Playstation Orbis? Rumors of the new Sony console have surfaced

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by DSparil, Mar 29, 2012.

1. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Sounds interesting, but I don't like some of the ideas Sony is throwing around regarding used games. Limiting a used purchase to a demo or not allowing it to work at all will kill small business, hurt the gaming industry and only benefit the big business. The chance to buy a great game from a couple years ago at $25 will be gone, and you will be forced to buy new or not at all. Lets hope that part doesn't materialize :)

http://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugged-in/rumor-next-playstation-coming-2013-200015017.html

2. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i actually hope they drop the PS name. they did with VIta which shocked me actually. Nothing like a fresh start to revitalize a brand.
    Why not Orbit or Orb instead of Orbis? but whatever...assuming they do call it anything but PS4.

Though what excites me most about new consoles is they usually push other things in games besides just graphics. like AI or physics which has been a bit stale in recent years.

as far as used game industry..its really not a corporations job to create other jobs or markets for other business's. Its not their responsibility to keep Gamestop alive for example. Its not like theres much market in a used Windows OS's or PC games either and doesn't effec thembut we'll see how it goes. If they do lock accounts, hopefully they will free them all up at the end of the consoles life cycle.

*edit: another article: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...tm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    By hurt the gaming industry you mean help, yes?

The only thing that helps the gaming industry, financially wise, is buying new copies, therefore, buying used copies hurts the gaming industry

i look forward to the day that there's not even the idea of "used"

Oh, and just because used may or may not be going away, how do you justify saying that you won't be able to get a couple year old game for 25$? for one, games have sales, for two, couple year old game for 25$ used would be an absolutely horrible price, and three, just because used would be gone does not mean retailers would be gone and therefore retailers will always lower their prices to get rid of inventory

and lastly, this is NOT in the correct forum

Huh?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    Nope, I mean hurt. Don't get all upset and up in arms there soldier, this is a forum where discussions can take place. If you mean wrong place on this forum, we'll agree to disagree but I don't work for Sony (obviously). Stopping sales of used games kills small business on main street. It empowers big business by doing so, allowing them to strictly control and regulate how we get games, when we get them and for what price. You don't see the big picture.

5. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    To lose the opportunity to trade games in would be tragic. I myself never buy used games, yet I do trade in allot.... If the ability to do that is lost, it will hurt more than small business but main stream purchases also in fear of "Your stuck with it", aka "Coaster" when your done with it....

I can go on and on about this, but ill just end it by saying if they do that, Sony or MS, they can both kiss my ass!!

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well 4096x2160 pixels sounds nice. i just wish the EU would do something about second hand games.
    looking forward to it anyways, enjoyed pretty much all playstations

7. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    "In terms of hard specs, Kotaku says the system will use either AMD's x64 CPU or perhaps AMD's Southern Islands GPU, the company's high-end chip. Graphics-wise, Orbis is said to be capable of resolutions up to 4096x2160, commonly called '4K' in TV manufacturer parlance (and one of the technological boosts shown off at this year's CES). It's also said to be able to play 3D games in full 1080p, a leap over the PS3's max 3D resolution of 720."

This right here makes me call bullocks on this. That's way too advanced for a machine coming a year from now to be at a reasonable price point. Sony learned from the ps3 that no one wants to pay $600 for a system at launch. High-end cpu and a gpu capable of resolutions even modest pc gamers aren't at?

Bullsh*T,.

8. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    1080p gaming so nice finally ;D

9. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    I don't really care if by small businesses gamestop is meant for example.
    If indie developers are meant well oke.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Sales by "small business" don't help the gaming industry in any way shape or form

it does absolutely nothing to funding the game development, which IS the game industry, it helps against it, and therefore is bad for the gaming industry

if you can't figure that out i don't know what to tell you

as to the wrong forum, yes, it was in the wrong forum, this has to do with a console, you put it in the PC gaming area, now it has been moved to the console area where it belongs

I'll only grant this as a possibility to used copies helping the business, problem is, you buy one game you traded 10 games for, you just made revenue be lost for 10 games so you could have 1, so in reality, it still hurts the gaming industry

if you end up being one of those people who don't ever buy games because you don't want it to be a coaster then too bad for you, as a whole, the gaming industry would thrive much more, so it really doesn't matter for the select few like you

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    On paper. MS and Sony both claimed that no game would be less than 720 on current systems and we see how well they stuck to that...

