The GTX 1080 thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by bugsixx, May 7, 2016.

1. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    well i am not sure how to check but GPU-Z shows it at 16x pcie 3.0 even in there stress test option under that tab if thats what you are asking me?

2. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    So when running the GPU-Z stress test it says "PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x16 3.0" or "PCI-E 3.0 x16 @ x8 3.0" ?

Just curious. Because I would assume running a second pcie device in the second pcie x16 slot would drop the gpu from x16 down to x8.

If not, all is good then!

3. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    yup at full load x16 3.0 fully enabled

4. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Should one consider replacing the original thermal paste on the MSI Gaming X gtx 1080 ?

I have Gelid Extreme at home.

5. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I wouldn't. I mean the difference would be negligible at best and don't you lose warranty if you do so? Unless of course you mean to put it under water or a different cooler, then you'll have to do it anyway.

6. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Oki thank you already. As i'm not planning anything extraordinary on this card i'll leave it as is.

7. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Yes.

I've never seen a good application from the factory, always way too much and usually dried out.

8. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    Today i saw a 0C3D review of this card and it was odd but one of the GPU's VRM and one of the GMemory weren't covered by a thermal pad...
    I am going to check this anyway and as TinyTomLogan said it himself there was way too much of it all over the ship.

OC3D's review on this MSI Gaming X gtx1080: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aT2lJX_EFY

You confirming this and that's case closed. ill do it no matter the warranty

Thx Agent-A01 and Solfaur

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  10. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    @-Tj-

If those specs are true (and I have a feeling that they are), then the 1080Ti will be nothing like the 980Ti was vs old Titan X. They simply stripped it down too much, except price, I bet they will even bump that.

I was initially bought this 1070 back in June as a placeholder for the 1080Ti, but if the 1080Ti will be like in those rumors then meh, I'll probably skip it.

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah I though I posted in 1080TI thread :D

True, well it "can't" be faster then TitanXP, but also it can't be slower then max OC'ed 1080GTX.

If you compare those specs with TitanXP, then its not so crippled by tflops, it has higher gpu frequency, also higher Gpixel because of it - both 96ROP.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/2863/titan-x-pascal

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
  12. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

well I looked at the specs and dont seem to understand why they slowed the memory 2ghz. I think they can do better there, considering 1080 1070 and Titan have an effective 10000mhz gdrr5 memory.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Its normal GDDR5 not X with apparently 12GB ram, current maxwell did 7GHz 336GB/s, now its 8GHz like e.g. GTX1070.

14. Dburgo

Dburgo Guest

But why? The higher end 1080 and Titan go balls out with the better memory. Do you really think those specs listed would literally be the choice of RAM? Why do they Gimp there?! I dont like that.

15. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC

16. MikeG

MikeG Master Guru

GPU:
    Titan RTX
    Finally got a Gtx 1080 after years with Radeon. Watch Dogs 2 made me do it so I could run it faster on higher settings. And apparently my i7 3820 won't be a bottleneck to any bothersome degree, but maybe not everyone will agree with that.

17. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    My 2600k doesn't bottleneck a 1080.. You're fine.. Bottleneck is one of the most overused, and most misunderstood terms in computer history.. Especially when it comes to CPU/GPU pairings. People just throw it around to throw it around without even understanding what it even means. It's a buzzword. Truth is CPU technology really hasn't moved much in 5-6 years. They're more efficient, and the architecture streamlined but in RAW horsepower.. Negligible.. Especially with an overclock. Especially with modern CPUs which are becoming less and less and less overclock friendly because they're pushing the limits of clockspeeds that 5 year old CPUs could easily reach with an overclock.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  18. DStealth

DStealth Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GX 1080Ti@2088/12000
    Push further
    FSU 6k+
    TS 8.5k+
    FSX 12k+

Are doable in 2150/11k+ ranges.
    Edit: Speaking for GPU scores of course.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2016
  19. ToyTen

ToyTen Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx Taichi OC
    I think mine is limited at 2126 Mhz and the memory is quiet willing so that is nice.
    In search for the sweet spot, but 2150 sounds out of its range atm. 1.080vGPU is the issue or is it that sweet spot ...
    Thank you

20. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Anyone who's had 1080 for a longer time - have you noticed that you get artifacts when OCing your memory? Artifacts that were not present when you first got the card?

I had no problem pushing +500 on the memory when I first got the card without any artifacts. But since the benefit was close to none I didn't keep it OCd. Later I tried OCing again for testing purposes of a new game and noticed some dots appearing here and there during loading screens. Now I still get them even at +350, so it feels like the memory has "deteriorated". Does this make sense?