Best H2O cooler

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by nateluthje, Oct 16, 2016.

1. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Hi All,

Got 6700K @4.6ghz & 1.32V with noctura NH14 cooler. When I stress test it (using ASUS realbench) for about 2-3 hours, the CPU temp hits 74 degrees max.

I just wanted some advice on best AIO H2O cooler.

I can get h100i v2 for $169, and from what i've read (guru3d), keeps temp around 65 degrees @full load.

Other options I have is the NZXT Kraken X61 for $199 or EK Predator 240 AIO Expandable cooler for $269, which I don't really want to spend that much money if I can avoid it.

All comments are appreciated.

2. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    have you checked EK website directly as i found they were 70 dollars cheaper on the 240 than newegg

3. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    No, but thank you for pointing me in that direction.

Will go there now!

Cheers.

4. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    What is the BEST H2O cooler out of the 3 that I have mentioned?

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Best H2O and will be custom water loop or from those EK Predator or Swiftech H320 X2 Prestige,those two are best on market

Regarding the H100i V2,have one this one and H100i v2 failed within 6-8 months and temps,have look with my NH-D15 on load I'm getting at 4.5GHz OC 62-65C on PKG,with H100i V2 my temps has been 70-72C at 4.4GHz,with 4.5GHz my temps will be in 80's very easily

If I was you I would add extra fan on yours NH-D14,this should lower temps on load at least by 2-5C

What case do you have and what fans do you have installed and what is ambient temperature,I would assume in Australia right now is hotter like over here in UK during the night?

I still think in yours case,you need optimize airflow and this should lower temps on load

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

6. nateluthje

nateluthje Guest

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    Yeah, definitely, we are in spring now and it's F****ing HOT, summer will be even worse! Was going to get Kraken x61. I can't afford to keep my AC running @20 degrees all day. What are your thoughts?

7. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

Personally I wouldn't get AIO as there always is risk,pump will start to leak

Regarding yours temps in stress like is Asus RealBench is not bad if we are take to consideration yours high ambient temps

In games what are yours temps ?

They should be lower than that,as I saud,cheapest way how to lower temps with lower budget is optimize airflow in case,add extra fan on NH-D14 and probably get better thermal paste

Assume you are using supplied Noctua NH-H1 which has come with D14 ?

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

8. kaingr

kaingr Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte waterforce 1080
    why dont you try the new aios from swiftech they look nice

9. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    As the guys have said already, there's a few things you can do to improve the temps before committing to water-cooling but there are several points that need to be discussed before you consider something.

I spent a lot of money and time improving my case layout, new fans etc and should just have moved to watercooling and saved myself about 50 euros lol

Using my machine as an example, heres how my system performed:

AMD FurnaceX-9590 @ Boost 5011Mhz at 1.525v

Aircooled (Gelis Tranquillo v3)
    Min Temp: ~6c
    Max Temp: ~78c

Watercooled (Corsair H80i v2)
    Min Temp: ~21c
    Max Temp: ~50c

This was my first project into watercooling and was a little confused by the temp differences initially but essentially the Gelid cooler was great at low temps, it actually performs better than my AIO at idle. Good TIM and airflow was keeping the CPU very cool when the usage was say less than 30-40% but was easily overpowered by the FX after the 60c mark and then temps rocketed as i was overstretching the TDP limit of the cooler. Everything started to struggle a little at this point.

The AIO has a higher idle temp and a lower max temp as it is able to adsorb and shed the heat more efficiently at those higher temps.

For me, going to water, even something as basic as an H80i V2, was a good decision and the overall case temps have plummeted. Everyone knows how hot an AMD setup can get and by removing the air cooler and adding the watercooler, all components are running cooler than they were with the aircooler when at max temps, the aircooler was increasing the heat to all surrounding components. Some people might even say I'm mad and bound to run into problems cooling the FX monster on an H80i v2, but i dont use CPU intensive applications, only gaming, and therefore works well within my expected limits.

Theres no way that your CPU will put out more heat than mine, even when yours is overclocked so an H80i v2 (or similar) would be a good starting place. If you are using CPU intensive tasks, where you are at max % for 3 hours or more then the H100i would be best just to make sure you have enough surface area.

At first i thought i had made an irrational decision with my H80i but after a couple of days and the TIM had cured, so to say, i'm very happy with it so far, so are my components...

Just my 2 cents

10. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink

Hi there

You are started with wrong CPU air cooler as starting place,I've went back from AIO/CLC to air after trying H100i V2 on i7-5820k,H100i v2 couldn't cool my 5820k at 4.5GHz,I've run 4.4GHz due the temps as on 4.5GHz I could hit 85C under very heavy load

Some SW reports lower temps as they should,I've used previously RealTemp but this SW reported lower temps than HWMonitor or SIV,HWiNFO etc,HWMonitor reports sometimes lower temps too as they're actually,but I think is down to X99 and newer platform

If you will get better and bigger CPU cooler which is dual tower like is NH-D15,Phanteks PH-TC14PE and few others from Thermalright like is Macho HR02,True Power 140 and few others which are lot quieter under load

Here are my little test between the NH-D15 vs H100i V2

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=409704

Getting AIO or CLC,i wouldn't have bad experience with leaks and pump failures due this is,only way for me is air right now,although I'm planning go by custom water loop as next path

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura

11. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Wow looks like the price of the NZXT Kraken X61 has gone up! It's also an outgoing model, having been replaced with the Kraken X62.

12. PontiacGTX

PontiacGTX Guest

GPU:
    AMD
    you could get a Lepa EXllusion at newegg
    or if you dont mind about noise
    memoryexpress has the nepton 280L
    but if you want a less noisy AIO the corsair h115i on amazon

13. ESlik

ESlik Guest

GPU:
    EVGA x2 1080 Ti SC Black
    I highly recommend Swiftech. I've had a couple of them over the years, and they are the best, in my opinion. Dead quiet, and cooling is fantastic. Google some video reviews. You will be impressed.

14. ddelamare

ddelamare Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D GTX 1070 X4
    Mmmm... i'll take a look at those if i ever need to replace my H80i V2. :)