review: Radeon HD 4850 and 4870 CrossfireX performance test

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Guru3D News, Jul 3, 2008.

1. pysik

pysik Guest

GPU:
    MSI Geforce 460 OC 1Gb
    wow the 4800 from amd is seriously kicking some major ass, its amazing. i need to get off agp soon

2. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hopefully I won't have the same problem with my 4870 in CF :(

3. damien666

damien666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    gtx580 EK H2O @36'c load
    wow great review just read it all and im very happy that ati have overcome nvidia LOTS lol

so i will be making the jump soon and i cant decided if its worth waiting for the 4870x2, it is out htis month right

4. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Wow, Nvidia is taking it right in the pooper and it's wonderful! Two 4870's in CF lower the boom on the 280 in almost every benchmark and still cost less. Gotta love it!

Let the price/technology wars resume!

5. IriSh`

IriSh` Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire x1950 256MB
  6. putty

putty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF 4090
    loving ATI

7. Elooder

Elooder New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9800GX2, 2x512Mb
    Nice...

Nice review. Too bad there's no SLI comparison as 2 GTX280's would most likely kick a** of any dual crossfire setup... but at what cost? :)

The really funny thing is that noone ever seems to notice that Hilbert is pretty fond of saying "Bare in mind" and never misses the opportunity to misspell it...
    It should be "Bear in mind" :)
    Nevertheless, I love the reviews. Keep up the good work! :)

8. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    I thought it was "bare" as well. Seeing as "bare" is a verb(?), where as "bear" is a noun.

I wasn't sure myself, so that's the logic I used to come to my conclusion :D

9. Elooder

Elooder New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9800GX2, 2x512Mb
    "Bear" can also be a verb (as well as an animal :) ). To bear something means to carry something. For an analogy, think (for example) of the Lord of the rings. Why was Frodo called the "Ringbearer"? "The bearer of the ring", i.e. the one who "bears" the ring.
    Therefore, the expression "to bear in mind" means "to keep in mind" or "to carry in mind".

The again, I'm no scholar AND a serbian (english is not my native language)... I could be wrong... :)

P.S.
    I hope you don't think me picky. It just kind of "stops" me when I come over it... as well as any other spelling or similar mistakes... AND I think such great reviews deserve to be utterly grammatically and otherwise correct :)
    If you want me to, I could look for other similar mistakes and report whenever I come across them. It's great fun and very interesting reading the reviews, so I thought I might as well help out, if u need it... :)

Oh, and sorry if this is way off-topic...

Last edited: Jul 6, 2008
  10. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Matrix 285
    Yep, you're totally right. Although you did not need to teach me like I was a 10 year old :p TBH, I never gave it much notice.

Oh well; every day is a school day!

11. Elooder

Elooder New Member

GPU:
    nVidia 9800GX2, 2x512Mb
    Actually, it wasn't written as it was with the intention to patronize or anything :) It is intended to make it easier for both native and non-native English speakers to fully understand it. Believe it or not, I know some native speakers who whouldn't know the difference :)
    Then again, "to bare" one's mind is also a nice way of saying "open your mind" (©Total Recall) :) since "to bare" means to "strip" or "expose", among other things... :)

12. proFits

proFits Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I cancelled the order for the two 4870 I ordered since they weren't in stock
    I'll get one of those 4870 x2 instead, hopefully the price/performance will beat 2 4870 by a lot

13. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Yea, I'm hoping they will be around $400 and the 15% faster then 2 4870's is true. If that's the case im buying dos!

14. weston

weston Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275
    if the 4870 is $300, the 4870X2 will more likely be $550-600 than $400. Still a lot better performance than the GTX280 for a similar price.

15. keldererik

keldererik Active Member

GPU:
    2x 3870X2 1GB Crossfire X
    How to make crossfire work in crysis! Read this if you have not tried:

Go in crysis, start up your level / map , now go in the console ~

Type: con_restricted 0 <enter>
    Type: r_multigpu 1 <enter>

Now the multi gpu renderer should kick in after a minut and you must see the fps counter go up quite a bit. :)

This is the way to do it. It worked for my 3870X2's in 4-way crossfire.

How I tested this....
    1680x1050 very high dx10;
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Disable 3 GPU's (disable catalyst AI.

1 GPU = 15FPS

Disable crossfireX and enable catalyst AI

2 GPU's = 22FPS

Enable Catalyst AI and Crossfire X

4 GPU's = 38FPS (+ 'r_multigpu 1' in console)

I've messured FPS on a single savepoint everytime. (results may be different on different places in the game ofcourse).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Oooh .. if you are right this could solve my Crysis Crossfire issues. Let me check :)

Update: hmm, the difference is too small to tell with 2x 4850.

Grrr.

17. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I know you don't know what going on in GRID at 2560x1600 but you think it has something to do with the 4870 card? I noticed that the two setups that had the odd frame rates both had just one 4870 in them.

18. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    ok help me out here:
    on the LEFT is What i HAVE and on the RIght is what i am thinking of....
    take a close look to Everything, especially textures fillrate etc, will be a GOOD idea to chage my current 8800GT fro the 4850???? :confused:Money its not a problem caue i can use warrant from 8800gt and excheing it for the 4850 for no money at all...

[​IMG]

19. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That remains a difficult choice. Hardly really worth the effort IMHO. But hey .. compare a little in the VGA Charts, maybe that helps you in your decision.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/vga_charts/

20. johnnyxp64nd

johnnyxp64nd Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 TOXIC 512mb
    sorry but the charts are not updated with an 8800gt oc neither 4850 :_(

the HUGE negative in GF now its that i have patented its fan from 12v to 7 and make it silent cause this thermaltake fan sounds like JET, thats why i can use the warranty :)

on the other hand in my very good airflow case, the 4850 can do miracles in temps and be silent :) right?

damn i have to make my mind untill tommorow, so i hear everyones opinion....