discovery", it's not like someone was hiding this as a secret. So maybe you stop bashing Nvidia just because you don't like this news, ok?

In any way - the choice to use Micron memory was of respective manufacturer, not Nvidia. You can go and unload all the trash you have on those manufacturers instead...

18. jadium

jadium Active Member

GPU:
    NVATI
    It is an issue, you just fail to see it. And that's ok.
    Defective products (hardware level) must always! Always! be recalled, fixed and exchanged (but yeah it cost a lot of money to do so)...Soft patch a Software is ok, soft patch a Hardware defect is NOT...

The problem is, they get away with it way too easily lately...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  19. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It's not really a hardware defect. The incorrect voltage is being supplied to the memory. They can tune the voltages up and down in software, people do it all the time with BIOS mods.

20. jadium

jadium Active Member

GPU:
    NVATI
    The voltage is lined up with the Micron specifications, if for some reason you have to push more to stabilize it, it's a hint that you have a flaw in your design or your chips.

More voltage or overclocking have a cost, usually life expectancy of the said product.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016