Steam is monetizing mods. Yes, you read that right.

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Seketh, Apr 24, 2015.

1. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    qoute

2. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    My personal thoughts are that one of the main reasons that Source engine 2.0 is free is because of these paid mods.

First off any game created on the engine the automatically get a 30% cut because it has to be sold on Steam.

Second any mods created on the source engine means that valve can potentially take 75% of the profits on that as well.

Really quit sneaky.

Valves rep has been seriously harmed by this situation, they will need to do some serious ass kissing if they want to get into the good graces of PC gamers.

Valve showed their true colours over the past few days. These are some of the things they pulled.

*Banned from store if you got a refund on the mod.
    *Banned for voicing your dislike of this paid mod fiasco.
    *Awful AMA that dodged the real issues.
    *Anyone who actually agreed to sell stuff on the workshop no longer owns their own work.
    *Complete and utterly greedy profit split.

3. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    They won't. Not unless the profit share is fair. They've learned a lesson. They pull this crap again, there'll be backlash.

4. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I'm just amazed at how fast this blew up and then was pulled..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015

5. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Skyrim currently has 25 million copies sold on Steam, alot of those are most likely due to free mods. Even that group of people alone is a large amount of people to piss off.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
  7. Elder III

Elder III Guest

GPU:
    6900 XT Nitro+ 16GB
    Good. I'm glad they backed off on this. I'm fine with a donation button; something the Nexus already has. I've been getting mods of the Nexus for over a decade and I'm not going to stop irregardless of this (failed) stunt by Valve/Bethesda.

8. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    Holy crap.. Just got back from work... WE WON SOMETHING??? Holy crap...

9. Feed_Bucket

Feed_Bucket Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
  10. styckx

styckx Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti XC Ultra
    No matter how quickly and "transparent" Valve backed off and removed paid mods from Skyrim.. The damage is done... No one will look at Valve and "The Gaben" the same again after this. His little cult following is over.. For years they've been getting people to raise an eyebrow at their true intentions by the little things they kept adding and doing to make more $$$.. This though was Valve going full EA/Ubisoft. I know from now on I'll be prioritizing GOG before Steam for any game purchase I want..

11. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    What they SHOULD have done was start a community licensing program for Source 2. Give out free access to the engine tools to make content, then allow publishing to the Steam store/workshop and give the creators a cut of the sales. Then at least the split would have been understandable. Everyone wins in that situation, because source is pretty easy to develop on and backwards compatible. If you're going to start something like this, you have to do it the right way.

12. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I hope GOG Galaxy takes off that's for sure....

There is just no competition for Steam.

Other than EA's Origin which is pretty much EA games, and Ubisoft's Uplay which can honestly go and **** itself with an elongated rusty piece of metal... Steam has no Real Competition.

If I buy a game outside of Steam, Be at Amazon, eBay... or from an actually store like EB Games... I'm receiving a product key to activate on Steam, with the disc containing old data that needs updating via Steam.

This whole Paid Modding saga has left a very bitter taste.

13. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    You're sadly mistaken if you think this will change people views about Valve. Sheep will be sheep.

14. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    It is suprising just how fast they backpedaled, we have seen EA weather far worse blow back before :p.

nm that bethesda had to give up its 75% take and agree to it.

of course they did have the hindsite of horse armor and how the community felt about that and took a moment to think that through on this whole venture...

gglad they caved on this i was waiting for nexus to implode if this crap took off.

15. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    So whatever happened to the mods which started charging? I searched for wet & cold and the gifts of akawhatever and they were removed. Strange thing is, during the time there were paid mods, my subscriptions were reset. Now they're back. Weird.

Yeah I hope GoG takes off with the release of Witcher 3. They need more eyeballs.

16. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I only own it because it was on sale for £2.50 or something, I never play it though lol

17. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    I dont know if I am the only one that think this mess was begin from Bethesda.
    They want 75% from mod price isnt?

"Update from Bethesda: After discussion with Valve, and listening to our community, paid mods are being removed from Steam Workshop. Even though we had the best intentions, the feedback has been clear – this is not a feature you want. Your support means everything to us, and we hear you."

So Valve was just a "reseller",not behind the idea of paying mods.IMHO.

http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/27/why-were-trying-paid-skyrim-mods-on-steam/

18. chuuey

chuuey Guest

19. KopyKat007

KopyKat007 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 960 SC
    Hah, it was Xbox One trying to first make used games unplayable that shut this down, and the PC people of course came through for mods lol. Nice!

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I'm genuinely shocked Valve didn't see this coming, while there were some positives for charging for mods, there were a lot more negatives.
    It's good they backtracked but the lack of foresight is worrying.

I saw someone mentioning removal of previously paid mods, can't imagine the modders will continue with the work for free, and do you think Valve/Beth took the hit or did the modders also have to return money.