Stay with 390 or go for a 480/1060?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by chumanga1, Sep 24, 2016.

1. chumanga1

chumanga1 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX770
    My problem is not with some minor bugs which come with launched games and get sorted out soon.

My problem is with long lived VCE issue which in NVIDIA side works perfectly for years.

I recently asked Raptr support guy why they dont using constant framerate like OBS/Shadowplay do since 2013 and even Win10GameDVR is doing. He replied than they dont discovered how to do it yet.:bang:

2. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    And I have had a 7970 for almost five years and I've never had problems like that, like ever. Now I have an idle clocks/MadVR issue, but even that is relatively rare. What I want to say here is that individual experiences are just that, individual.

3. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I had R9 290 and I can totally see why someone would get nuts by using it. (In my case) When it comes to game profiles and settings NVIDIA just has better flexibility (for TrSSAA for example) and options. I really love how you can enhance MSAA levels with NVIDIA instead of forcing it. Really handy for some games like SWTOR. The thing is... If you use some things that is not possible on AMD you will not be happy. Some casual plug'n'play people probably do not care and thus "everything works fine" for them.

What really made me to switch back was black screen issues and piss poor power management. It ran memory full speed when display waa running at 75Hz. Thus idle temp was high and while watching video you could even hear the fan starting to ramp up. Obviously it was a really hot and far from quiet card too (MSI Gaming).

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  4. GanjaStar

GanjaStar Guest

GPU:
    MSI 4G gtx970 1506/8000
    As a 970 user with a nice OC, i'd consider this a sidegrade.

But if you are unhappy with the 390, I doubt going to a 480 would be wise. Saw benches for quantum brake, and a 970 beats a 480 in the steam version, so a 390 is probably there too. If you are desparate for an upgrade, go for the 1060 to try the other vendor, otherwise it's not a wise move. to get the most value of a best buy range cards like the 390/970, you should upgrade every 2 GPU cycles or you lose out on its value per dollar.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016

5. flow

flow Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080 oc
    Right. 480x wouldn't be wise to do.
    As for problems and not, I really never had a real issue with amd cards. Then again, you can have 2 identical systems where one of them could have a problem with a driver, whilst the other does not.

The 1070 obviously beats the 390, so that would definitely be an upgrade.
    In case op can't get a new 390, the 480x would be his only amd option.
    In that case I would recommend to save some more for a 1070 and experience a real upgrade.
    The 480 cards are nice if you come from 79xx cards.

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8

this^....But the 10xx looks like a nice jump from the 9xx series in my budget range...the 1060 kicks my 960's butt! and thats gonna be my next card.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    960 -> 1060 is great

but

390 -> 480, 1060 is SHAMEFUR AND UNACCEPTABRE

1070 or wait...

8. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Bugged code is not individual, but objective. If you don't experience the bugged code, it doesn't fix it.

Btw: The corruption I experience in FF with GTX 1070 is really starting to annoy me. Just in case you suspect me of bashing AMD...

9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I would have agree with most people here.

In fact, I was in a similar situation, and decided to order an R9 290x instead of an RX 480 or GTX 1060 after seeing that the 290/390 series are outperforming both of them in most recent gaming benchmarks posted on this site.

Although the 290/390 series does of course consume more power, the overall cost for me was less than an RX 480 4GB, and I got a two year warranty.