NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Since he was just using the list of existing flags, I think we need to wait until the game is out and people narrow it down to what it actually needs.

0x000012C1 would probably work.

2. airshiraz

airshiraz Guest

GPU:
    gtx 970
    whats aa flag for halo spartan assault plz tanxxxx

3. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I'm sorry, but even with -1.0 is SGSSAA 4x still blurry.

4. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Ok, i can't force FFXIV Realm Reborn to use ANY of the AA settings from NVinspector, setting the flags for SGSSAA and stuff doesn't work at all, neither do 4xMSAA or any for that matter... Any idea what the hell?

[​IMG]

5. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    If you're playing in any type of windowed mode, then it won't work.

EDIT: You're also not supposed to be enabling Transparency Multisampling.

6. chuuey

chuuey Guest

Thanks, i'll check that out then :)

7. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
  8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Whatever works for you. I find SGSSAA perfect most times even without lod changes.

The "Blur" is about as much of a difference when people come from seeing inaccurately calibrated monitors/TVs with very Blue/Cool color temperature to seeing 6500k color temperature on a correctly calibrated one. (Which is ironically very "Cool" in the lightbulb world compared to the likes of the crazy yellows many bulbs have which skew towards very very warm)

9. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    A lot of PP effects depend on aliased buffers, like depth buffer based DOF or velocity buffer (whatever its called) based motion blur. Apply AA to those buffers and the effect gets messed up (in some cases the shader could be modified to work right with AA, but that's more work). Whereas if you don't apply the AA to those buffers then you end up with PP-introduced aliasing in spite of the native AA support. So adding SGSSAA support to an engine like Unreal is perhaps not completely straightforward - at least not if we want it done properly.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  10. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    --incorrect information removed--

Also (and this is out of the scope of this thread, but might as well mention it while I'm posting) using the game's built-in AF (MaxAnisotropy=16 in the INI) with all texture groups in DishonoredEngine.ini set to MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear (and Trilinear added) produces much better results than nvidia CP-forced AF on things like water, plants. So basically this:

Code:
    TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=2048,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=8,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,NumStreamedMips=0)
    Trilinear=True
    MaxAnisotropy=16

gives great AF. BTW the "NumStreamedMips=0" settings prevent texture pop-in but will require more VRAM. Leave them out if you have less than 1Gb.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014

11. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It does indeed work.

Dark Souls 2

Flag: 0x000012C1

No AA
    2xSGSSAA
    4xSGSSAA
    8xSGSSAA

12. SomeoneSimple

SomeoneSimple Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia TNT2
    Footnote:

To force SSAA and HBAO+ in Dark Souls 2 you'll need to use a 16:9 resolution.

So to use it on, for example, an 1680x1050 monitor, create a custom resolution of 1680x945 and select that ingame.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It depends on the game really and how they set it up.

I've seen SGSSAA work plenty fine with many UE3 games who have various subsampled buffers. Rarely is there case when it doesn't. And most times if the buffer doesn't get AA'd, then it remains the same as it was pre-SGSSAA.

And after first hand experience with UE4 now and it's Temporal AA, it's completely safe to say we need SGSSAA. Their temporal AA, with edge quality , it can be comparable to 4xSGSSAA at times, but it leaves behind a bunch of temporal aliasing still that SGSSAA could fix.

Not to mention, their temporal AA really is more blurry than SGSSAA is too on a bad day. [​IMG]

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

the 8 is for compatibility with 16:10 resolutions. Are you using a 16:9 resolution?

Some comparison pictures to prove it would be nice too. (Same with AF)

15. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    Yes, 16:9.

I'll take some shots.

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks. Would you mind editing the pictures (highest level jpgs or PNGs please) into your prior post so when I add it as a reference it's all in one?

17. Guy.J.

Guy.J. Guest

GPU:
    GTX 560
    Oops, my information is inaccurate apparently. 0x080000C1 currently has no fog glitch in Dishonored. I swear it did in some previous drivers which is why I've been using C1. Nevermind.

[I'm currently using 337.61]

ETA:
    AF difference is mainly visible on water, which makes like-for-like shots virtually impossible (I tried it). Difference is plainly visible in video, especially when slowly panning the camera which causes shimmering (not the good kind) reflections on the water in Dishonored. This shimmer is greatly reduced by the above tweaks and the overall IQ of reflections is better.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Hm. Thanks though. I'd love to see a possible comparison for the water. I know it doesn't have a place in the thread, but i'm always *Crazy* for tweaks with UE3 to reduce issues and improve quality.

I appreciate the texture tweaks for dishonored they also work for another game i'm tweaking/working on now for HBAO+. I save your post on my hard drive for reference too :p

19. Cure_We_us

Cure_We_us Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    Under Guild Wars 2 it says
    what are white outlines? I don't see that under the options.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Oh it basically means, that with AA forced/Enabled from nvidia inspector. It doesn't work totally 100% correct. Resulting in some artifacts that manifest in the form of white outlines around some objects.

This information may or may not be relevant anymore since the game is an MMO and those are frequently updated