Warning - Gigabyte 780ti OC and Ghz - don't buy

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Denco, Jul 26, 2014.

1. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    There is a 15 page long discussion on Nvidia forums on why not to buy 780ti cards from Gigabyte. Short story is many of us are experiencing the same issues and it has been going on for months now. Which means that Gigabyte is selling broken products of 780ti Ghz and OC edition.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/...8toc-3gd-oc-bad-batch-/15/?offset=225#4267941

http://www.overclock.net/t/1461220/gigabyte-780-ti-ghz-edition-crashes

The cards are unstable and are crashing in games and windows most of the time. There is also a lot of artifacting but that depends on the each gpu it self. For my case the artifacting only showed in 3DMark 11 and some games like the new Wolfenstein and of course there are also system freezing issues.

Stay away from it!

EDIT: Hot Hardware review conclusion for Gigabyte ( Thanks to FreaksMulder from Nvidia forums for finding this )

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/NVID...Gigabyte-And-MSI-Duke-It-Out/?page=12#!bnGntn

What worries me here is that the reviewer didn't even had the guts to say that the card was broken. I mean If I buy a product I want it to run stable without any stability issues and would not satisfy my self until I get that product.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I've had to RMA a lot of Gigabyte products, can't say it's surprising. Stick with any other brand :p
    How'd your RMA go?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    That might explain why i have artifacts in Guild Wars 2. I tried to RMA it but those idiots from the store i bought it only tested it in furmark(sheesh),unigine don't know which one but probably haven and far cry 3 and i think firestrike also, and guess what, i don't have problems in any of those . This is the first time i have problems with a gigabyte product but i'll stay away from them from now on. At least i have problems only in gw2... could have been a lot worse.

4. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    Didn't received my card yet. I'm hoping I'll be able to replace it on the first go but my seller said that that's up to Gigabyte.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    My gigabyte 690 works flawlessly, i would buy giga again tbh

6. Arend.C

Arend.C Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming
    Same goes for my 760..

7. deluxe

deluxe Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 980Ti G1
    because those aren't custom boards that come from gigabyte's factories.

8. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I loved my Gigabyte 560ti 448 Windforce 3. That thing ran 60c in BF4.

9. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Ive had gigabyte boards in the past and they've worked fine.

10. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    Guys with non 780ti Gigabyte cards please stop posting on how your card runs ok.

This is a warning for 780ti cards from Gigabyte and even some of those will run ok.

The worrying issue here is that there are many people experiencing problems with them, and I mean many. There was even a review site that mentioned they had issues with it while conducting test's.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014

11. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Probably just bad batch of components that's made it into these cards.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    That's why I buy evga cards.

13. GeniusPr0

GeniusPr0 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Surpim LiquidX 4090
    I purposely avoided certain custom cards from them because of their of VRM cooling. Same goes for XFX.

14. D4rKy21

D4rKy21 Banned

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980 G1 SLI
    I had the same problems back in the day with my gigabyte gtx 460 in sli, artifacs hard freezings, lol this thread brings back the good old days xD

I also had weird problem with the gigabyte gtx 580 in sli they were noisy as hell and overheated pretty fast on load.

I never buy gigabyte producs again, dumb brand with allot of hardware failures.

15. Denco

Denco Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Windforce 780ti
    Thanks to FreaksMulder from Nvidia forums for finding 1 reviewer who did had issues with Gigabyte. First post updated.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014

16. jpoly007

jpoly007 Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black
    Returned mine to

I had a Gigabyte 780ti GHz it would crash a lot, tomb raider was unplayable and 3DMark 11 would crash on test 4. The Gigabyte overclock was not stable. I returned it and got a reference Titan Black and I honestly I have not had a GPU crash in any game yet.

17. Nano2k

Nano2k Guest

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    I also had a Gigabyte 780Ti that crashed at stock (underclocking would solve the crashes), luckily I was able to give it back and get two Asus 780 instead. I don't think I will get Gigabyte graphics card again.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Never owned anything from gigabyte, since the reviews of their cards never were that good. Surely they could keep up with the performance, but never with coolness and quiteness, or a compromise between the two.

19. WobbleTheHutt

WobbleTheHutt Guest

GPU:
    GB 780ti OC SLI
    I read about the issues before purchasing my pair of gb 780ti's and I am happy to say after much stress testing and punishing them with a custom bios(upped power limit etc) that they are stable. I do however know I rolled the dice.

20. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    You're kidding about the coolness and quietness i hope.