Replacing a trusty Nokia N86

Discussion in 'Tablets and Smart Phones' started by Miller, May 9, 2013.

1. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Hey folks,

My dad's N86 is finally about to give up the ghost and it's time to look for a replacement. I've not kept too up to date with phone releases for some time and although I've offered to help him find something suitable I don't seem to be having much luck.

He has no interest in a touch screen (so keys are a must) and no real need for apps. The must-haves are decent signal (he works in an area of poor signal; Nokias seem to get signal there but many others don't) and a passable camera. The camera doesn't need to be top of the line by any means but it needs to be usable. Even my fixed-focus Nokia E5 takes better pictures than a number of smartphones I've seen. The slider-style of the N86 is perfect for dad as it means he doesn't have to worry about manually locking the keypad after a call (he works outside and that tends to mean using gloves for a few months of the year). On that logic a sliding design would certainly appeal if possible.

Does anyone happen to have any suggestions? It would really be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    Does anyone have any experience of the Nokia Asha 300? Does it take passable pictures?

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Budget?

4. Miller

Miller Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 660ti Signature FTW
    There isn't really one to be honest. I mean, we're not going to pay out hundreds and hundreds of pounds for a non-smartphone handset but we're not working to a set budget as such :)

5. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
  6. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    What about Blackberry's handsets? They don't make many sliders afaik but they have physical buttons and great reception. Their older handsets are inexpensive too .. not Asha inexpensive but still.

7. deltatux

deltatux Guest

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I would go for a Blackberry Curve 9360 or something like that...

Personally I can't stand keys, but to each their own.

deltatux