Random PC restart

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by DiceAir, Jul 1, 2016.

1. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Ok so overthe weekend I was thinking about myself how about ASUS realbench. Now that thing stresses out the cpu a lot. I go 80C easily with that test and went on for a few minutes and bang freeze and blue screen WHEA error and restart. So maybe in fact my cpu is not stable. So I decided to go ahead and reset my bios to defaults and only changing my memory to xmp profile. ASUS has a feature in the montherboard that allows my cpu to go straight 4.4GHZ regardless of how many cores are being used. So I tested realbench for about 10-11m now and so far no BSOD.

I've been actually struggling to get it 100% stable last time I did the overclock on 4.6GHz so maybe my cpu can't reach 4.6 and will just do 4.4GHZ stable. Will I even see a huge gain going to 4.6GHz? I don't know but looks like it's not worth all the effort I already put into trying to get 4.6GHz changing all sort of voltages. It could still be something else but I doubt it. I might test crysis later again to see weather it runs now but for now I think I'm done with overclocking. I will rather have a stable system than putting in all the effort to get my cpu stable. If anyone maybe want me to test something else I will give it a try.

Just one more thing when doing Realbench my cpu voltage went up to 1.3V and I think that's a bit high for my liking.

2. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    So as many have said, it might be CPU OC and good to hear you are at least super stable at stock or lower OC. Its not really going to matter TOO much unless you play games that are cpu intensive like Fallout, ARMA or turn based strategy games when the AI is heavily planning its next moves.

If you want better CPU performance, try to tighten up your RAM timings. It does help in a small way.

We have similar systems and I can go into windows at 4.7 GHZ but as soon as I run anything cpu intensive it will freeze and reboot. I just leave it at 4.4 GHZ and am done with it with a stock Corsair H50 (yup, oldie but goodie). Temps are still reasonable even maxed out on all 4 cores @ stock voltages.

The only games I play that really needs that more than what I have now is ARMA 3, Fallout, Metro, Stalker series or X-Com. Every other game I play are mostly GPU intensive. I don't play BF4 and even GTA 4 runs good as long as it is installed on the SSD.

Don't have GTA 5 yet and won't get it until I get a much bigger SSD. No way I would play it on an HD now.

Until 5+ GHZ stable OC'ed on all core cpus become readily available, I'm just going to put the extra $ into a better GPU, monitor and better SSD. I don't have the time or patience to Delid and spend over 100 USD on a better cpu cooler just for 200-300 more MHZ.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2016
  3. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Yeah seems like some games stresses the cpu in other ways. Maybe the way crysis stresses the cpu makes it unstable more than Black ops 3.

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    With my 4790K I had it OCed to 4.7 and I thought I had everything stable with a slight voltage increase but when I did something such that put load to the CPU such as Ripping a DVD to an MP4 file caused me to get a Blue screen of death. So I just said to myself 4.4ghz is plenty fast enough there is only a slight increase in performance between 4.4 and 4.6/4.7 in CPU intensive games.

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    A stable system is a happy system :)