GTX 1070 on my Hardware

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by freeman94, Apr 29, 2017.

1. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Hello.
    1. I'm just curious if the GTX 1070 will performance good on my hardware.
    I have 16GB of Ram + the Intel Core i5 3570 (non K) Stock 3.40Mhz with is bad lack, as when I bought it I tought (mehhh, non worthit its just the letter with:bang:)
    Now after 4 years this choice is wrong, and I could use some 4.3/4.5Ghz
    But will the Stock 3.40Ghz performe good with the GTX 1070? No performace decreasy? I play on 2K Ultrawide Monitor.

2. Does the HDR work good on NVIDIA Pascal? (eg.Games such as Hitman, and the lovly cutie Lara?)
    3. Will the AMD's Freesync 75Hz setting in Monitor work on non-freesync NVIDIA Pascal?
    My monitor is 60Hz Native (capable of 75Hz, and advertised as such with AMD Freesync enable in Monitor setting)
    I know for sure that the adaptive sync of Freesync won't work as its not supported on NVIDIA but the 75Hz that shows up after setting it up Monitor is avaible on my current non freesync gpu (HD7870), and possible it could be settable on nvidia. (Only the 75Hz worth, screw the Freesync, adaptive etc)

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    75hz will work on the 1070 with your monitor.

80hz worked for me when I had my gtx 970 sli. Just no freesync with them on my freesync.

Cant comment on HDR with pascal.

In most games honestly, the 3570 can keep up enough to feed the 1070. If anything cap fps @ 75 or use vsync so that cpu does not have to be stressed as hard to feed the 1070 the maximum FPS in can reach.

Does your board let you lock the boost clocks?
    I had a i5 4460 @ 3.2 that I was able to lock @ 3.4ghz boost at all times.

Your cpu does 3.8ghz but I dont know if that is on all 4 cores boost.
    IMHO, if you are worried about your cpu feeding the 1070, I would just get a RX 480 and be done. That would be a much more balanced setup. You would still have freesync, and your monitor can do 80hz with CRU method. Its easy to setup 30-80hz freesync range.

The RX 480 is easily 2x the performance of the 7870, plus 8GB vram in most models.

The 1070 would be the better gpu ofcourse, but it will be starved in games like BF1 online and Watch Dogs 1 or 2, especially @ 2560x1080. Its only 10% fps lost vs 1920x1080 and isnt that demanding at all for newer gpus.

3. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    @Agonist
    Thanks for info about Hz capabilty, I suppose you have Freesync monitor and you test it, so that is one curiousity solved, when it comes to HDR I just ready a few articles and there is 4 requirments:
    *Supported graphic card with is NVIDIA Maxwell or Pascal (GTX 900/1000) or AMD's R9 300/RX 400/RX 500)
    *Capable HDR Display
    *Compatible Game eg. Hitman/ROTTR
    *Windows 10 but must be with newest Creators Update as with it comes the official HDR support by microsoft.

@Geryboy
    About the CPU, I can't do much on my H77 Chipset OC only by the BLCK up to 5% with gives me takes boost clock to 4.0 but its unstable, I see decrease in performance, especially the lowest fps is worse, the max is the same and avg doesn't change a lot, tested on some of the games as The Division,BF1,ROTTR and the new Hitman, benchamrk increase points tho, but who cares benchmarks, real world scenerio sucks so I left it as it is.
    3.8Ghz with is my Turbo Clock is for all 4 Cores with is fine, the Clocks fluctuate from 1.6 up to 3.6 and when gaming jumping from 3.6 to 3.8, can I just force it to stay stock 3.8 in Windows? I don't care much of heat, as I have good airflow in case + aftermarket cooler, power consumption is still aceptable as ivy brige is not so power intensive right? so maybe if it stays on blocked 3.8Ghz it will perform better as there won't be any fraquancy fluctuation?
    Sorry for my ****ty english

4. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    My goal is to use 75Hz on my monitor and buy the GTX 1070 as the performance of this card is what drives me, and if my cpu can still keep up after this card then its good, but I know the next thing to change after the gpu would be cpu but probably in year 2018.
    I thinked about change the computer base, but changing the oldie HD7870 is more important then my ivy core i5 with still is solid unit right?
    + the current system ram + newer motherboard with good chipsets are sick prices and they don't look like dropping soon (Especially memory)
    But thats for other topic in the future...

So to summary its good to buy the GTX 1070 to my hardware?
    BTW.
    Rummors says that Vega 11 with may be the slower vega chip will match the GTX 1070 but thats rummors and I don't like rummors, and like to keep in facts, and facts doesn't say anything about it from AMD.

5. mahanddeem

mahanddeem Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX1080Ti StrX
    You might find used 3770K for dirt cheap these days.
    Buy 1, good cooling and if you're lucky with it you can overclock to 4.6GHz or 4.7GHz (especially if you delid it).
    Edit: I'm not sure if you can oc with H77, never used other than z chipsets. You seem to have made too many bad pc decisions back in the day.

6. freeman94

freeman94 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 ARMOR
    Thanks for your help and advices, Gurus always ready to help :)