No HDMI audio when using Displayport MST/4k on SLI GTX 780s

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by MattTS, Jul 10, 2014.

1. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    I'm having quite a specific problem that might need a bit of explanation of the configuration first.

I have a 4k display (Panasonic wt600) that I can drive at 60hz through displayport with full 4:4:4 colour from my GTX 780s. I recently upgraded from my logitech z5500s which were driven by multichannel analogue to a proper AV-receiver (Yamaha RXV-677). I can use HDMI to get 4k60 video but only at 4:2:0 colour which looks pretty terrible for text. Using just the HDMI output like this I can get audio to work fine with the receiver.

GTX 780s--[HDMI]--Receiver--[HDMI]--TV

However, what I want to do is use displayport to get the video signal with 4k 60hz 4:4:4 goodness and then use HDMI to send audio to the receiver

GTX 780s--[Displayport]--TV
    |__[HDMI]__Receiver

. The problem is that when the displayport cable is connected to the TV and using MST, the HDMI audio output to the receiver just won't work. Windows and the Nvidia control panel detect that the receiver is connected via HDMI and the receiver detects an HDMI signal. The receiver is set as the default audio device and using the test tone from Windows just gets no audio even though the bar moves for that device showing audio should be playing. If I switch the displayport to use SST (limited to 1080p or 4k30) then the audio device starts actually working.

I'm using Nvidia 340.43 drivers at the moment and have Geforce experience installed. I have a few more ideas to test but I'm at work at the moment. I want to connect a second TV instead of the receiver to see if HDMI audio will work in that case. As far as I know the HDMI outputs on the second GPU are disabled during SLI so I want to try disabling SLI and using the second card to output audio. This isn't the solution I want for gaming though. I'm considering trying different driver versions. I'm not sure if this is a hardware limitation or a bug.

In summary, HDMI audio won't work when using MST mode from displayport. How can I fix it?

2. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    Is display port part of the sound devices in NVidia CP?
    If yes, have you tried to turn it off in digital Audio menu ?
    It may help.

It is probably an HW limitation or a bug in the driver. So the best is to ask the question to Nvidia directly to be sure. But not sure you will get an answer to your ticket :)

As a workaround you can consider using the Intel GPU and its HDMI port.
    I saw on the web that your MB has an HDMI port.
    The counterpart is that you need to install Intel drivers :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2014
  3. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    Thanks for the reply. I can't actually disable the displayport audio when it's set to MST which I find kinda odd. The displayport audio itself does seem to be functional during this though as I can get noise through the TV's speakers.

I've posted on Nvidia's forum but not actually made a proper support request yet.

I've been looking into using the Intel one but I've got a feeling there's some limitation on using it at the same time as a real GPU. I'll give it a go when I get home soon though, thanks.

4. Nono06

Nono06 Guest

GPU:
    4080 RTX
    I do not think that 2D and sound pass trough could be a problem.
    3d rendering on both at the same time, it is another story...
    As you said, the best is to try. It should not take that long :)

5. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    Thanks, got it set up with Intel GPU. Was a bit of a job messing around with bios setting and getting PC to recognise that the GPU was there and then to get the drivers installed. Now for 4k through displayport on Nvidia and HDMI audio through Intel onboard. Got an extra 1024x768 blank monitor to deal with but that should be fine. I'm still kind of interested in the original problem though.

6. DerSchniffles

DerSchniffles Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080Ti
    Have you tried setting it up the way you had it first AND the display port?

Meaning you should have Display port hooked up to your tv and then 780 via hdmi--receiver--tv.

Try hooking both up. Use the way it worked for audio, but use the display port for video.

Might do nothing but just trying to help. I have mine setup like you minus the display port so im trying to think this through haha.

7. GPU

GPU Guest

just saying

have you made any of the 8 nv hdmi play back devices as the default or just plug and play?
    -right click speaker icon - click play back devices and have a look.
    -I use a sound card so I have all that junk disabled in device manage and never used it but
    when I went from dvi to display port windows made my monitor a play back device as in sound card , so you might want to disable that also

8. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    I agree. Right click on the little volume icon in the lower right of your screen. Right click on playback devices,click on the nvidia playback device and set it as default device. That should fix it. Also,I don't know if receivers are compatible with a display port connection. If not I'm not sure you can run an HDMI to your receiver and get sound thru one of the 780's,its possible. Does your motherboard have high def audio? If your motherboard has an HDMI out,plug into that. Don't use the video card. Use the onboard sound HDMI,the receiver will decode it anyhow,so it won't matter. That's how I do sound with my HTPC..

9. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    Yeah, I omitted that part from the diagram. It didn't make a difference. Since the TV was set to receive displayport, the receiver couldn't detect the TV so the PC just saw the EDID from the receiver.

GPU, goat1: I've already checked the default devices etc. "The receiver is set as the default audio device and using the test tone from Windows just gets no audio even though the bar moves for that device showing audio should be playing."

goat1, Receivers are meant more for home theatre so none I could find support displayport. Yeah, I got it set up with HDMI audio from the onboard Intel eventually. Cheers.

10. goat1

goat1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4090 Strix OC
    Also,make sure nothing is muted by accident. Going thru that onboard sound,it should work. There's just something goofy is all. Wish I was there to look at it :)

11. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    Cheers, I think it is genuinely a hardware limit or software bug now. Motherboard sound has been fine so far, at least.

I managed to find another person in a similar boat on AVS forums. They said that they couldn't get audio working when using Nvidia surround with GTX 780s but it worked fine when the same monitors were connected but surround was disabled.

Looking into using Ultramon to hopefully fix the problem of the phantom extended display where I can lose windows/the mouse by accident.

12. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    Can't you enable pass through on the telly and run an optical from the telly out to the logitech. that way you can keep using just displayport.

13. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    Optical and HDMI ARC are limited to PCM 2.0 or dolby/dts. Not really ideal for games with PCM 5.1.

14. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    If only Lindy or cablesson made a display port audio extractor like they do for HDMI all would be solved. Maybe they'll make one now display port usage is on the up.

15. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    could always get a small soundcard or if you have optical onboard send the sound to that?

16. MattTS

MattTS Guest

GPU:
    SLI 2x Nvidia GTX 1080
    I can use the onboard Intel GPU to get full HDMI audio capability to the AV receiver. Optical from the onboard soundcard would have the same limitations making it not much good for games or newer blu-ray sound formats.