What the Hell Happened to Saving in PC Games?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by StannieDum, Dec 30, 2012.

1. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    Title says it all really. As an 'older' gamer, I find myself becoming more and more frustrated with developers for the modern take on saving in PC video games and the move to the more console orientated 'checkpoint' system is now becoming a genuine deal breaker for me when deciding which games (if any) to buy.

There are some checkpoint systems that work okay (at a push), but some are becoming just plain ridiculous. The recently released Far Cry 3 is one such example. In that game, it took me far too long to work out how the rather confusing system works and by the time I realised that checkpoints don't survive once you shut down the game and restart it, I had lost hours of gameplay. In an open world 'sandbox' type game like Far Cry 3, where players are encouraged (and rewarded) in exploration, it is utter insanity to make it so that you are actually afraid to stop playing for fear of losing all your progress. There are plenty of other games guilty of similar madness too.

I miss the days when you could save wherever you wanted and therefore quit the game whenever you wished, but sadly these are getting fewer and fewer. Bethesda still get it right, though. The ability to save anywhere without the annoying checkpoint system makes playing The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim a pleasure rather than a chore. :)

Sure if your game is a linear, connect-the-dots type mindless corridor slugfest (ie. Call of Duty), then checkpoints are fine, but in open world games? Why encourage exploration on the one hand, then punish you for it on the other? :confused:

So come on developers, get a grip on reality and remember that your game is just that - A GAME! As in 'something to play and enjoy as a pastime'. Your creations are NOT as important as you think they are. Stop punishing players for having the audacity to switch your game off. We all have real lives to get on with and need to be able to stop playing when we bloody well want or need to.

Would love to hear other player's takes on this. :)

Stannie

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Far Cry 3 is a rather odd hybrid, you get the checkpoint system but you are still allowed to save or quick-save manually whenever you want with however the restriction that you can't do it at all during any ongoing mission and when loading the game no matter where you saved you are transported to the nearest radio tower or outpost, depending on which is closest.

3. twtaylor

twtaylor Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    You still have quite a few games that let you save anywhere. Dishonored comes to mind as one example of a free saving game.

4. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Yeah, Microsoft & their Windows Live, Steam, etc...

Several games require an internet connection by force to save, wtf?

So for those having a portable laptop may not be able to save all games should an internet connection not be available.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I miss quick save in many games. I recently replayed Arkham City and I hated the checkpoints, I had to force myself to play just a bit more to get it to save when I was tired. They say it "adds tension", if their game relies on checkpoints to add tension it's probably not going to be worth playing.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Doesn't F5 work?

7. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Half-Life 1998 - F6 quick save & F7 quick load. :)

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nope. Probably due to GFWL's encrypted save BS.

9. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080

Every game 2012 - Wait 2 seconds behind a corner.

10. aircool

aircool Don Aircooleone Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 560 Ti 448 Core
    Console ports.

11. The Janitor

The Janitor Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080 Ti
    There's a lengthy discussion about this on neogaf, I'm surprised to see so many people against it. Apparently it "ruins the tension" which is pretty absurd

I'm guessing they are console gamers :wanker:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=505476

12. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    lol, to think I posted the exact opposite a few posts above!

13. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    Far Cy 3 really annoys the hell out of me for that reason as well.Plus the guy for having to save his friends sure has a lot of time to run around exploring.I hate the checkpoint system as well for the exact reasons given.I don't have big blocks of time to run around progressing to only lose it all I think I burnt the weed fields 5 times and I was so sick of that song by the time I finished.

14. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Haha, your right! Amazingly, somehow I did the weed scene on the second attempt, got fried the first time. It was tough & enemies seemed to keep coming & eventually you run out of ammo!

Music wasn't bad but was repetitive! I remember when my younger 11 year old brother got to the very same stage, I heard the SAME song for over an hour, lol.

He just kept dying & dying despite playing on easy. He is only a kid, so a bit of a noob when it comes to games!

Naturally after some time he came & begged me to burn the weed fields.

I said your playing on easy & you cannot burn the weeds? I then remembered he's just 11 & done it for him.

15. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    Good to hear these views, guys. Thanks.

Just had a very quick scan through that thread, and it seems to me that most of the posters there are 'pro' save anywhere. As are the posts here, so far. The point is of course that if you don't like the 'save anywhere option', then you need not use it, whereas if it's a checkpoint only system, you have no option and only get the saves that the devs (rather than the player) make.

Quite a few people blame the consoles for this checkpoint system, and to a point, that's probably true, but there are console games that permit free saving anywhere. Bethesda's games are one example and there are others, so why restrict the player so much. Give us an option to save - or not save as we see fit.

Stannie

16. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Quick save should be an option in every pc game.

If you do not want to use it fine....but it should be an option.

17. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    Yep. That perfectly explains everything that "PC Gamers" don't like in modern games. That's the answer.
    And it explains Far Cry perfectly. A PC exclusive in 2004 with a checkpoint only save system.

Sorry, but to me that seems like a cheap 'throw out' excuse to cover almost everything people don't like about games these days.
    Yet they forget games like RAGE, DisHonored, Borderlands 2.... and all the others that still allow manual saving and quick saving.

It's a developers design decision. Yes, in a lot of cases it is heavily influenced by the game being a multi-platform release. But it's not only because of that. It's a decision made by the studio during development.
    The game being a console port, or a multiplatform release has little to do with it.

18. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    I agree that there's way too many checkpoint saving games at the moment. But not all games should be save-anywhere-you-like either.
    While I can't think of a specific example right now, there must be some games that are trivialized without checkpoint saving.
    Think of it as a gauntlet. If you want to save you have to pass through this area without dying to earn it.

19. StannieDum

StannieDum Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 980
    Whilst I might partly agree with what you say when it comes to linear and tightly scripted games, but do you feel the same way about open world games that encourage exploration?

Edit: Actually after re-reading your post, I see that you say not ALL games should be checkpoint based. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012
  20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    nope , dont have any difficulty with it. quite used to it by now.