NEW PC BUILD. Recommend me parts!

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by seercirra, Jul 8, 2016.

1. seercirra

seercirra Guest

GPU:
    RX480 Nitro+O.C.
    So, it's time to completely upgrade practically everything. I'll be getting a new case and keyboard too.

The only internals i will be keeping are the PSU, drives and soundcard.

Here is my current list

http://www.ebuyer.com/lists/7EA1D2207CF5DBC32DAF4B7FAE0B580F

Everything is subject to change, you can recommend any alternative, even that I wait for Zen if that's what you think. The 480 is just a placeholder until we get benchmarks of the aftermarket cards and the 1060 - I don't plan to buy for another couple of weeks. There are multiple mobos on the list because i can't yet decide between them - your recommendations are valued. Good onboard audio isn't a consideration as i have a soundblaster z.
    There is no keyboard on the list yet. I'd like something mechanical, nice for typing and gaming, preferably under £70 although certainly under £85.

Recommend away!

2. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I think there's an issue with your list, you don't need more than one motherboard :D. Also it looks like you're missing things such as a better cooler, and the keyboard and mouse you mentioned that you'd like.

That is an upgrade, and it will certainly be faster, however it won't be a massive upgrade. I would hold out and see what Zen offers. In the meantime though, you could upgrade your graphics card which should give you a nice boost. Out of all the components you listed, the graphics card will give you by far the nicest boost.

Some people may disagree with this, and say 'upgrade, you won't be disappointed', or 'when I upgraded it was signficantly faster' etc, but I think there are some people tryng to justify their expense!

Check out:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9EJNa0y524

It's a comparison pretty direct to what you are looking for, a 2600K at 4.5 Ghz vs a 6700K at 4.4 GHz, with the same GTX970 video card. Really the only game where there was significant advantage was in GTA V, but as the person pointed out that the game was still perfectly playable on the 2600K, so the difference becomes irrelevant.

An upgrade would still be good, just at a time where it would make more sense to. That is, upgrading to Zen, which will be easily upgradeable to Zen+ when it comes out a year +/- a couple of months later, or waiut for Cannon Lake, which is the next true Intel processor. Kaby Lake doesn't count, it was a architecture added last minute due to issues with Cannon Lake. It will probably be similar to performance as Skylake.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2016
  3. Mannerheim

Mannerheim Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800XT
    Ur CPU is still high end.. dont need new one. Just get new GPU and ur flying!!

4. seercirra

seercirra Guest

GPU:
    RX480 Nitro+O.C.

Thanks, I am not running a 460, ive been a member here since 2008 and didn't update all my parts. I have a 7870 at the moment.
    Regarding the processor, i'd like to wait but my motherboard is on its last legs. Since a lightning strike turned my comp off last year, i can't use 2 of the mobo usb slots or i get 'power surge detected' message and windows shuts down. Also i can't restart my computer, i have to turn it off and wait 5 seconds for the ethernet port light to turn off, as if i don't, i have no internet. I would like to wait for Zen but I am concerned about being left with no comp at all. I explained why there are multiple mobos and no keyboard on that list: These are the kind of mobos i am looking at but i need help deciding and i don't really know where to start with keyboards. I am not looking for a mouse, very happy with the g303^^