No power! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shimyns, Apr 10, 2014.

1. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE r9 290x Tri-X OC
    Hey guys,

Yesterday, I booted up, didn't get any visuals on my monitor so did a hard reboot. This happens rarely but has happened before.

However, after it shut down, it stopped responding- completely.

No fans, not a single LED... nothing. Completely dead.

I tried resetting CMOS with the button on the back, removing the lithium battery for while, disconnecting from power source. It's just dead.

I'm thinking bad PSU or mobo. I'm leaning toward PSU because it's relatively old (maybe 5 years) and when I opened it up it had a bunch of lint/dust and some of the capacitors looked bulged. The mobo is only about 2.5 years old and "looks" fine.

So, I've ordered a new PSU (CORSAIR HX Series HX850 850W ) and am waiting for it to arrive.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139011

In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has any opinion as to which component they think is the likely culprit, based on the symptoms. I'd hate to be wasting my time waiting for a psu when something here that I don't know of indicates that it's not the psu....

Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  2. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Bread boarding it doesn't work.

The paper clip test for the psu turns on the psu fan so the psu is at least not completely shot but otherwise idk if it actually functions.

No LEDs turn on at all. Not even the clear cmos button. The clear cmos flashes on and off just one time, 5 seconds after I flip off the psu switch.

Could it be the lithium battery? I have a feeling that the new psu won't help, because the current one passed the paper clip test, although I know this doesn't nessecarily mean it's ok.

ughhhhhhhh!

ideas?

ps- I should have the new psu in a few days. I'd hate to have to get a new mobo!

3. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    The lithium battery is just the fail-safe for the CMOS. Meaning it's used to save CMOS data if PSU is off (completely).

This kind of "sudden death" could be caused by the PSU but also the mobo or the CPU.

I had an identical issue with my system years ago and the reason was an incompatible CPU (meaning the same as no CPU or broken CPU).

The system was completely dead. Replacing the CPU brought it back to life.

If you can, try another CPU and see if the problem persists.

If it does, wait for your new PSU and check. If you still have the issue, then it's your mobo.

BTW you might be able to have your mobo replaced due to warranty if it's 2.5 years old. Most manufacturers give their motherboards a 3 year warranty.

4. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    In this type of case, i see 2 things, CPU or motherboard..

In general if it is the CPU what you see is the board power 1/4 of second. But thats not allways the case. It really depend what have break on it.

I suggest anyway you try remove the cpu cooler and check if you see any damage or decoloration on the socket. check too if all wires are good.

The good thing with last motherboard, you can boot even without cpu installed.

Lets hope it is the PSU...

5. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Thank you all for your replies.

I understand that it could be the CPU. I just find it sort of unlikely, I mean, it's just harder for me to imagine the CPU "breaking" for no apparent reason. It's only 2.5 years old and although it is OC'ed, I have it on Gigabyte's dynamic vcore so it is at low voltage and clocks unless it is stressed, and I don't stress it (game, etc) that often at all. It is super stable, never crashes, and runs at low heat both idle and stressed. Also, from what I've read, I'd expect the fans to rev up for a second and the lights to come on, were it the CPU...

It's also hard for me to believe that it's the mobo. I mean, I haven't introduced any changes to anything over the past 2 years and it just seems random that it would suddenly fail.

I don't know how to interpret the fact that, although no lights at all turn on when I try to power up, the CMOS button on the back flashes just one time, 5 seconds after I physically disconnect the power or switch off the PSU.

The PSU, however, is from my previous build and I would say that of all the components, it is both the oldest and has been taxed the most (running my old and hungry GPU and also OC'ed CPU, etc.). Plus, PSU's are known to degrade over time. But, as I wrote before, shorting it with a paper clip causes its fan to run....

I just got notice that my PSU should be delivered by this evening!

If the new PSU fails to solve the problem, I don't know how to proceed. I don't have an extra CPU, RAM, or mobo...

Checking any of these would entail purchasing them (and possibly returning them) which is a huge pain in the a$$....

6. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    Im part of the peoples who was think, cpu rarely die, ( i have kill some motherboard with subzero anyway, and even in this case the cpu was still perfectly fine ) .. untill i build a new machine, with new motherboard, new I7 4930k, every component include the PSU are new.. the system have run perfectly during 2-3days .. one evenung, i boot it, nothing..

I was think it is surely the motherboard, ( could have been damaged during the transport, or who know ) .so i rma it to the shop i have bought it. they dont test with another cpu, and send it directly to Asus.. tired of waiting i buy a mb for build the system.. surprise,... no boot.. i test another cpu, it boot...

result: i got 2 motherboard perfectly fine, psu was fine, it is the cpu who have die for an unknown reason...

Now, wait your PSU, and if it still not that, maybe it will be time for look for an upgrade...

Huum shops have normally cpu for test ... maybe you can see how much it can cost to test the motherboard with another cpu, it take 1min for do it.... ( if the guy is nice, and he think you will buy him a new motherboard or cpu, it can maybe even do it for free, asking dont cost anything ... )..

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think its psu too, probably one of 12V rails busted, either for cpu or gpu.

PSU can still work though, like by that paper clip test, but Im sure that doesnt test 12V lanes

8. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    My money is on psu

9. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Haha maybe I should start a gambling poll.

I sure hope it is the PSU like -Tj- thinks....

Hopefully I'll be able to report this tonight.

@Lane, thanks for your suggestion. I'm not sure if I know of any shops here although I've never looked into it. I brought my PC to Boston from abroad and haven't so much as entered or even seen a computer store here (and haven't needed to either...).

I could always just order these components but that would be a huge hassle. As far as upgrading, I seriously do not want to do this. If anything, I was thinking about replacing my GPU once r9 290x prices went down but I never intended on switching any other component for years to come. I hardly ever game anymore...

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I don't know I spy a Gigabyte motherboard. It does sound like a PSU though.

11. shimyns

shimyns Guest

GPU:
    Hey guys, just wanted to let ya'll know that it was indeed the PSU!

Got my new HX-850 last night, hooked it up, and everything is back to normal. This goes to show that the paperclip PSU test really does only show if it's completely shot but doesn't indicate whether it functions under load.

Anyway, I'm super glad it was just the PSU. Thank you all for your suggestions!

12. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Enjoy your rig again.

13. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Great news man! The same thing happened to me in the past. But in my case the *SOB* PSU killed two hardrives and two RAM sticks. You were lucky your PSU died a peaceful and graceful death. :)

14. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    Haha, bit late

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  15. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Glad you got it fixed! Enjoy!