[HD4870X2] Weird Clocks Issue

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by pharaphobia, Oct 26, 2014.

1. kevsamiga1974

kevsamiga1974 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    I mod most drivers for my own use mainly for better video and opengl support, I even managed to turn on the SidePort XSP on in some of them although it's useless...

As you will discover, there are quite a few bugs over that 5 years that need bypassing... ;-)

Right now it's really crazy because I'm running a heavily modified 9.12 (non HF), but at least every game I have on the HD works without issues or CTD. ;-)

Hell I even still play Oblivion...Sniper Elite+Sniper Elite NZA even behaves itself on such an old driver, and good performance too compared to all the modern crap. Skyrim works fully with 2 gpu's and no glitches, Stalker series, borderlands, pes 3 and Just Cause 2 and fallout 3 all working without issues under 9.12.

2. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    Umm Can you upload them somewhere please?:) I would love to get those running! Thx for all the help!

3. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    Bumperino .(

4. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Well I used to mod drivers and upload them on here before, but stopped doing it for various reasons...one being a very limited internet after I moved home into the middle of crapland.

The first driver to support SC2 was 10.6, but 10.6 didn't work for 4870x2 at all, the 2nd gpu did nothing in DX9 games, or the clocks weren't raised to 3D something like that...

What I have here is an experiment that is constantly changing and being tested, they are not in a fit state to release.

If you want a stable driver where everything "loads" at least and doesn't crash, stick with the range 9.9-10.5 (excluding 9.8, hotfixed 9.8 and 9.12 hotfix since they all crash IE 11 with apphangB1 errors on the DX10 aero part)

I am working on it though, fixing up 10.6 to a point it can actually be USED with the 4870x2. I found out that although 10.6 doesn't work for 4870x2 it is actually a very good driver potentially for 4K because it fixes the random grass in BC2, fixes Necrovision, fixes Crysis Warhead DX9 frame drops, and most important of all, doesn't crash any of the games I have installed on my testbed.

At the time, the choice you had was to either have BFBC2 working, and JustCause2 and StarCraft 2 broken, or StarCraft+JC2 working and BFBC2 broken. I'm aiming for getting all 3 to work...

My reason is......stalker series (Clear Sky, Call of Pripyat) crashes on EVERY driver from 10.7 onwards till 11.5 ! (DX10) yes, really...

11.6 fixes that (it's not in the release notes) but a driver that high for 4870x2 mostly breaks a lot of other stuff.

10.7 also introduced memory leak in borderlands crashing the game (DX9). The game was never DX10 capable despite what you may have read.

So as you see, DX10+DX9 after 10.6 became shall we say a little less stable.

The best drivers for 4870x2 are in the range 9.10-10.5. If for instance you play skyrim from 2011, it's commonly thought you need 11.11c or 12.1 for the second gpu to be used..not so on 9.10-10.5 and no face flashing/flicker either. It works perfectly !

Anno 1404 is broken on every driver in this range apart from 9.11. 9.11 is broken with borderlands.

Just try plain non hotfixed 9.12 and let me know what you think...

If you encounter bugs, I also wanna know too since I'm currently working with this range.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

5. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    I was about to finaly discover what drivers did TwL used for his modifiaction is it some kind of driver based on 10.11 :)! Im quite confused from your last post so whats basicly best confrimed thing for SC2 :D?

6. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    It's difficult, as anything after 10.6 DX components crashes games at least in my case. And I don't like to run or release modded broken crashing bollox.

*after 10.5 they also broke the amount of "shared memory" dxdiag reports, slowing down the card even more.

Performance is to be found anywhere between 9.10-10.5 for 4870x2, however SC2 doesn't work or shall we say "scale" with these, so I would say 10.10-11.1 (non hotfixes) to get the clocks working properly again with SC2 at least, but be advised there are flash video crashes stopped responding amdkmdap on this range with the introduction of UVD 3 screwing up 4K series playback.

10.12 includes the optimisations of the 10.10x hotfixes, but SC2 works. However crossfire performance on those can't outdo 10.9a.

I've already posted a modded 10.9a that can be found on here with fixed clocks on exit from 3D.

10.10a/b/c/d/e hotfixes have the protoss pylon bug.

And 10.12/11.1 are the only drivers out of all of them to not bomb 3DMark Cloudbursting test with a BSOD and reboot...

Aren't 4870x2 AMD drivers fun ?

Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  7. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    When I'm reading this I think that actually nobody discovered the card true potential since its being holded back with drivers right? :) I think I will prefer your drivers if there will be any chance to find them.. idk why but google always gives me dellrons posts and his drivers made just a mess in my pc :D

8. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    Actually after few things Im going to try 10.5 version since 90%users went beck when 10.9 10.10 and later cames out :)

9. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    wowowo what the ****? I installed 10.5.a and JEEZ scaling works,clocks are back even 2nd core reacting normally :O!!!!!! 10.5a ftw!

So there is the question

Kevs 10.5a fixes :p? I saw u reported some errors hope i wont recieve those :D

10. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    As I was saying and you evidently found out...crossfire got busted after 10.5a.

Nothing past 10.10 is worth an old shoe for this card.

The problem with 10.5a is it's opengl is broken for old stuff, that and gpu scaling in quadfire for opengl won't work you need < 3.2 opengl for that+Just cause 2 gives a black screen on 10.4/10.5's (need 10.3b or 10.6 to work)

As to fixing drivers, nah we've already been here before with TwL's v2.91 experimental build. I suggest you give those a try if you want to tweak out more performance.

I can't top that version...., and I'm not even going to attempt to try. While the 10.6 dx components themselves are probably the best, 10.6 driver itself is broken beyond compare.

I also found this that might come in handy for SC2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qq2IPdwADWo

Besides all my **** loads on a heavily modified 9.12, and I don't have to worry about profile screw ups either.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014

11. pharaphobia

pharaphobia Guest

GPU:
    HyperX 4GB 1600mhz
    2.91 Are actually the 10.4a o_O or TwL might renamed it anyway everytime I found out better perfomance with custom drivers so im going to try them now

12. kevsamiga1974

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 580 SC
    Yea they may be based on 10.4a, but they have 10.6 components inside (which is actually good for DX10 stuff)

EDIT

TwL's cleaner is still the original and best at reigning in the AMD multiple install/uninstall screw-up **** can of an installer...

If you do too many installs/uninstalls over time it's guaranteed to screw something up with your driver system eventually all by itself with no assistance required by you.

TwL's script still bails me out of a bad situation every time...not the ripoff others that are questionable at best.

....And I wouldn't recommend anything on XP past 10.10 (for all those games that won't work on Vista or 7 due to SecureRom or some other ****)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2014