Stop Nvidia driver in Windows update!

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Elajitz, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Elajitz

Elajitz Master Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4090
    i going nuts on this!...
    How do i stop nvidia driver from being installed from the windows update
    on Creators update ? wushowhide.exe are not working and not DDU!

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    turn off driver search in window update folder in gpedit, I have not had drivers found or force able installed I still using 375.70
    Administrative templates>Windows Components>windows Updates>"Do not include drivers with windows update"

You can also block device installs via GUID Class this how ever will stop even manual installed of drivers for said device
    Administrative templates>System>Device installation Restrictions>"Prevent installations of devices using drivers that match these device setup classes"

You can get guid from device manager GPU>properties>details>"class guid"

Last time I had drivers forcable installed I was still on 1511 build and driver install by bypassed WU completely, newer drivers were install but was never listed in WU history.

I only using the first settings, atm

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  3. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I thought the CU added a function to stop automatically applying any updates and you can block the ones you don't want (like in W8 and W7.)

4. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Administrative templates>Windows Components>windows Updates>"Do not include drivers with windows update"

This was added with AU update, so far ever pc I have this set on have not had forced updates done

the other options I listed permantly stops installs, user and windows installs, as such as this option not ideal, another options is disable windows updates like some people say

5. Djavulen

Djavulen Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 8GB
    On Windows 10 i'd really recommend using Windows Update MiniTool. You can easily see al l the updates Windows 10 wants to download, easily choose what to install or not to install. And Hide Updates.

6. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Thanks, didn't know about this.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Set internet connection as metered one to stop almost all WU activity (they lessened the restriction comparing to AU, and they now allow to set ethernet connection as metered too). And there is a checkbox somewhere either near the device manager in Control panel (drivers update options) or in new settings (will check at home).

Update: I checked at home and the checkbox controlling downloading over the metered connections right in the Settings => Bluetooth & other devices.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2017
  8. snight01

snight01 Master Guru

GPU:
    GB RTX 4090gamingOC
    Still need the solution?

It's part of my Windows 10 CE Optimization Guide i'm preparing.

Anyway here's the solution. Visit tenforums for the following regfiles.

1. Never_install_driver_software_from_Windows_Update ( https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...iver-automatic-installation-windows-10-a.html)

(Which does this, [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\DriverSearching]
    "SearchOrderConfig"=dword:00000000)

2. Disable_Drivers_in_Windows_Update ( https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials...iver-updates-windows-update-windows-10-a.html)

(Which does this,
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]
    "ExcludeWUDriversInQualityUpdate"=dword:00000001)

3. Lastly you can do this, I've done the same too. Go to RUN/gpedit.msc

Computer Configuration> Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Windows Update > Configure Automatic Updates

Set to Enabled and 2 - Notify for download and auto install

Thats it. You should be good to go from there. Also i recommend you do this when you do a fresh install to keep the nvidia drivers or other drivers intact. Keep the Ethernet cable out or disabled in bios when doing this with a fresh install.

Also this is done,tested and verified with windows 10 creators update.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017