[test] my custon media player and ffdshow (upscaling editon to 1080p)

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by maur0, Jul 14, 2014.

1. maur0

maur0 Master Guru

GPU:
    point of view gtx 570 1gb
    hi all test my custon ffdshow pré-configured

this is a media player home cinema x64 version 1.7.6 and ffdshow x64 build 4531 edtion pré-configured by me to upscaling all videos to 1920x1080 and pré sharpness level 16 configured, to up quality of image and more color level and contrast level are pré-configured

resulted in the best quality of image in all videos 480p/720p all resolution are upscaling to 1080p

press F to fullscreen

enjoy and report results

after installed are videos files are automatically associated with the media player upscaling edition

ps: only work this version in x64 (64-bit) windows

Download

torrent

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/10545104/Media_Player_Home_Cinema_x64_v1.1_upscaling_edition_1080p_

http

http://www67.zippyshare.com/d/89217937/18/Media player upscaling edition 1.1 setup.exe

demonstration

original video 720p

[​IMG]

same scene with 1080p upscaling and more (contrast, color, and sharpness) pré-configured in this

[​IMG]

original dvd 720x400
    [​IMG]

upscaling 1080p
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  2. Tree Dude

Tree Dude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9 270X 2GB
    A couple things to keep in mind with "upscaling".

1. It is always happening somewhere. A 1080p TV has a 1080p panel in it. That is a static resolution. Either the TV is fed a lower resolution and the TV upscales it, or the PC/device is upscaling the source material before it hits the TV. The question is, which is better?

2. You cannot get detail where none exists. We may one day have a software solution to interpret the frames and add artificial detail to make the picture appear as though it is a higher resolution. But to my knowledge such a thing does not exist yet.

Your pics look no better than my simple HTPC (a mid-range C2D with an AMD 7400) with MPC-HC at default settings. A 720p video will scale very well to 1080p, most people can't even notice the difference. Your SD vid looks very soft, as to be expected and has quite a bit of micro-blocking, most likely from being over sharpened. I can see a slight difference in color between the 720p and 1080p, but it mostly just looks a tad brighter.

Cranking the sharpness is not going to give you a better picture I am afraid.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't think it's an attempt to make it look like true 1080p, just make things look "better" which is subjective.

Not a huge fan of upscaling myself, unless the source is clean it tends to have inconsistent results, but others prefer it so these guides are always helpful.

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Agreed pretty much here. I dont care for upscaling to much. I dont turn my eyefinity off when not gaming. All I care about is aspect ratio more then resolution. Unless your sitting that close, the difference between 720 and 1080 isnt all that much. I have very good eye sight and it doesnt bother me all that much.