Perhaps time to make 64bit Afterburner?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by go4life, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go4life

go4life Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    Hello!

Now that more and more games will be 64bit native, it is perhaps time that Msi Afterburner get the proper support for it. Like the upcoming Battlefield 4 and Star Citizen.

Almost everyone is using 64bit native operating system now, and more games and applications are made with 64bit in mind now.

Are there any plans to make a 64bit Afterburner anytime soon?

Regards

EDIT: It has come to my understanding that Unwinder does not consider this a priority now, and that it will come when needed.

In the meanwhile, thank you Unwinder for your great work and I hope to see more from you.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    BF4 is not 64bit only and the few games that are 64bit only do not justify the developers time and effort to modify the entire app.

3. go4life

go4life Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    But clearly there will be no doubt that all games will run 64bit in the coming years? It's not like it's a waste of time, but more like ready for the future.

4. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Unwinder already said he'll consider 64bit support but not until it's necessary.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
  6. go4life

go4life Guest

GPU:
    2x MSI GTX 780 Lightning
    Alright, thanks guys. Hope we get support for it in the coming years. Afterburner is one of my favorite tools, and use it all the time. Unwinder truly has made a good product there.
    Been supporting his stuff since the early Rivatuner days.

Cheers everyone

7. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    It's such an aweasome tool that it was even hacked to allow more voltage.

As long as we can monitorize in the background i don't see how it is so important to have 64bits implemented on the screen.

8. Mac.Sniper_E.

Mac.Sniper_E. Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX670-dc2-2gd5 (OC)

Btw 128-bit CPU architecture is on his way...

9. dark_skeleton

dark_skeleton Guest

GPU:
    MSI GF GTX 570 TFIII /SLI
    So is USB8.0 (Most likely)

10. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So is SATA VI. lol

11. id0l

id0l Banned

GPU:
    Radeon 7870 GHz Ed. 2GB
    I think it's extremely short-sighted to wait until 64-bit games are "the majority of the market" before even thinking of adding support. "Next gen" is right around the corner and I fully expect most games/ports will be 64-bit. I think 64-bit support is the "feature" that should be being worked on, and not more video encoding tweaks, etc. As far as I'm aware, AB is used by the large majority of people for overclocking their video cards, and not for video encoding, so having hooking support (at least) for the majority of next-gen games should be taking priority.

So until 51% of games are 64-bit, are we just SOL trying to use AfterBurner for them?

We should just say "F it, I'll find an alternative?" That's not a good way to go about things. While I understand Unwinders hesitation to code the 64-bit capable version (sounds like some work - but isn't this what he's paid for?), I honestly believe sitting around and waiting for 64-bit games to become "the norm" is the wrong decision. People will have moved on to an app that actually supports 64-bit hooking by then (RadeonPro already does, and it added 64-bit support with a seperate monitoring process instead of re-writing it's whole codebase, btw...and it's toggle-able).

If RadeonPros overclocking features improve beyond what they currently are, I'll have no choice but to make a total switch to RP, even though I'd rather use AB as I've been using it since the early days of RivaTuner. I understand that AB is free and always has been since RivaTuner, but having end-users abandon using the app entirely simply due to not supporting part of their game library can't be what Unwinder/MSI have in mind when developing this program. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  12. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Seriously, sometimes I really wish to remove mod rights and say everything I think about guys who post such things without any censorship. No, I'm not paid for investing months of development time into coding anything every egoistic forum kid may want. All I get from this deal is 1 cent of royalties per MSI card sold with copy of AB and my contract definitively doesn't include endless development of new and new features per your requests. And ignoring that I still gladly invest a lot of my free time into improving the tool with new functionality to help people.
    So PLEASE just say "F it, I'll find an alternative?" and move on. I don't need such users here, reading your posts leave bad taste in mouth and kills any wish to give ANYTHING to community and slows down new features development for weeks/months.

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Dont be pissing off Undwinder here like the idiot at Evga Forums. which are still spreading fasle information about his work which seem to of leaked over on nvidia forums too

14. peanutplanters

peanutplanters Member

GPU:
    eVGA 780 SLI
    I cannot speak for others, but I appreciate all the development you've done on the application.

That being said, a 64-bit overlay would be a feature that many of us would find useful. With the addition of Battlefield4 leading the charge on 64bit applications, I'm almost sure that more games will follow suit.

I understand it would require lots of time and investment, and I don't expect your work to be done for free. I would be more than HAPPY to donate towards such a cause - as I'm sure other would. Perhaps a donation thread could be started for a large feature such as this where everyone pledges towards a goal.

15. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    I don't think that money is the issue for Unwinder, i think he needs time for other things like his private life for example.

I use Fraps to show the fps and MSI AB to monitorize in the background.

Oh, and bf4_x86.exe is in my folder so... XD

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013

16. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Both yes and no. No, money is not the issue because I'll never start collecting donations for 64-bit server development or anything else. It simply breaks my principles of software distribution, users should not pay anything for my tools. Ever. So users like id0l who try to compete AB with donationware products may GTFO.
    But yes, money is the issue when it comes to development time/cost. So I minimize costs and prioritize tasks from this point of view of course.
    Just to give better understanding to some users, simply take a look at the price of 64-bit Microsoft detours hooking API (MS Detours x64 is what is powering 64-bit support in NVIDIA ShadowPlay by the way). Of course It won't be _that_ expensive for me, because I'll develop my own engine anyway, but Microsoft's pricing at least allows you to understand that there is some fundamental work under the water.

17. peanutplanters

peanutplanters Member

GPU:
    eVGA 780 SLI
    So, as a consumer and fan of your software/product how can I voice what features I would like to see next? Money is the only thing that I can contribute, which directly shows how much I appreciate your time and investment.

If you won't accept donations for your hard work how else can we vote ? There shouldn't be any shame for letting some of us repay you for the investment you've made. And as another forum member said, it would be better to be pro-active about a x64 bit client now before everyone finds an alternative application. At that point it's too late and you've lost a chunk of your userbase who may never come back.

Just my 2 cents though.

18. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    Best bet would be to ask MSI, instead of Unwinder.
    If MSI want's to pay him to make 64 bit support, then he'll surely add it.

19. 7stars

7stars Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 Tri-x OC
    indeed it's time to go over... and MSI should do it anyhow
    or accept donations and go...
    I will be available to do a little donation if the initiative will be official :) if complete 64 bit support and no performance hit while monitoring. No prob

20. 3dPlayer

3dPlayer Banned

GPU:
    Have
    -fraps to monitorize fps on the display
    -msi ab to monitorize on the background
    -use bf4_x86.exe to have all of the above if this is why you need so much this feature on the display

Dev already said he needs time to do more important stuff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.