How I can use AHCI?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by EspHack, Mar 24, 2010.

1. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I've see the new intel driver for RAID speeds and I wanna test it but my pc is running in IDE/ATA mode and when I set it to AHCI mode the SO(seven 7600) stop working.. no starting screen... only reset and show the "bad shutting down pc" but with 2 options "start windows normally and fix problems":bang:

plssss help meee

ahh... other problem... in my last pc(intel DG35EC) I have 2GB DDR2 800MHz stick and other 2GB DDR2 stick but only at 667MHz when I use the 2 sticks at the time the pc doesn't start... all fans leds and systems running but the screen black... the 2 on the same channel and separate doesn't work:bang:

2. ibitato

ibitato Guest

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=313676

BTW, AHCI its one mode, RAID it's a complete different mode. If you want raid, raid mode, if you want AHCI, AHCI mode, you cannot use both at the same time

mixing ram sticks with different specs :
    you need to manually set the 800Mhz stick to the 667 specs on the mobo, or overclock the 667 to the 800 specs.

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ok thanks the ram is working now :D thankssss
    and the AHCI mode is optional... the intel driver says I need AHCI or RAID mode and I have AHCI how I can use it?

4. smnoamls

smnoamls Maha Guru

GPU:
    6950 2gb Dirt3 @6970 bios
    Which OS are we talking about?
    And why do you want to test AHCI? Its not performance miracle.

5. ibitato

ibitato Guest

He's on W7 i think

as for the AHCI stuff.

If you want AHCI follow the instructions from the link.

If you want RAID, you need to enable RAID support on the mobo and configure a RAID.

You won't be able to use your current hard disk (s) under RAID since you need to fully destroy all info and build a RAID using at least 2 drives.

Like smnoamls suggest, please post exactly want you're trying to do, since it's hard to help qith little info

6. maleficarus™

maleficarus™ Banned

GPU:
    ASUS GTX460 800/1600/4000
    That is a misleading thread as it deals with SSD drives. You shouldn't link anyone there. Most don't even have an SSD drive. Yes, its the same for HDD but all this does is make more questions then answers.

To enable AHCI you need to have the AHCI driver installed and then change it to that mode in BIOS. Win7 supports AHCI out of the box. Vista needs it to be installed as well as XP. Best way to for XP is to make an ISO XP bootable disc with the AHCI driver intergrated into the ISO. No floppy hassle or anything like that. AHCI enables NCQ if your hard drive supports this feature. NCQ from my experience helps windows with mundane tasks quite a bit actually. Boot times are faster as well.

Hope this helps...

7. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    Vista does support AHCI out of the box. If it is disabled for some reason (might be if user installed Windows in non-AHCI mode), it's easy to enable it via registry before activating it in BIOS. If you don't do that booting will fail. Same thing for Windows 7.

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    ok... what registry i need to change? :S the boot fail... that is the problem when i enable AHCI mode

9. ibitato

ibitato Guest

it's on my firts post.

also ,

it works on vista as well

10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    nice... and... how I can revert that if cause problems?

11. ibitato

ibitato Guest

back to ide
    boot in safe mode
    revert registry changes
    don't drink while you do all of this

12. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    omg thanks!!!! 5seg booting!! thanks you!! =)

13. ibitato

ibitato Guest

no prob stay frosty

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA

I removed the link. The next time you rip my txt please at the very least source it.