Noob Folder question

Discussion in 'Folding@Home - Join Team Guru3D !' started by DannyBoy27, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Im kinda new to this folding thing, but I have read all the info and have managed to set up my PS3 and got 2 GPU clients working on my CPU.

My questions are :
    1. How do i determine if i am getting a decent amount of PPD? / WU's done per day - i.e do i need to tweak setting etc to push the most out of my system.

2. Should I also install a CPU client to run along with the GPU clients ( not sure if its the done thing or not :p )

3. Is it healthy to be running my beautiful, valuable and very beloved PC and GPU at max all day and night??? There must be adverse side effects to this and some hardcore folders must be able to elaborate on the effects.
    * Ive noticed that my GTX295 is running high 90'C on each core. Surely thats gotta kill about a year off my GPUs lifespan :p

Anyway - pointers and info would be much appreciated!

2. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    First of all Welcome to the world of folding..
    1. Use FahMon or HFM.net to monitor you progress in real time.http://fahmon.net/download.html
    http://code.google.com/p/hfm-net/downloads/list
    2.installing a cpu client is totaly up to you, if you do them you will get far more PPD from the smp client or from the notFreds virtual machine client.

3. Yes folding on or stressing any cpu/gpu at high temps will shorten the life span.. best bet is too adjust your ran speeds to bring the temps down, the new MSI Afterburner tools is good or of course Riva tuner (personaly I have my GTX275's set at 70% fan this brings the temps back down to the mid-high 70c).
    You should be able to get approx 16000 PPD from your 295.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  3. happy

happy Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 9400GT
    right

1) just for your gpu your looking for around 15k ppd, you need to overclock shader and memory on ya gpu to increase output, obviously this has sideeffects as heat etc

2) personally running a cpu client wont give you more than 1k ppd, unless you look at running notfreds client, which personally isnt worth it if you have a 295 folding

3) course its healthy,you need to look at the point of that your helping stanford find cures for major illnesses

right your 295 runns hot is that at idle or full load? you need to look at decent airflow in your case

4. Zebatshu

Zebatshu Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX670
    15K PPD on a single GFX card, GOSH i need one of those. Its pity my country's electricity cost is so high, this folding business is going to hurt my dad's pocket :).

I manage 2K PPD on my quad core :( , but i have to get it off stock cooling, she is running way to hot.

5. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    Ok thanks for the info. I'll just let the GPU and PS3 fold for now and give the CPU a break. Seems like the GPU is more than enough to contribute.

I pushed the fan up to 70ish % on the GPU and its running at about 81'C which im quite happy with. The card pushes out alot of heat on full load but my airflow is actually pretty decent. Got an Antec p182 with 4 fans as well as a Noctua with push pull as the Aftermarket heatsink. Did some cable management to increase airflow. Seems fine now.

My g/f is probably gonna kill me when we get the electricity bill but Folding FTW! :)

6. yoyo69

yoyo69 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX670 Sli
    I'll keep an eye out for you in the team rankings, you should fly up it.

7. DannyBoy27

DannyBoy27 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX480
    I know - the gtx295 must be a powerful folder because ive gone from last to 448th in 2 days :)

Rank Donor Score WU
    448 Order911 14025 24