Windows 8 #2

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by hallryu, Jan 31, 2013.

1. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    oh

hack hack hack

new theme....not by me of course...NO MORE FLAT UI...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Wish that screenshot contained different colors....that color scheme hurts my eyes....lol

3. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It makes me think of the Vista CG Crystal theme for Windows XP.. sort of..

4. slick3

slick3 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 +85/1200
    I hope I can get a quick answer! :-|

Hmmm is it worth it to upgrade to Windows 8 at this moment in time? My Windows is getting buggy as hell and was thinking on upgrading to Win8... Is it stable with decent driver support? :O

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I've yet to have any kind of issues, and have been running it since shortly after its release. I will say you probably should have upgraded earlier, when it was FAR cheaper... but i guess all in all the upgrade price now still isn't horrific.

6. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Possible the smoothest and most stable Windows OS at launch.. I've been using it since the day of it's release and it's pretty good, I like it more than Vista and 7.

If you know about the start screen, and like that also.. I'd recommend it to you.

7. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Whether or not it's worth the cost, all depends on your feelings in regards to "Metro"... If you like Metro...sure, it's worth the cost. If you hate "Metro"...then no. If you've got an extra harddrive free, I suggest giving the free 90-day trial a test spin first if you didn't test out the consumer preview before. A lot has changed since the developer preview.

If you're like me and rely on Bluetooth for anything, keep in mind that it may not play nice with your Bluetooth adapter. Mine won't allow any Bluetooth devices to initiate a connection after it's already synced...all connections have to be initiated by my computer.

8. Radical_53

Radical_53 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Maybe someone can help me with an issue I have here:

How do I change settings for the default Windows apps, the ones that come pre-installed already?

They're great as they are but as soon as you try to change something you hit a wall. Did I just miss the options screen anywhere or are they meant to be like that?

9. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    nmd found it o ups i forgot i cant delete here:puke2:

10. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Well depends on what is your current OS, if you like many others have windows 7 theres absolutely no reason whatsoever to "update" to windows 8.

If you run older windows like vista, xp or whatever i guess you could give it a try and if you dont like that childish GUI you could resort to third party apps, i know it sucks but what u gonna do.
    You should also check if any missing features of your windows are important, things like xp emulation, dvd player support and so on.

As for windows 8 beying stable, it depends on what you do with it, most things are reported beying stable while some arent.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013

11. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Still here I see....

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I found out the windows 8 installer has a safe mode if there was a problem entering normal installer.

I had problem on a computer where the harddisk wasn't formatted correctly or something and windows 7 installer was hanging at the welcome screen and then blue screened and rebooted.

I tried the windows 8 installer. it hanged but then popped up with message saying there was a hardware problem and wanted to know If I wanted to run it in safe mode. it loaded up and I was able to format the drive and reload the windows 7 setup and it completed.

13. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1

Yeah, I love how he continues to give his "advice" regarding Windows 8, yet he hasn't used it. A few minutes on a friends PC does not equal usage.

@slick3, if you are having issues with your current OS, upgrading to Windows 8 may or may not solve them. It depends on what kind of issues they are. As far as the stability of Windows 8, from my experience and those of my friends that are using it, I'd say it's every bit as stable as Windows 7, if not more so. As for drivers, for the most part the drivers have been pretty solid, although there are some devices that are having issues (like sykozis mentioned with Bluetooth) but that tends to happen with any new OS.

Bottom line, if you want to try something new (and quite different, referring to the Modern UI) I see very little risk in upgrading to Windows 8. It just comes down to what you like and what you are looking for.

14. Straykatt

Straykatt Guest

GPU:
    3090 FE
    Well, I installed windows 8 pro 64 yesterday. I'm liking it. I notice if you open anything in metro (app mode?) the only way you can close the apps you open is to grab it from the top of the border and drag it down?

How do you add a quick launch for Internet explorer on you desktop. The only options I can find is to pin it to start, and it won't let me drag it from the tool bar? How do you make the color of the windows boarder transparent like your tool bar?

Anyone notice the words and letters that windows 8 displays are all jagged? There not sharp like in vista. Is there anyway to smooth them out or is it the grafix driver?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  15. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    As said.... W**8 .... FOR BARBARIANs,......anyhow..... amazonians( more civilized).........

: IF YOU GOT THE CHANCE TO STAND ON THE MOON BUT DONT KNOW WHAT TO DO OUT THERE,,,,,,,,,....//////.....

then..... SIGN OUT from guru3d.com

:thumbup:

:bed:

Joking out there....

16. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    He's clearly got an OCD crusade to go on that he can't leave alone....

Its like Bill Gates killed his pet rabbit or something.

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I didn't think thread disruption was allowed....but he and the other win8haters managed to disrupt the last thread repeatedly for 60 pages.

18. Legendary_Agent

Legendary_Agent Guest

GPU:
    Asus HD7970 DirectCU II
    Well depends on what is your current OS, if you like many others have windows 7 theres absolutely no reason whatsoever to "update" to windows 8.

If you run older windows like vista, xp or whatever i guess you could give it a try and if you dont like that childish GUI you could resort to third party apps, i know it sucks but what u gonna do.
    You should also check if any missing features of your windows are important, things like xp emulation, dvd player support and so on.

As for windows 8 beying stable, it depends on what you do with it, most things are reported beying stable while some arent.

Random Ramblings:
    Totally disruptive from my part.

On a side note to whoever wants to know about if windows 8 is really a good decision to upgrade, since this is an OS, it is better for you to take that decision by answearing these questions yourself:

What is the benefit that i will gain from switching to this OS?
    What are the downsides that i will have from switching to this OS?
    What are the required features that i must have working in this OS?
    What other things interest me into this OS?
    Having answeared those generalized questions, is it worth my time and investment into switching to this OS?

Ofc then you can objectively dissasemble each general question and split it into several other questions that interest you.
    Asking windows 8 users if you should switch or not is as biased as asking a xbox360 user if ps3 sucks in comparison. (You might get a factual answear, but that is very rare as the majority will swear by their products because they like to think that they have made an excelent choice in buying the respective product and are very intelligent because of that.)
    The best is to answear all of those questions yourself regardless of the others opinion as they will not know for what you use or what you are interested in the new OS, they will simply say heck ya! its best OS in du wurld! not even considering what exactly you want the OS for in the first place.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  19. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Well, we have guys who are using the OS and are happy with it, and then there's you who for some reason can't let the thread go 5 posts without posting a repeat of any of the below:

"I don't like it...."

"I still don't like it...."

"Have I said I don't like it....."

"I haven't used it, but I don't like it, so you guys who use it daily and like it must be wrong...."

"Still haven't used it, but that's only because I don't like it..."

Ad nauseum.....

No-one is going to spell anything out to you, there's no need to.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Windows8 users are biased? LOL.... Have you read your own posts? You've insulted Windows8 users at every turn. You've supplied a completely biased view based on almost zero fact.... Hell, your latest post is even severely biased.

Hell, my post was the furthest thing from biased...
    Where exactly is the bias in that statement? I recommended that he give the Windows8 90-day enterprise trial a run before making a decision.... C'mon now...your BS is getting old.