12. Sprecker

Sprecker Guest

GPU:
    Zotech 680 4g
    So the game industry is in need of help now? I was under the impression it was the biggest grossing entertainment industry on the planet and constantly growing. All this alongside a well established used market so...?
    They (The game industry) want to remove the used sales for pure profit reasons and nothing else. It's a sure fire way to improve the bottom line without any effort on their part. It's business 101 and nothing more. There is no reason to do it other than that. They see a saturated market, fore see a plateau in sales due to the recycling of ideas and are looking ofr a sure thing to increase sales.
    Removing used sales would not only hurt the economy (ignore the game industy thing as it's fine) but would be the equivolent of the farmers removing all the seeds from the vegetables so no one could grow vegetables from grocery store bought produce themselves. Oh wait.....

13. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    ugh, I just noticed you do live in America. I was hoping that kind of mentality was overseas, perhaps in Antartica. :puke2:

I understand what you're saying completely, but will never agree with it. Part of what keeps gamers gaming is the availability of a free market system (cough: America), in which games can be purchased, rented, traded, bought used, sold used and enjoyed via any method. If you take that away, not only are you removing that freedom, you're forcing people to do what Sony, Nintendo, and Microsoft want them to do, when they want them to do it. If you want to live in a world like that, good luck because I sure as hell don't.

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Okay people don't go blaming Sony on the game trade deal. Microsoft is trying to stop it also, hell the whole gaming industry is.

SO just before this gets out of hand and a misunderstanding by flaming Sony for something the WHOLE industry is doing....lets all relax and take chill pills.

I can honestly understand both view points on this. It really does hurt the industries game sales, while trying to ban used games would take jobs away from possibly thousands maybe hundreds of thousands of people.

15. LinkDrive

LinkDrive Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Toaster
    Seriously...Tekken 5 kills my eyes o_O

16. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i rent games often, rare i by used (since their overpriced most of the time) but i wouldn't cry like a little * over it if i couldn't do either. I'd just buy if i could and not if i couldn't and leave it at that. complaining about rumors never helps.

Plenty paid both $500 and $600 for Xbox and PS3 at launch. Enough to sustain the system to future growth obviously. 1 million PS3's sold within first 6 weeks.
    81,639 PS3 systems were sold in the 24-hours of its introduction in Japan.
    Both Sony and MS make money from many, many different areas and the brand recognition they get from a console in people's homes is one of their most important, even if they don't sell well initially.

Historically, it was fairly common to see initial console games meet or exceed computer graphics, though this is mostly due to the fact that developers can fine tune games for specific hardware and are encouraged to show off what it can do graphically for marketing purposes. PC's has no such incentive or license agreements to adhere to. graphic show off's are driven purely from whatever the developer feels like investing. From Neo Geo, Dreamcast to PS2, consoles typically refuel development stagnation like were seeing now multi plat games having little to no difference except better resolution, AA and occasional mild DX11 effects for its PC counterparts.

Plus Sony would likely get far better bulk prices than what your getting from all your PC parts. So for Sony to release an Ultra HD capable system for $600, possibly at hardware loss, is not unreasonable to rumour. IF so, likely 4k would mostly be scaled for most games.

17. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    Next lets take away the right to trade your vehicles in too. and while we are at it, remove the right to sell anything used on Ebay, etc..... Although I respect your view on this, I completely disagree.

18. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    ...since when did you buy a game? You only purchase a license to use it.

Seriously, read an EULA sometime; you don't OWN the game, so you technically don't have any legal right to re-sell the game, since licenses tend to be non-transferable.

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's too far ahead of the rumored specs of the 720. There won't be such A BIG gap between systems. Either 720's specs are wrong or these are and I'm leaning toward these.

20. The Chubu

The Chubu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX560 TwinFrozrII OC
    It is. But for publishers (and developers, after all, the GDC named a "great victory against used games market" and everyone applauded) selling between 20% to 100% more each consecutive year (for 20 years) means that the industry is being killed (as in drowning in money apparently).

So shame on you pirates, second hand buyers and whatnot. I dont know how you sleep at nights.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2012