Overclocking with MSI Afterburner (At Users Risk)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Renegade8100, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    This is not a MSI Afterburner section. Please visit http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55 if you have any future questions. Most of us will be happy to assist and you may even have support from the actual Author of MSI Afterburner. He gets spammed with dumb questions daily in his PM box so please post all questions as a thread or a post in a relevant pre-existing thread.

The information provided here has been confirmed accurate by the author of MSI Afterburner - Unwinder.

Download MSI Afterburner

http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/msi_afterburner_beta_download.html

To enable the unofficial overclocking in this version it is necessary to edit the MSIAfterburner.cfg file located in the installation directory of AfterBurner (typically Program Files (x86) MSI Afterburner):

You need to alter the following:

Seek UnofficialOverclockingEULA field and add following text:
    I confirm that I am aware of unofficial overclocking limitations and fully understand that MSI will not provide me any support on it
    Set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 1 to keep PowerPlay active (may not work on old ASICs), 2 to traditionally disable PowerPlay or to 0 to temporary disable unofficial overclocking path

Using the unofficial overclock method opens up more freedom in terms of voltages and clock ranges, it however also can open a can of worms in terms of stability or weird issues.

Unofficial means unsupported -- we grant some extra tweak options to fool around with, but in no way, manner or fashion is it supported by Guru3D.com or MSI.

So asking questions about it in the forums .. is a no-go. Regardless, have fun with this feature and be careful to not push the card over its limitations.

Here is the Basic lock bypass for MSI afterburner:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This has only been confirmed to work with reference cards with no new or exciting non-reference voltage management with exception to MSI custom PCB's. If you have a card that this has worked with and it is non-reference. Please post the card here.

I hope this resolves most of the "I cant overclock or overvolt" threads. Feel free to link this post.

Disabling ULPS for crossfire

Here is how to do it:

Go to registry and disable Ulps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 or 0003 keys.

If this doesnt work, post it in the forum and I will adjust it.

[​IMG]

Q: How can you tell externally if your videocard is reference?
    A: By viewing the fan placement on the heatsink.

Example Reference heatsink:
    [​IMG]

Example revision:
    [​IMG]

Example 3rd revision with pci express 2.1
    [​IMG]

Supported video card list deleted as it is too tedious to keep up.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  2. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Thanks for posting that.I didnt know i should enable
    UnlockVoltageControl = 1
    UnlockVoltageMonitoring = 1

even with 0 i could raise voltage.

I have 2 questions:
    What is AUX voltage?(new AB feature)
    And what are safe limits?
    Thanx

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  3. illdrag0n

illdrag0n Guest

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RX6800 XT
    Pretty sure my cards are duds. Even at 775/1100 i get instant BSOD on stress testing, and thats with your exact configuration.

hmm, ATI overdrive works ok at 775/1125

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  4. hallryu

hallryu Don Altobello

GPU:
    2x HD7970
    I get the same issue with my His cards. Its ULPS causing the issues, or so I've been told. It's a bios flash apparently if you want to overclock higher.

5. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    I made this post because so many people dont even try this. it works for reference cards only from what i understand. ULPS is only an issue for crossfire I believe

6. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    Not had any issues with ULPS since about 10.3 so always leave it on now. Before I used to disable it as it would sometimes cause the dreaded GSOD.

7. ScaryClown

ScaryClown Guest

GPU:
    3090 Zotac
    Turning on those settings enabled me to OC higher and retain Powerplay :D

Last edited: Aug 20, 2010
  8. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Awesome man, glad to hear this helped.

9. demowhc

demowhc Member Guru

GPU:
    3*HD5850 Tri-CFX 850/1150
    You dont need to flash the bios, just disable ULPS in the registry.

If you want to keep ULPS though, then yes you need to flash the BIOS.

10. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    @Renegade8100 good work dude, Unwinder gets a hard time from folk of the experienced to the non experienced ilk, however its great to free up his time so others can help sort stuff out and he can concentrate on the important things.

I think Unwinders work is undervalued in peoples experiences as they just seem negative on their own issues without realising the whole picture, and thats that Unwinder + MSI have provided an absolutely fantastic tool to help us all overclock easily( and were not even using MSI cards, so kudos to them too for allowing Afterburner to be used on non MSI cards )

Gotta say it, thanks Unwinder + MSI, you dont get enough credit, and credit where credit is due

11. mitzi76

mitzi76 Guest

GPU:
    MSI 970 (Gaming)
    Yeah good skills renegade. Took me awhile to figure this out. Older drivers for me and xfire I find i always need to turn off ulps to get both cards to downclock in 2d mode.

Very helpfull this thread :)

12. AbjectBlitz

AbjectBlitz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    R390 1200/1720
    So you guys manage higher overclocks with ULPS disabled? I thought the only problems with it on idle when the card tried to downclock.

13. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    No.... this make months i tell to peoples to disable it... after build my CFX setup, i was just not able to OC with MSI afterburner, when i was click "Apply" ( on MSIA ), the pc was freeze ..... Thanks to Eva2000 for bring me the solution as he get same thing with 5970 ....

UPLS disable the second card when you are in 2D mode.. this can cause a lot trouble when you "apply" higher voltage, different clocks on a card who is completely disabled ....

UPLS is a good thing for stock cards, it's decrease the consumption of the system in idle, but when you OC, it give trouble**** ( and in many different ways)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  14. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    290 x2, Saphire reference
    @Renegade, good job. Now maybe add an RBE guide for people to do this on their own Bios.

+1 for a stickie

15. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thanks man, appreciate the kudos. I took you up on that RBE. I researched the bejesus out of it, flashed my video bios a few.. dozen times and it was determined that even if you flash your bios, ati drivers lock down fan profiles to pre-determined stock.

Example: you set slope for fan at 50% at 15c, you can hear the fan spin up to speed until windows boots and drivers take over. The fan slope is replaced with stock. I will look into this more.

If anyone is interested in my bios http://www.megaupload.com/?d=80PTURCH THIS IS REFERENCE ONLY it is xfx 5850be modded to 800/1150 with a 26%/46c to 100%/89c slope. When not being harrassed by ati drivers, it runs roughly 73-74c peak in a 26c room ambient room temp.

16. kevin

kevin Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980TI gaming 6G
    Where do u turn Ulps of then??
    sorry if its a silly question.

17. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    @Renegade, yes it's a sticky :)

@Kevin it's in the OP:

Go to registry and disable Ulps:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Cl ass\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]

and change "EnableUlps" to 0 under the 0000 and 0001 or 0003 keys.

18. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Thanks for the kudos. I recently moved but while moving I spoke with the maker of catalyst modified build and there is no practical way to get around ati drivers for bios level fan control. It really makes flashing the card almost a waste of time.

19. Atlas

Atlas Maha Guru

GPU:
    So, Ati will have full control over your fan settings trough drivers only? Seems dangerous, look at Nvidia drivers going wild over fan speed policies. The only other thing RBE is good for is voltage and gpu speed settings or so it seems.

Thanks to Unwinder then for a [insert many thanks] good tool :)

20. Renegade8100

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    Indeed. The drivers have a default fan profile for all supported 5x00 cards. The switch actually came recently as 4x00 and below are unaffected. I find bios flashing at this time to be retarded unless you use linux. It was cool that I could set CCC clocks to anything I wanted along with voltages I guess but meh if the basic fan profiles cant handle the heat alone without a 3rd party.