Setting up crossfire

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Morgo, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Morgo

Morgo Guest

GPU:
    2x HD 7850 2GB
    Hi,

I managed to get my hands on another Asus HD 7850 2GB at a cut price and was considering setting up crossfire. Before i dive into that, I need to know if my machine specs are sufficient enough to run crossfire.

I was hoping that someone can point me in the right direction and possibly give me some valuable tips.

My system specs are:

Asus P6X58D-E
    i7-950
    Asus HD 7850 2GB
    8GB Crucial
    Corsair 750w
    WD 2TB

Thanks in advance.

2. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    I think so. Your 750W Corsair will most likely provide enough juice.

Edit: Oh, BTW... Some older motherboards may need a BIOS setting change. I had to do that for an older Asus one. Check your motherboard manual. Just to be sure. You can find it on the Asus site if you don't have it anymore.

Good luck. :)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    erm, install the 2nd card, bridge them together, boot to windows, enable crossfire when prompted, disable ulps.

that is all

4. Morgo

Morgo Guest

GPU:
    2x HD 7850 2GB
    I appreciate the replies as I'm fairly new to building PC's.

I really should of gone into a bit more detail in my original post.

Should I install more fans as I'm concerned about a build up of heat between cards?

I have my current HD 7850 OC'd (GPU Clock (MHz) 1100, Mem Clock (MHz) 5200) and I assume that there is no need to have this OC'd with crossfire installed?

Is there anything else that I should take into consideration when installing Crossfire?

Thanks

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    hmmm, seeing your motherboard layout, you'll have to use the top 2 PCI-E slots, there's not that much space between them, what 7850s are you getting? Make sure they fit. If you have big aftermarket coolers on the cards, it'll be tight.

What are your current temps? you will have higher temps in crossfire, but nothing drastic. I'm pretty sure the 7850 don't run that hot. If you can fit a fan in the side panel, do so, you'll get some fresh air blowing onto the cards.

I'm running 7950 crossfire, my temps have gone up very slightly after installing the 2nd card. You'll be fine, don't worry.

EDIT: Oh, all the monitors have to be connected to one card, don't forget to enable frame pacing in the driver as well. other than that, it's really simple.

6. Morgo

Morgo Guest

GPU:
    2x HD 7850 2GB
    Many thanks for this, much appreciated.

7. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    no problem, enjoy man. If you have any issues, post back.